RAM problems, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

i have a dell inspiron 1501 a budy of mine tweaked it up so it will have 4 gigs of ram cuz i think its max is 2 gigs but when i switch from 7 to xp its only saying i have 2 gigs of ram what could be the problem

Your buddy is probably nuts... It is extremely difficult to tweak the motherboard of a Dell Inspiron 1501. Pray that it still works normally...
Does it really tell you that you have 4 GB of RAM when you run Windows 7 ? Really?
With Windows XP, 2 GB, or 2,048MB is the normal maximum for that computer.
Tell us more detail about what was done and how you are operating.

yeah when i had windows 7 it said i had 4 gigs thats why i dont know what to do as for what was done i have no idea

I am not the most up-to-date guy on the block, but from the computers on which I have worked, what you describe is not possible... The motherboard detects the memory, but the operating sytem uses it. It is true that Windows 7 will use 4 GB or 8 GB, whereas Windows XP, depending on the motherboard, cannot use more than 3 GB, or on some motherboards, 3.5 GB... However, yours is clearly limited to 2 GB.
Perhaps somebody more technically advanced on memory tweaking can explain how the same computer detection could be as wide as you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back