RAID 0 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danstar10

Hi guys,

Im having some major probs here. after all sorts of crap i won't get into i finally decided i needed a fresh install of windows XP home - so i have inserted my 'recovery' CD on startup and tried a fresh install.

I have 2x 200GB Western Digital HDDs which were set up in RAID (i think its RAID 0 where they act as 1x 400gb HDD).

I selected to install windows and it showed two HDDs with one partition of approx 400GB - great. so i tried the fresh install here. it reformatted NTFS - got to 50% after a while then shot up from 50% to 100% in a few secs. It then said it cannot install XP (cant remember the reason :blink: ) .

Sooo, I then deleted the partition and made a new one which is now around 200gb on on HDD. I am unsure how to get the partition back to around 400GB which is using both the HDDs in RAID. The 200GB partition gets to 100% NTFS format as expected, then 'installs' XP - then it restarts its self as expected but when it gets to the XP loading screen it always gives a BSOD saying 'UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME'.

On startup it says the RAID 'nvidia stripe' (i think) is healthy.

Basically my now dilema is i just want to get windows working in any way - it would be ideal for it to work with the HHDs as 400GB RAID again but if it comes to it i could settle for 2x 200GBs.

It is possible that the HDDs (or one of them) are 'damaged' (or not healthy) but previous Checkdisk scans showed no probs.

Is there any way to get XP booting again with these HDDs as they are? Any advice would be much appreciated.

When you started from the 'press any key to boot from cd' and then used F6 to install the Raid drivers and then the installation/partition page comes up, you have to delete ALL partitions and start fresh.

Hi CCT, i do not have any drivers as far as i am aware, i have a motherboard utility CD which i inserted when f6 was pressed but it didnt do anything. when i push f6 it asks for a cd. I have found a 'WD Serial ATA RAID Controller Card Driver' from the HDD manufacturers website but the website instructions talk about using it with a RAID controller which is a piece of hardware as far as i am aware.

I missed the 'recovery' cd part of your post.

I haven't a clue how they manage that for Raid drivers, probably slipstreamed.

You STILL have to delete ALL old partitions and format the raid array as far as I know.

yeah i can delete all the partitions no problem, however i am unsure about what to give it when i push f6 for RAID drivers - i.e. a CD or floppy disc

ok, but to get to this screen i need to have inserted a driver cd / floppy when F6 is pushed do i not? (which i dont have). excuse me if im being a little slow but i have not dealt with anything like this before.

You can either list your specs so we know what you have or you yourself can go to the company page for the make/model/motherboard you have and read about Raid installation.

Ah ok i thought it would be from the HDD manufacturers site that i would need the driver.

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI the model is GA-K8N Pro-SLI.

I have a Utility CD that came with the motherboard and i tried it when i pushed F6 but nothing happened.

One more thing, before i try anything else is there a difinitive way that i can check that neither of the HDDs have errors on them?

Great i have that now from GIGABYTE - it is a .exe so should i put this on a floppy disk an then it should be recognised when F6 is pushed?

Any advice on checking the HDD health before i go any further would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back