Radeon 9800 Pro stock fan noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

satchmo

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro since the beginning of 2005. It's been working flawlessly until recently. Whenever I power up the computer, there's this loud whirring noise for about 10 seconds. Then it gets softer and goes away. This only happens occasionally, but it's been happening more frequently (about every other power up).

The noise never happens after the power up, and it does not happen when I reboot the computer. I opened up the chassis multiple times, and for some reason whenever the case is open, the noise never happens. All the fans are working when I checked them with the chassis open.

I disconnected the chassis fan one by one, and the noise still occur. So I suspect it's either the PSU fan or the GPU fan on my 9800 Pro. The CPU fan turns at its own sound that I readily recognize, so I don't think that's the problem. In addition, I've been monitoring the temperature of my CPU and motherboard, and they're all fine (CPU idling around 46 Celsius, and the mobo is around 30). Even after thirty rounds of CS:S, the CPU temp is only about 51 Celsius.

So, I am just wondering whether I need to worry about the noise and whether anyone else is having the same problem. I searched the forum already, and I didn't find anything obvious that's related to my problem.

Please provide some feedback. Thanks.

Get an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer for under $20. Its extremely quiet and cools the card alot better than the stock fan. The stock fans never last long, especially the ones on Saphire cards.

As soon as you start your pc up, when the noise happens, try carefully stopping your GPU fan with a ruber or something similar. If the noise stops, well, there was the source.

If it's dirty, then try cleaning it with compressed air.

If it's your PSU fan, try cleaning it with compressed air as well, if it keeps going on, then it's time to replace it, unless you can deal with the noise with no problem.

Another small thing that you might have already checked is your wiring. Some loose wires can sometimes get in the way of things...doesn't seem like thats the problem now, but who knows. I also have a 9800pro and my comp is in the garage so it collects lots of dirt. I recently opened up my case and was tinkering around, i turned on power and noticed the 9800's fan was not working, thinking I killed it i panicked and flicked it...nothing happened. In the end it turned out dust/dirt got in the computer so the fan stopped working. I probably wasnt that much help, but if all else fails, stick ur head in the case and start blowing like a mad man.

Vacuum

Is it advisable to use a regular vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out? I ran out of compressed air.

I know using the vacuum can generate signifcant amount of static electricity under certain circumstances. I'll be careful.

Thanks.

No, be Extra, Extra Careful. ;).
I sometimes use the Vacuum, and it works ok as long as you have a good grip.

I finally pin-pointed the noise. With the chassis open, I used my stethoscope (I am a doctor) to listen to all the fans, and the sound clearly comes from the GPU fan, as I suspected.

I thoroughly vacuumed the inside of my computer, and manually cleaned the dust on the GPU fan. However, the noise persists. I do know that the fan works perfectly, so I don't mind living with the noise. It only lasts a few seconds anyway.

Thanks guys.

Thank. I already did. That was the first thing I checked, and all my wiring are tied in a bundle, out of the way of any fans.

I have the same kinda card (9800 pro) and the exact same problem. Only my noise lasts for about 20 secs at a time.

While the computer is starting up and the fan is making the noise, it doesn't spin at the right speed, but noticeably slower. It seems like it's catching up on the speed and when it reaches the normal spinning rate, the noise stops.

I tried cleaning the whole thing, but it didn't seem to help..I recon it might have something to do with running the GPU (and the card's memory) on slightly higher frequency..and since there probably is some kind of temperature sensor in the card that controls the fan speed, the above-par temp might have damaged the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back