Question on Automatic Updates Tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayus

I noticed the other day that the automatic updates tab in system properties (in control pannel) had changed.

It used to look like this:
win_auto_update1.gif

Now it looks like this:
30992199-2-300-SS2_300.gif

Sorry the image is small, its the largest one i could find.

I thought that the automatic updates tab was only changed like this when u download SP2, but i have not.
So why has the tab chnaged ?

Don't know why it would have changed without getting SP2. If you had it set to automatically dl and install updates you probably have SP2 installed though.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Don't know why it would have changed without getting SP2. If you had it set to automatically dl and install updates you probably have SP2 installed though.

Ever since i can remember, I have always had the automatic update settings set to: "Notify me about new updates, & Notify me again be for installing them." So it shouldn't have downloaded sp2 without me knowing.

Recently wuauclt.exe was allowed to run, and that caused my internet connection not to work, could that have anything to do with this ?

Right click on My Computer and go to Properties. See if you have SP2 installed.

It says:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

SP2 not installed.

Heh. I'm not sure why it would do that, but I do have an idea:

I had SP2 RC1 on my computer and then removed it so this may be why I see what I do. But yesterday I went to Add/Remove Programs and I saw several of the updates had SP1 next to them and a few had SP2 next to them.
You might want to check there in yours and see if any say SP2 next to them.

Actually I have thought of another thing that is related to it as I was typing. I remember seeing an Automatic Update on the list when I go to windows update (but I never have installed it since I don't use automatic updates). I bet that was one that you have installed, and it has changed its apparence.

Heh. I'm not sure why it would do that, but I do have an idea:

I had SP2 RC1 on my computer and then removed it so this may be why I see what I do. But yesterday I went to Add/Remove Programs and I saw several of the updates had SP1 next to them and a few had SP2 next to them.
You might want to check there in yours and see if any say SP2 next to them.

Actually I have thought of another thing that is related to it as I was typing. I remember seeing an Automatic Update on the list when I go to windows update (but I never have installed it since I don't use automatic updates). I bet that was one that you have installed, and it has changed its apparence.

Yeah, over half of the windows xp hotfix's in the add/remove programs list have, "(SP2)" next to them..

I tried to check my installation history on the windows update site, but the site isn't working. It just brings up a page saying:

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. [Error number: 0x800A0005]

Dayus.

It's brought by a Windows Update. Mine has also changed & I have yet to install SP2 (automatic updating is disabled on this machine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back