1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Quiz: Google tests your ability to spot phishing attempts

By Polycount · 15 replies
Jan 22, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. If you're a TechSpot regular, the chances are good that you've seen dozens (if not hundreds) of scammy emails over the years.

Whether they come in the form of irresistible offers from Nigerian princes or fake password reset emails, spam and phishing messages have become easily-ignored white noise for many of us. However, less tech-savvy individuals fall victim to these sorts of scams all the time. Given how legitimate many such emails appear upon first glance, it's not hard to see why that's the case.

As part of an ongoing attempt to better educate less-informed internet users about these scams, Google subsidiary Jigsaw has rolled out a new quiz designed to test your ability to spot phishing attempts.

After entering your name and email (which can be fake), Jigsaw's quiz will give you eight email examples. Each example will include two answer choices -- "Legitimate" and "Phishing" -- at the top, along with some context information to help you make your decision.

Below those buttons, you'll see a snippet of an email along with all of the information you need to decide whether or not it's a phishing attempt. Some of the red flags you'll see are suspicious email addresses and spoofed URLs.

Whether you spot these discrepancies or not, Jigsaw's quiz will display some helpful on-screen prompts to draw your attention to them after you make your choice. Despite believing I'd pass the quiz with flying colors, I managed to let one scam slip by me, earning me an imperfect 7/8 score.

As such, even if you're a tech enthusiast it's probably worth taking the quiz for yourself. At worst, you'll learn nothing and walk away with a helpful educational tool you can send to friends or family. At best, you'll be able to better identify one or two new types of scams in the future.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2019
  2. techseven

techseven TS Enthusiast Posts: 25   +20

The link to the quiz links to this article...

jobeard, Humza, Julio Franco and 2 others like this.
  3. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 576   +282

You ve been played

techseven and Julio Franco like this.
  4. gusticles41

gusticles41 TS Guru Posts: 339   +385

Eldritch, Julio Franco and ShagnWagn like this.
  5. Cubi Dorf

Cubi Dorf TS Booster Posts: 111   +40

I don’t trust any email. Assuming it all phish.

barca1au, ShagnWagn and seeprime like this.
  6. ckm88

ckm88 TS Enthusiast Posts: 50   +30

Now I don't trust this article! :eek:

techseven likes this.
  7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 8,088   +1,193

Now fixed :D

ckm88 and techseven like this.
  8. Polycount

Polycount TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,399   +323

Weird. It was working when I published, but it was re-scheduled at some point and something seemed to have broken.

I've fixed it, regardless. Thanks for the heads-up.

techseven likes this.
  9. ShagnWagn

ShagnWagn TS Guru Posts: 537   +367

I got 7/8, but the one I "missed" was on the side of caution. I would never let an app have access to my email. That is jacked up someone/company who wrote an app would even want that. No thanks.

barca1au, jpuroila and Eldritch like this.
  10. Bats Dude

Bats Dude TS Rookie Posts: 16

When you consider that Googoo is the BIGGEST spyware/data farmer in the entire world, just who is so stupid as to let them farm anything on their own systems?

11. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 2,304   +375

There was one I got that could get anyone. But I will not repeat it or the details. No it did not get me and I will not say why as that could hint to its content.

12. Eldritch

Eldritch TS Booster Posts: 90   +85

Lol, exactly same result.
    My takeaway from this is that Google is trying to legitmize that sharing of emails to third parties is OK and you are wrong if you are alarmed by that.

barca1au and ShagnWagn like this.
  13. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TechSpot Staff Posts: 569   +568

So long, and thanks for all the phish.

Cycloid Torus and techseven like this.
  14. techseven

techseven TS Enthusiast Posts: 25   +20

I knew something was phisy

Polycount likes this.
  15. lazer

lazer TS Booster Posts: 199   +41

Never follow links in emails.
    once I got a email from 'amazon' that my purchase of a violin would be delivered to my home in some far away place. My first thought was what? let me cancel it by clicking on this link, but instead I opened my browser went to Amazon and there was no record of any such purchase.

so I NEVER click on any email link.

16. gusticles41

gusticles41 TS Guru Posts: 339   +385

Can't really tell that to my company's Accounting team that needs to open multiple Docusign links in a day. But as a personal user, sure.

Knowing the difference between a Hyperlink and a URL is VERY important.