Question about reinstalling XP after installing SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I am having some problems with xp and want to reinstall it. I also have SP2 installed. When I put my original XP disk in, I get the message, "setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the cd".

I'm guessing that is because I have SP2 on the computer.

If I reinstall XP, will I have to reinstall SP2? And it also said it will change my settings. What settings will it change? I just want to get rid of all the glitches.

When I defrag, my computer always freezes and if I leave the computer on overnight, I always have to reset as it has frozen.

Thanks for your help.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I think probably the easiest way would be to backup any data you wish to keep and then do a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows.

Once you have done this if you require SP2 then download and install without doing any other updates first.

Then and only then run the Windows updates.

regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thank you.

But, I was reading another thread and I think I'm going to wait before I do a reinstall. I have xp pent 4 and 256 ram. I'm having problems with computer freezing. Everytime I try to defrag it freezes in the middle and when I leave my computer on overnight, I have to push reset as it has frozen.

As soon as I can figure out what my ram is (how do I do that??)I'm going to add it and see if that fixes the problem. I have a graphics program on my computer and I know that uses a lot of ram.

Any suggestions on this?

Linda

You can find out what Ram you have as well as a wealth of other information on your system by downloading the Everest programme from HERE

Regards Howard :grinthumb

spring cleaning

you might want to do some spring cleaning uninstalling software you dont use and checking you available space on your computer. lack of space can cause these problems. and like they said adding memory is always a good Idea. After you do this try defraging again that may solve your problem. If not you will need to reinstall.

hope this helps
Puppetgrimm1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back