Radeon RX 7900 XTX vs. GeForce RTX 4080

Are those prices "real" prices or paper/advertisment prices?

Here in Germany we have nearly a dozen different RTX 4080 custom designs in stock for prices between 1330€ and 1400€

The cheapest RX 7900 XTX on the other hand is 1350€, the second cheapest 1390€, both are reference designs. The only custom design in stock is the PC Red Devil and it is well over 1400€

Dont know why anybody would chose the 7900XTX at those prices...

Im not buying any of these cards. Currently using a 3070. Bought it for 700 euros.

Which is about the max I'm paying for a card. And to be honest, with DLSS in the picture.. even the 3070 brings me enough frames on 4K when I disable ray tracing (which is hardly noticeable anyway)

In Serbia, where RTX 4070 Ti was released for whatever reason, these two cards are both 1600 EUR.

That's no brainer, You take $200 cheaper card, as RT is still in It's infancy, obviously.
I'll just wait till cards in that performance range drop under 600 and I'm porking my piggybank.
The no-brainer is to avoid these cards. AMD wins in value here IMO but it just means it's less bad of a deal.

I still think the 7900XTX will mature with driver updates. For a gen1 GPU chiplet, it's still super impressive. I'm sure their next attempt in a year or 2 will be impressive as they will have ironed out any issues with the chiplet design.
FineWine is a barrel of copium for early adopters.

The 7900xtx will never be a 4090 killer, ever. In 5-6 years, it may end up being 5-7% faster then a 4080, when it no longer matters and the RX 9700 is faster then the 7900 ever was.

This is what happened to the 7000 series. Sure, it ended up being 5% faster then the 680, but by the time that happened the 1080 was out and nobody cared.

Looks like 2023 will bring back the fair and unbiased Steve that we lost in 2022.

The whole video was great, except for the part that he pushes DLSS as being THAT superior, even though when Tim himself said its not that big difference anymore.

Worse, DLSS is an insult to the nvidia loyal fans, since it looks like Nvidia will abuse it to force the sheep to buy a new GPU with every new version and honestly Steve, that should be a huge negative instead of a pro.

I can already see nvidia pushing a new DLSS version with each new GPU family and somehow, reviewers will be ok with that.

Well....maybe I'm weird but I find both of these cards so meh.

Price of both just kills any excitement for me. Hopefully they sell terrible and the a-holes at Nvidia and AMD stop with the ridiculous prices.

FineWine is a barrel of copium for early adopters.

The 7900xtx will never be a 4090 killer, ever. In 5-6 years, it may end up being 5-7% faster then a 4080, when it no longer matters and the RX 9700 is faster then the 7900 ever was.

This is what happened to the 7000 series. Sure, it ended up being 5% faster then the 680, but by the time that happened the 1080 was out and nobody cared.
The 7970 aged much better than the 680 and is still useful in modern games today, while the 680 can be around 25-30% slower. Lack of VRAM probably doesn't help. Although I can't see 16GB Vs 24GB being an issue even at 4K. I imagine 12GB will be what most people will need for gaming for the next 5 years. The 30 series from Nvidia shafted gamers with its low VRAM amount, I say this as an owner of the 3060ti.

Looks like 2023 will bring back the fair and unbiased Steve that we lost in 2022.

The whole video was great, except for the part that he pushes DLSS as being THAT superior, even though when Tim himself said its not that big difference anymore.

Worse, DLSS is an insult to the nvidia loyal fans, since it looks like Nvidia will abuse it to force the sheep to buy a new GPU with every new version and honestly Steve, that should be a huge negative instead of a pro.

I can already see nvidia pushing a new DLSS version with each new GPU family and somehow, reviewers will be ok with that.
I think it's more that DLSS 2.X has more game support whilst FSR 2.X does not. Which is why Steve is saying DLSS is a better feature.
I wasn't sure about DLSS until I played control and the game looks so much sharper than its default AA solution.

I think it's more that DLSS 2.X has more game support whilst FSR 2.X does not. Which is why Steve is saying DLSS is a better feature.
More games might have it, but more gamers will have access to FSR enabled games.
Did you forget that FSR works on nvidia gpus that dear leader jensen decided to abandon?
I wasn't sure about DLSS until I played control and the game looks so much sharper than its default AA solution.
I appreciate the sharpness, but I dont like the tech because it is essentially cheating to produce higher FPS which is the metric that everyone runs with. And DLSS 3 is even worse with the fake frames insertion.

That's no brainer, You take $200 cheaper card, as RT is still in It's infancy, obviously.
I'll just wait till cards in that performance range drop under 600 and I'm porking my piggybank.
It's a no brainer, you don't buy either of these GPUs as they are expensive and not truly required for a quality gaming experience. But, if you are going to buy and spend this amount of money, then I would get the card that delivers performance in both raster and RT. RT may be in its infancy, but what about next year or the year after? When RT becomes more common you'll be stuck with a GPU that can't handle it.

It was never meant to be one.

No, but people were speculating that at 1.7x the 6950 performance it would come close to the 4090. There was a lot of speculation and bad math built around those 5 apps that AMD showed when they announced the 7900 series. But that was largely wishful thinking by people who wanted AMD to crush Nvidia. As it is, AMD produced an OK product, but still over-priced for most of us. Neither AMD nor Nvidia addressed the real issue here and that is the demand for a decent mid-high end GPU in the $500-700 range.

