Question about XFX GeForce 7300 GS card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanny_U

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my current intergrated graphics (ATI Radeon Xpress 200), with a XFX GeForce 7300 GS card.

The problem is that, my PC has a power supply unit of only 300 watts (if it wasn't for my crap PSU, then I would got a better card, like a 7600 GT).:mad:

So, can anyone please tell me the XFX GeForce 7300 GS card is compatible with 300 watts of power?

Thank You.

Yes, if the power supply is a decent brand... not if it is a Bestec, Powman, or a no-name psu.
The 7300 GS doesn't draw much power.
But of course, a 350 or 400 is better in reserve.

The 7300GS is a decent Video card.. It is my spare for backup, but If you can afford the 7600GS it would be well worth the difference for the performance gain.

NVidia 7300GS used 3 months. then replaced with 7600GS. HAPPY HAPPY

I would love to get 7600GS card, but can a 7600GS card work with only 300 watts of power?

If so can anyone tell which one?

Hell, my first choice of graphics card to upgrade to was a 7600GT, but I quite sure it wouldn't work with only 300 watts.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

As long as the power supply is from a decent brand, then it should work fine. Speaking of which give us information about your power supply do we can help you. Just saying 300W doesn't help.

beef_jerky4104 said:
As long as the power supply is from a decent brand, then it should work fine. Speaking of which give us information about your power supply do we can help you. Just saying 300W doesn't help.

Ok, beef jerky, I will give more information about my PSU, but I will oviously have to open my PC so I will have to do it tommorow, since its 12am here in London and I have exams coming up.

Frank Smith said:
http://xtreview.com/images/high-end-video-card-noise-performance/7300gs.gif

low end is 8.7 watts, max is 16.1 watts
it takes very little to run

So, if a high end GeForce 7300GS card uses only 16.1 watts max then can a 7600GS card run on a PC with 300W PSU, or what about a 7300GT card?

Yes, we have a lot of clients running it on 300 Watt psu... remember, it was not long ago that 300 Watts was a lot... and that card doesn't make big demands.

It all depends on the quality of the psu. My 305w psu has 22amps on the 12v rails and I run a 8600gt xxx with no problems.

Ok, so here some info on my PSU:

Brand: Bestec:mad:

Max output: 300W / 12V / 19A

Also, I am currently using program which saves engery of your PC called Local Cooling, and it states that my PCs' estimated power usage is about 152W.

newpicture27td8.png

So, if the program is correct in that my PC is only using about 150W, and since a XFX G-Force 7600GT XXX card uses less than 75W, about 40-50W, than I think my PSU can handle a XFX 7600GT XXX card. I will contact XFX about this, but what do you guys think.

I'm sure you'll be fine but to explain just a bit. 1st here's a link to gpu power usages:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354

The thing about power supplies is you can't go by wattage alone.
1. find out from your psu label (on the psu itself) the maximum wattage rating for the 12v rails
2. take that figure and divide by 12 to find out the amp rating
3. check the video card's requirements

beef_jerky4104 said:
I would still recommend getting a new power supply. An inexpensive Apevia 500W should do fine. And its less than $40 on newegg. That could be a solid buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148027

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. A 500w $40.00 psu?? Guess what, it's rated at 16A+18A on the 12v rails. My 305w psu is rated at 17A+18A on the 12v rails=22amps on the 12v rails

Granted my psu is a Dell OEM, but with psu's, you get what you pay for. If I were to upgrade mine the silencer 470 model costs like $100.00 and it's not much better than the one I have now. Hope this helps.

kpo6969 said:
I'm sure you'll be fine but to explain just a bit. 1st here's a link to gpu power usages:

The thing about power supplies is you can't go by wattage alone.
1. find out from your psu label (on the psu itself) the maximum wattage rating for the 12v rails
2. take that figure and divide by 12 to find out the amp rating
3. check the video card's requirements

Thanks for the info kpo6969.

On PSU label, it say that maximum wattage for 12v rails is 288W.

So, by using P=IV, I=P/V (I study Physics, lol), the amp rating comes to 24A.

So, what do you think about my PSU now kpo6969?

Also, can anyone give me any detailed requirements for any 7600GT cards (preferably for XFX 7600GT card), thanks.

Yeah, I was talking about the XXX version of 7600GT.:D

Thanks very much for your help, kpo6969 and that link you gave on your 2nd post is very informative.:grinthumb

kpo6969 said:
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. A 500w $40.00 psu?? Guess what, it's rated at 16A+18A on the 12v rails. My 305w psu is rated at 17A+18A on the 12v rails=22amps on the 12v rails

Granted my psu is a Dell OEM, but with psu's, you get what you pay for. If I were to upgrade mine the silencer 470 model costs like $100.00 and it's not much better than the one I have now. Hope this helps.

