Radeon HD 7970M vs GeForce GTX 580 (desktop)

Mister_K

Was wondering if the AMD 7970M outperforms the GTX 580 desktop card. I am only asking this since I heard it on some forums, just wanted to double-check (google no yielding any search results).

Was wondering if the AMD 7970M outperforms the GTX 580 desktop card. I am only asking this since I heard it on some forums, just wanted to double-check (google no yielding any search results).
Which forums? S|A...Rage3D ? whomever they are they seem to be in the terminal stages of red-itis

7970M is a desktop HD 7870 with HD 7850 clocks. If you want some better indicator, check Steve's review of both cards. The 7970M would be a little higher than the HD 7850 results. Clockspeed is generally more sensitive to performance than shader count- especially if the ROP count is unchanged.

Which forums? S|A...Rage3D ? whomever they are they seem to be in the terminal stages of red-itis

7970M is a desktop HD 7870 with HD 7850 clocks. If you want some better indicator, check Steve's review of both cards. The 7970M would be a little higher than the HD 7850 results. Clockspeed is generally more sensitive to performance than shader count- especially if the ROP count is unchanged.

Mac Rumours, heard it performs same / outperforms 580.

Thanks for replies, will look through the review Divide linked and the benchmarks too.

Oh... you are right. Must review this whole thread then to make things right.

After more research (taking my previous mistake into account) it seems the 7970M might be as fast as a desktop GTX 570... which is incredible imo. That's assuming the results from http://compare-processors.com/rank/notebookgraphics.php?AMD Radeon HD 7970M=on&cp=Compare are accurate. I'd like to get my hands on a laptop with this card in it so I can see for myself.

Back