Question on ATI Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a compaq p4 1519 And was wondering if I am able to get ATI radeon video card into my comuter and be able to work before I buy it so if you can please tell me if this is at all possible or if i need to buy something else to put in my computer before the video card to be able to work.

Acoording to HP's web site you don't have a AGP or PCI Express slot. The graphic memory is 128MB shared and on-board. The only expansion slots you do have are 3 PCI and 4 DIMM. The specs are listed below.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00402440#N10033
I build alot of PCs for people and I always recommend a system that does not include on-board graphics. And if it has to have on-board graphics always make sure it has expansion slots for ugrades. On-board graphic cards are practical for those who use the PCs for office and business purposes or as a second PC. The on-board graphics are not practical for gamers and/or graphic buffs.

Correct. The 1519X has no AGP slot or PCI-E slot. The ES/IT have PCI-Express slots, so if you haven't ordered this PC yet, I'd strongly recommend cancelling the order and going with something with either AGP or PCI-Express slots for adding a 3rd party videocard.

If you're already locked into buying this PC, you can add a DX8.0/8.1 class PCI videocard, such as the Radeon 9200/9250. Unfortunately, these are indeed a couple generations behind and therefore will not offer the best experience for more recent games. They are good, quality 3D cards for those strapped to PCI-only systems, but any more modern PCI-E/AGP card would benefit by sizeable gains in performance.

I used PCI FOREVER! Then I bought a new mobo with AGP and a good AGP card and WOAH! The difference was amazing. so I agree, buy a different computer or a new mobo $35-$50 for a budget one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back