Question about iPhone 5(s)?

learninmypc

On the 26th a friend gave me his iPhone 5 (s) ? He had showed it to me several weeks earlier & I saw it was at 12% & told him it needed recharging & that was when he told me he has let it go dead before with no loss.
I recharged it on the 27th but by that evening it was dead. This morning, I shut it off & turned it back on & now it just shows the outline of a battery with about a sliver of a redline. I'm trying to recharge it but I think it's lost. I know it's a 5, but not sure if it's a 5s or not. Is it dead or ???? All totaled it's been "recharging" for an hour but still just a sliver. I was hoping to reset it one last time hopefully but.......:)

Gimage.jpegf
Pics show plugged in & unplugged. I've even tried pushing in home button & power button at same time but nothing different. I'm guessing it had died?

2nd picture image.jpegimage.jpeg

Would using iTunes help or not?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 3
So it isn't accepting a charge? I'm not sure I quite understand what the pics are trying to show.

If it was at 12% recently that shows it got above that minimal percent somewhat recently. That tells me that it CAN accept a charge, however your pics seem to imply differently.

To directly answer your last question, no, iTunes wouldn't help this.

Ok, to clarify, it is not taking a charge at all. As I said originally, my friend had told me he usually let it run down to 0% or there abouts & no problem. I've left it plugged in to recharge overnight & nothing.
Personally I've never let my iPhone/iPad go below 12% before recharging so I believe this iPhone is dead.
It worked ok the first few days then I turned it off with the dead battery & now it won't even go to the desktop.

I'd plug it into the wall thing that came with your iPad. Then I would give it about a minute of being plugged in. After that minute I would hold down the power button on the phone (it is top right on the 5s right?), hold that for a second or few until something on the screen changes. There is no reasonable explanation on how it was working and then quit.

I said earlier it wouldn't help if plugged into iTunes because I believed this to be a hardware thing on the recharging. I don't know that I think that is true anymore, so if it is software it *might* help through iTunes. You only have access to Windows machines though right? (not sure it would make any difference anyway). If so I'd fire up iTunes and plug in the phone after iTunes is up, then see if the phone shows up in any way.

How far is the nearest Apple store? It is possible it completely died, but almost every time something seems coincidental in the computer world as far as failures, it isn't. Meaning I think it is very unlikely the thing was charging up and working 2 weeks ago and now isn't.

I might be able to use an Apple pc but no guarantee. The nearest Apple Store is walking distance. I'm waiting to get my monitor replaced on my tower, using my iPad for now on this.

I'd take it to the apple store and just tell them what you said here. I have an iPod touch that the volume button for decrease doesn't work on, it was water damaged. I wouldn't tell them anything more than absolutely what you know. Based on what you have said here it seems the phone was working a couple weeks ago, now you can't get it to turn on or charge apparently.

I'd take it to the apple store and just tell them what you said here. I have an iPod touch that the volume button for decrease doesn't work on, it was water damaged. I wouldn't tell them anything more than absolutely what you know. Based on what you have said here it seems the phone was working a couple weeks ago, now you can't get it to turn on or charge apparently.
It's an iPhone 5(s) not iPod . I think you meant iPhone

No I meant iPod, I gave an example of my experience with a button not working. Maybe your power button isn't working. Mine didn't work because of water damage. This is why I brought it up and mentioned that you should not tell them any more than what you said in here. They will find water damage if there is enough to trip the sensor, but in the off chance that happened and didn't trip the sensor, you can only hurt yourself by talking more than necessary. If you tell them it got wet, they are absolutely not going to fix it for free - if it got wet and the sensor isn't tripped, you might get it fixed free.

Ok, in that case I think I'm screwed because it has a "life proof" case on it that I tried to remove to see if it was a 5 s or plain 5 so the part by the power button is broke where I gently tried to remove it. It has not gotten wet, but they won't believe me. :(

If you can get the case off they will believe you, there are moisture sensors or indicator pads inside the device, they trip if wet. If they aren't indicating moisture you are fine. I just don't know the warranty status of your device.

@SNGX1275 , the guy at apple store said is needed replacement & would cost me over $200.00 so I thanked him for the help & :( left. Oh, he told me it was a iPhone 5. Thank you for your help & patience. :)

Back