Radeon X1900XTX - what do I do for Crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, newbie here, first of all I'd lie to say thanks to you guys and gals as this site has seriously helped me put together a nice machine...I think....

AMD 64 Dual Core FX-62
Asus Crosshair AMD AM2 nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
OCZ 2GB (2*1GB sticks) PC2 6400 PC26400 PLATINUM EDITION XTC, 800Mhz 4-5-4-15
2*320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SataII 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MBcache - (will be putting into an array)
18x SONY AW-G170A Dual Layer DVD +/-RW/RAM ReWriter
Logitech G7 wireless gaming mouse
Zboard keyboard
Cooler Master iGreen Power 600W
X1900XTX 512MB DDRIII VIVO ATI RADEON DVI I X1900 XTX

That last one's the purpose of this post. I was swithering between Sli or Crossfire and opted for the X1900XTX. I'm panicing now as at some point will want to go crossfire and I'm unsure if I have made a wise choice. Especially as I see the 1950XTX is out! Is there a big difference between those two?

and crutially do I need a crossfire edition X1900 XTX or just an identical X1900XTX card to get crossfire on my system?

Cheers

Joe

To run Crossfire, you need a Crossfire edition card and a "normal" variety card.

The Crossfire edition card acts as a "master" whereas any normal of the same variety is the "slave" card. So when you decide to go Crossfire, you'll want a Crossfire edition of what you have.

In your case, if your X1900 is a true-blue ATI model, you'll want to add:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195001

You did the correct thing. For single-card operation, you buy the standard edition, then if/when you decide to go Crossfire, you get the Crossfire Edition/Master card.

In addition to what Sharkfood already mentioned, you'll also need a Crossfire compatible motherboard. Your current board is SLI which means you need Nvidia cards to make SLI work in your rig.

Good point by mailpup that I assumed you were already on-key with.

In order to run Crossfire, you obviously need a Crossfire compatible mainboard. If you're planning on future-upgrade to Crossfire, you'll need a Crossfire (not SLI) motherboard as well.

Crossfire is vastly different from SLI in it's requirements from the PCI-E bus. SLI motherboards aren't up to this task.

Yep seems like i've made a slight mis-calculation there then!

The motherboard is CrossHAIR not FIRE (I think I've read them as the same thing) and yeah is meant for SLI.

Doh!

It'll be a while before I'll be changing so it will need to do me just now.

Thanks folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back