Radeon x1300 receiving Code 12 Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

First, let me apologize if this topic has been hit before, but I can't seem to quite find the answer I'm looking for. And second, I apologize for being ignorant when it comes to computers. I basically know enough to be dangerous to myself and my system!

My wife recently bought me some video games for our computer, one of which is Call of Duty 2. I currently have a Dell Dimension 2400 w/Pentium 4 at 2.8 ghz running Windows XP Professional. I also have 1G of RAM. But the game wouldn't play. So I purchased the VisionTek ATI Radeon x1300 256 PCI card. I only have 3 PCI slots, two of which are being used (memory upgrade and a sound card).

Of course, installation never works the way it should. I followed the instructions, physically installed the card and installed the drivers from the included CD. And nothing. Under the device manager, I disabled the built-in Intel graphics chip. But my x1300 Card has a Code 12 Error Message - basically stating there is not enough free resources to run my card. I tried walking through the Troubleshooting Wizard, and got to the point where I am to find conflicting devices and try to reconfigure. This is where I get really confused.

I guess my first question is it really worth all the hassle to play a few games? Right now it's not in my budget to spend $2000 for a new computer, so I was hoping $110 would hold me over.
And if it is worth my time, any recommendations/suggestions on how to fix this problem? Has anybody else encountered this problem with this card?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

~Steve

Of course, installation never works the way it should. I followed the instructions, physically installed the card and installed the drivers from the included CD. And nothing. Under the device manager, I disabled the built-in Intel graphics chip. But my x1300 Card has a Code 12 Error Message - basically stating there is not enough free resources to run my card. I tried walking through the Troubleshooting Wizard, and got to the point where I am to find conflicting devices and try to reconfigure. This is where I get really confused.

1. A disabled device still consumes resources!
  2. You should look through the Dell documentation as i'm guessing you probably have an onboard graphics card and you need to disable the card in BIOS (not Device Manager)
    • BIOS is your kind of "system configuration chip" that dicates much of what follows. Generall, to entery your BIOS you must reboot. Immediately and during the Dell flash screen after powering up, start tapping F2 to get into the BIOS setup screen. BE CAREFUL OF CHANGING ONLY THOSE SETTINGS YOU ARE SURE OF
    • Browse through the pages of setup options and you're likely one that allows you to enable/disable the onboard (or they may call it "integrated") graphics card. DISABLE it
See this MS KB133240 as well

LookinAround,
Thanks for the information. I'll try that when i get home tonight.

If I disable my onboard graphics card, will I still be able to plug my monitor into the factory port and use it to get online if I need additional support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back