I have three of those power supply's and they work fine in mid range computers. Don't get me wrong they aren't meant for high end RIGs but one would do just fine for what he has.

Also I see that nobody added that power supply's don't actually run at there rated max. My Raidmax RX-630A Volcano 630W PSU runs at about 75-85%.

I meant no offense about the selection or quality of these psu's, I'm sure they work great for you. I was just suggesting that how manufacturers rate them can be sometimes misleading. Let me give as one example that someone wants to put a 8800GTS in their rig and the requirements state a 500w minimum psu is required. That psu would implod as soon as the power plug is plugged in. The 8800's need something like 36amps on the 12v but the manufacturer markets it as 500w. Sorry if I came across like that and no offense was intended. My rig is considered a lower mid-level by the OEM and there is nothing wrong with mid-range, since that is all my budget allows.

Here's some info on PSU's:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=161496

Video cards:

Avoid changing anything on a Bestec power supply. That is an indication that you have an almost proprietary system, either HP or Compaq, though Gateway used Bestec for a while.

Bestec does not handle change well. If you change the video graphics, change the power supply as well.

kpo6969 said:
I meant no offense about the selection or quality of these psu's, I'm sure they work great for you. I was just suggesting that how manufacturers rate them can be sometimes misleading. Let me give as one example that someone wants to put a 8800GTS in their rig and the requirements state a 500w minimum psu is required. That psu would implod as soon as the power plug is plugged in. The 8800's need something like 36amps on the 12v but the manufacturer markets it as 500w. Sorry if I came across like that and no offense was intended. My rig is considered a lower mid-level by the OEM and there is nothing wrong with mid-range, since that is all my budget allows.

No doubt, that 500W would die within seconds. All I was saying is that they are perfect for mid-range computers and lower.

Lotta doubt. That will just not be the case... if it is a properly built, or name brand Power Supply.

Ok, so after taking raybay's advice about not changing anything on a Bestec power supply, I have decieded to change my crappy PSU.

So, I thinking of getting a Hiper 580W Type-M PSU as an upgrade.

Here are some more info on that PSU:
http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4m580.html

So, what to you guys think of this PSU, do you think its good upgrade?

Also, can anyone give a link to a good PSU installation guide, although I think I can install a PSU by myself.

1st off the monitor has its own power supply, and does not use from your power supply. so that program is sort of MISS LEADING.

Every device you have in your system is rated. check ea device.
and use the MAX. required. make notes on PAPER,
add all the required power in watts together. keeping the 5vt and 12vt seperate.
Power = Amp X Volts. ( actually P = I x E) it is best to always figure the MAX used... on 5Vt and 12Vt. then check your power supply. If your Bestec says it will handle then WTF.. try it. requardless of what others say about your items - Honestly "If it works then don"t fix it " ...
personal opinions mean very little in the real world.
Apevia is about the same as Bestec... and Both NVidia and ATI are having driver problems with Vista ...

Thanks, for your advice Frank, but I think raybay is right in saying that a Brand PC with a Bestec PSU is almost proprietary system and thatBestec PSU doesn't handle change well.

I think raybay is right, because my previous PC, a Packard Bell, originally had a Bestec or someother crap PSU and when I upgraded to a GeForce FX 5700 card on my previous PC, the PSU started making a weird siren type noise about a month after installing the FX 5200 and the PSU was replaced by a technician, since that PC was still under warranty.

However, since my current Compaq PC's warranty has expired, I can't risk having this PSU crash, so I might as well upgrade it before I upgrade my graphics.

Frank Smith said:
1st off the monitor has its own power supply, and does not use from your power supply. so that program is sort of MISS LEADING.

Every device you have in your system is rated. check ea device.
and use the MAX. required. make notes on PAPER,
add all the required power in watts together. keeping the 5vt and 12vt seperate.
Power = Amp X Volts. ( actually P = I x E) it is best to always figure the MAX used... on 5Vt and 12Vt. then check your power supply. If your Bestec says it will handle then WTF.. try it. requardless of what others say about your items - Honestly "If it works then don"t fix it " ...
personal opinions mean very little in the real world.
Apevia is about the same as Bestec... and Both NVidia and ATI are having driver problems with Vista ...

WTF here's another opinion, since everyone is entitled to one. Since this whole exercise began about a video card/psu comparison the quickest way to figure out is to find out the total wattage on the psu label for 12v rails and divide by 12, then check the card's rating. That is if you believe everything you see, I know I don't, WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back