Raid0 vs 10,000rpm!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonwalker

So I was wondering what is better for gaming. A raptor 150gb 10,00rpm alone or two 7200 drives in raid0. I dont need TOO much space, but I think I will need more than 150gb. So is there a way I can get faster loading times with the raptor, but put the music, videos, and other things on the bigger slower drive. Or would it be cheaper and faster to get 2 drives in RAID0. I dont really care about the risk of loosing data. I will not be putting anything to important. Only a bunch of games, programs like photoshop or illastrator, and a lot of music.

Thank you. I was to lazy to search...

So the raptor is better for gaming. What about my other question, is there a way i can get better loading times, but still have the game on the bigger slower HD?

Well

I beleive due to its faster seek times it will load maps faster...But in all honosty there isnt much differnce between my friends single raptor and my raid 0 array playing the same game and we have similar computers

Nope

Still stuck with the RAID O I just didnt want to sacrifce space for a possible speed increase. I used that raptor drive in my buddies system and like I said there isnt much differnce if any in our load times playing the same game.

Sometimes the little things count to, defrag often as we are downloading freakins of nature. Can increase seek time up to 5% with top end HD's

Well...

You could always raid 0 two of the "little", ahem, "cheaper" Raptors.
They don't support NCQ, but you would be the (or very close to) the envy of every kid on your block.

Something that gives a nod to the larger drives is that they read and write best in the outer one third of their capacity. So, you're only getting the best specs on 100 GB of a 300 GB drive.

captaincranky said:
You could always raid 0 two of the "little", ahem, "cheaper" Raptors.
They don't support NCQ, but you would be the (or very close to) the envy of every kid on your block.

Something that gives a nod to the larger drives is that they read and write best in the outer one third of their capacity. So, you're only getting the best specs on 100 GB of a 300 GB drive.

I dont want to pay 300 bucks on two raptors. What about my second question!!!!!!!!!!!

Your question was already answered twice.
Hard drives give the best performance for data in the beginning of the disk and you should efragment often.

Nodsu said:
Your question was already answered twice.
Hard drives give the best performance for data in the beginning of the disk and you should efragment often.

I meant can I put the most of my stuff onto the bigger slower drive and still somehow use the raptor for fast loading times.

300........?

antonwalker said:
I dont want to pay 300 bucks on two raptors. What about my second question!!!!!!!!!!!

So you know, the "baby" (36GB) Raptors are about 100 bucks a pop (OEM).

It's always a really good idea to have a separate system drive from the volume where you keep your files.

Third !!!!!!!!!!

antonwalker said:
I meant can I put the most of my stuff onto the bigger slower drive and still somehow use the raptor for fast loading times.
Well, if you have little RAM and make heavy use of the pagefile when loading games, then you could put the pagefile on the Raptor..

HD performance has three contributors:
Seek Time to position the arm to the correct cylinder for the data,
Latency (or rotational delay) to wait for the correct record on the track,
the actual transfer time via PIO or DMA (which is a constant on any given system).

Raid-0 will reduce the effect of Seek Times
and 10k vs 7200 rpm impacts the Latency

BUT Seek times are always >> Latency

So when performing many random reads, you would opt for Raid-0,
while sequential reads would opt for 10k rpm :)

Nodsu said:
Well, if you have little RAM and make heavy use of the pagefile when loading games, then you could put the pagefile on the Raptor..

Well I am going to have 2gb of RAM. Tell me more about this pagefile thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back