No, but people were speculating that at 1.7x the 6950 performance it would come close to the 4090.
AMD has used the "9" to represent their top tier, but that doesnt mean they are competing with nvidia top tier.
But that was largely wishful thinking by people who wanted AMD to crush Nvidia.
What pisses me off about this is, those same people never had the intention to buy AMD. They only wanted AMD to "crush" nvidia, so nvidia would be forced to cut prices, so those people could buy a cheaper nvidia.
AMD produced an OK product, but still over-priced for most of us.
Going by current prices, the sad reality is, AMD is still a bit better.

But both of them really suck at their current prices, nvidia way more than amd though.

My 3080Ti is still fine for everything but when more demanding games show up I'll probably get a 4080. Maybe a 4090 if I feel like it.
Definitely not interested in anything RDNA3.

AMD has used the "9" to represent their top tier, but that doesnt mean they are competing with nvidia top tier.
I didn't say they were, but people were pushing that pipe-dream until we had real benchmarks to look at.
What pisses me off about this is, those same people never had the intention to buy AMD. They only wanted AMD to "crush" nvidia, so nvidia would be forced to cut prices, so those people could buy a cheaper nvidia.
Maybe, I saw a lot of people saying they would go AMD, but when the performance was only "good" they didn't. Many, like me, still haven't bought any GPU largely because the price points are too high. Some people are holding on to what they have, others are waiting to see where things go. Now that we have the full set of "high-end" GPUs to look at, don't be surprised if people flock to the 4070, simply because it's the cheapest of the bunch right now.
Going by current prices, the sad reality is, AMD is still a bit better.

But both of them really suck at their current prices, nvidia way more than amd though.
Better is a speculative term. I'd say Nvidia is better because it performs better in RT. But, I'm not looking to spend $1000+ on any GPU. Even $800 for the 4070 is high, in my opinion. Bottom line is that we are all disappointed because this generation of GPUs is too expensive.

I didn't say they were, but people were pushing that pipe-dream until we had real benchmarks to look at.
They can push as much as they want, its simply mental gymnastics to justify buying a over expensive nvidia gpu.
Maybe, I saw a lot of people saying they would go AMD, but when the performance was only "good" they didn't.
Nah, those people simply wanted AMD to be faster to force cheaper nvidia prices. The ones that would buy AMD, would anyways, specially that for the last couple of gens, they have punched above their weight (rasterization wise) but everyone ignores that.
still haven't bought any GPU largely because the price points are too high.
I do not blame you one bit, prices are simply insane.
don't be surprised if people flock to the 4070, simply because it's the cheapest of the bunch right now.
Same as above, they will buy nvidia because its nvidia.
I'd say Nvidia is better because it performs better in RT.
Please stop the RT bs, pushed down our throats by the influencers because its what their nvidia marketing overlords pays them to say.
RT is currently a gimmick that tanks performance for no visual benefits (except maybe 5 or so games).

There are thousands of good PC games, plus what you can play via console emulation that dont have neither really need RT.

The 7970 aged much better than the 680 and is still useful in modern games today, while the 680 can be around 25-30% slower. Lack of VRAM probably doesn't help. Although I can't see 16GB Vs 24GB being an issue even at 4K. I imagine 12GB will be what most people will need for gaming for the next 5 years. The 30 series from Nvidia shafted gamers with its low VRAM amount, I say this as an owner of the 3060ti.
I can confirm that, two of my brothers, one bought the 680 and the other bought the 7970, the 7970 was £30 cheaper than the 680, it had 1GB more memory then the 680 and aged a lot better over the long run.

Early on, performance of the 7970 was around 7% slower on average compared to the 680 but overtime, it gained a lot of performance and ended up being around 25% faster than the 680, depending on game, it was a cheaper card, had more memory and better performance, it was a better card at the time with the only real downside is that it used a bit more power but the gap was pretty small compared to gpu's today.

As for the 7900XTX, it's remarkable the performance is where it is with the mess the drivers are in, it wouldn't surprise me if there are some big performance gains on these cards over the long run and a little hint could be with how the performance is all over the place per game.

If I was buying this card, I would buy going on the performance it delivers now, if you're happy with that for the price, you're good, performance overtime is likely going to get better, more so than the 4080 will and if ray tracing isn't that big of a deal, it's a decent card but even with ray tracing, we're still talking 3090ti level of performance, so the 7900XTX is still good at ray tracing, that might get better with more mature drivers but Nvidia will likely lead on that this gen.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any of these AMD or Nvidia cards, both are overpriced and in the case of AMD's cards, it's better to wait for the drivers to mature, performance, stability is likely to be better later this year and the price might drop because none of these cards from both companies are selling in the current market.

Are those prices "real" prices or paper/advertisment prices?

Here in Germany we have nearly a dozen different RTX 4080 custom designs in stock for prices between 1330€ and 1400€

The cheapest RX 7900 XTX on the other hand is 1350€, the second cheapest 1390€, both are reference designs. The only custom design in stock is the PC Red Devil and it is well over 1400€

Dont know why anybody would chose the 7900XTX at those prices...

I bought from Germany too. Euro prices are a completely different story to USD MSRP. At the time I was looking, 7900XTX was a non-runner if it was even in stock. The GPU market is still a mess...

If you buy either of these cards, you become part of the problem that has turned the GPU market into a complete & total Cluster#**k.

So don't do it.

Wish it was that simple. Hadn't upgraded in nearly 7 years. Last gens were also overpriced or out of stock. There were no other good options. This is in Europe.

It's the greedy mining community and scalpers that ruined everything, and Nvidia and AMD are still taking their pound of flesh from genuine gamers.

Back