Ram issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pin0ydude

Hi
I tried to upgrade my ram from 256mb to 512mb.
So I removed two 128mb ram modules from another computer and put it in the system I wanted to upgrade. The 256mb ram is PC133 and ONE of the 128mb ram modules is PC133 while the other is PC100.
Here is my problem:
I used cpu-z to check the memory slots and all three ram modules are detected, but it shows only 384mb of ram.
I assumed that since 256+128+128=512, that would be the case, but apparently not. I think it has to do with the lone PC100?

I removed the PC100 and now the system says that there is 320mb ram...?
256+128 is meant to equal 384.

I'm totally confused at the moment.
Any help? thanks

I see.
Thanks for clearing that up:)
so if the PC100 one is installed, does all the ram run at 100mhz instead of 133mhz?

Would it make a big difference in terms of boot up times, loading programs, etc if I left the ram at 133mhz or if i add the 100mhz ram, making them all 100mhz?

Woops sorry, another general rule (but this is the last)

It's always best to have more Ram

I'm thinking hard, but can't think of the third one, but go ahead and ask if you have another Q.

Hey thanks. I appreciate your help. Do you know if SDRAM is still available brand new? Or is it obsolete now?

Also, this is off topic but currently DVD playback is choppy and slow. Would upgrading the graphics card improve this as well as more ram? I currently have an ATI Rage XL AGP graphics card which is pretty basic...could you recommend any cheap graphics cards that are AGP and that are just enough to play DVDs smoothly without having to upgrade my power supply?

I can find drivers on the web, way faster than I can find prices of hardware !!
20-153-101-03.jpg

I'm sure Newegg have them, but I just can't work out exactly where?

Again newegg

edit:

I kept searching !

I think this is it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820153101

Wow thanks :)
OK, one last q.

Off topic, but currently DVD playback is choppy and slow. Would upgrading the graphics card improve this as well as more ram? I currently have an ATI Rage XL AGP graphics card which is pretty basic...could you recommend any cheap graphics cards that are AGP and that are just enough to play DVDs smoothly without having to upgrade my power supply?

Run this
http://www.powerleap.com/downloads/exe/InSPECS.exe
Run Run
Allow blocked content
Yes
Click on "Graphics" (on LHS)
Click on "More Information" (on RHS)
You can upgrade to that card on your system

Mind you, I really don't think you should spend too much on a low grade system. Better to save and purchase a newer system <-- Definately recommended
(This includes not buying ram too)

Sales is not my area at all, ie your other thread un-answered by me

Not sure which way you'll go (Update Ram, or not update)

If I could try to help you further, I'd say don't spend anymore money
Anyway you came to a free board, so there may be hope.

Just use your PC normally (ie the games might be a bit slow)
Save Save Save
Come back,, and create a new thread, "I have X amount of dollars, who can help me purchase a new system?" (don't make the heading that long though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back