Microsoft prepping hardware guidelines for "AI PCs": TOPS and RAM requirements expected

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Manufacturers are gearing up to flood the consumer market with a wave of "AI-capable" Windows PCs starting later this year, but they will apparently need to meet a number of minimum requirements to earn that designation from Microsoft.

Both TrendForce and Tom's Hardware sources believe Microsoft will require new Windows PCs to meet a performance threshold of at least 40 TOPS (trillions of operations per second) to be labeled as a true AI PC.

Qualcomm's Snapdragon X Elite platform, which is expected to ship in the second half of 2024, could be one of the first to meet Microsoft's performance requirements at around 45 TOPS. TrendForce said Qualcomm's early compliance could position it and partners like Dell, Asus, Lenovo, and Acer to capture early AI PC interest, which could cause the x86 camp some grief.

Intel's Meteor Lake platform is said to fall short of Microsoft's requirements at around 34 TOPS, but Lunar Lake might qualify when it arrives later this year. AMD's Ryzen 8000 series (Strix Point) will also get the nod, TrendForce added.

The market researcher further noted that Microsoft will set a new minimum baseline for DRAM capacity in AI PCs (16 GB). This should not be a major hurdle for desktop users with quick and easy upgrade paths, nor is it likely to be a concern for enthusiasts that consider 16 GB to already be the absolute minimum for a new PC (and are more comfortable with 32 GB of RAM).

Existing laptop owners with memory soldered in place, however, will have some tougher decisions to make if they want to jump on the AI PC bandwagon. Fortunately, soldered memory might not be around for too much longer thanks to the new CAMM2 memory standard.

Bumping the minimum RAM requirement of new Windows PCs could also help to stabilize the memory market, which has struggled as of late to the point that manufacturers have had to cut production to help clear out mounting inventory and correct prices.

Permalink to story.

Anyone notice Obama and Gates pushing AI very fast? Bill Gates did an interview 1-2 days ago pushing AI in healthcare and with the shadiness going on with those two and people that ended up "gone" Do they any evil plan at play. Anyone have concerns about evil folks pushing AI? What do you think the end game is?

I just have this really bad feeling. Here is Gates in India talking about AI basically running the world.

Last edited:
As a tech enthusiast and programmer 10 years, my assumption is that its just a way to sell more pricey laptops with unnecessary AI bull turd. **Time to deep dive into pi-hole.**

Hopefully the place I work doesn't need AI anytime soon..
because if it does, there will be a lot of computers that will have to be replaced because of it..

Anyone notice Obama and Gates pushing AI very fast? Bill Gates did an interview 1-2 days ago pushing AI in healthcare and with the shadiness going on with those two and people than ended up "gone" Do they any evil at play. Anyone have concerns about evil folks pushing? What do you think the end game is?

I just have this really bad feeling. Here is Gates in India talking about AI basically running the world.

They are part of the Cabal.

It's funny how he is still allowed in India after his pharma companies caused the deaths of 40+ women back in the 2000's by prescribing wrong medicine/vaccines.

Anyone notice Obama and Gates pushing AI very fast? Bill Gates did an interview 1-2 days ago pushing AI in healthcare and with the shadiness going on with those two and people that ended up "gone" Do they an evil plan at play? Anyone have concerns about evil folks pushing AI? What do you think the end game is?

Sorry for my poor grammar, I had a long day.

Last edited:
More BS to get people to toss their old PCs onto landfill and spend on "new" kit to run apps that they supposedly can't live without.

I believe the part where future versions of Windows will consume more RAM and processing speed.

Back