Random BSOD on new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I'm trying to help a friend with a BSOD problem. I've looked at the minidump-file, but I'm not really sure what to look for...

There's no STOP in the file but there is the following warning:
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
81cf8740 00000000 81cf8748 81cf8748 81cf8750 nt+0x91048

Is there some information missing?

Before this started I helped him replace his noisy PSU and CPU fan and I really hope that I didn't cause the problem, but the timing isn't so encouraging. I'm thinking about switching back the PSU, but I thought I should ask here as a last resort.

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 5
I don't see anything in that .zip apart from a .txt document. Check the C:\Windows\Minidump for .dmp files and attach those instead :).

He... I thought the exported text file was the important one. Well, you learn something every day I guess :)

Here is the file I got. I see you write "files"... is one crash always producing several files?

Minidump 032708:

BugCheck 1000000A, {3a, 1b, 1, 81c91048}

Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe (nt!SwapContext+88)

If you've just replaced the CPU fan, you might want to make sure that the heatsink is totally seated.

Try testing your friend's RAM with Memtest86 for a minimum of 7 passes. Update all of the drivers for your PC. Check the Event Viewer to see if you can find anything relevant there.

If you have any other BSOD's, attach the .dmps accordingly :).

Thank you!

I just sent him a mail about this.

BTW, he just told me that it's usually random when the crashes occur, but if he kills Abit uGuru a crash is inevitable. I guess it points to the headsink/fan. Strange though since I would have believed that closing downa a program controlling the fans should make them run in full speed all the time.

Most motherboards today have some form of automatic fan RPM regulation. You just have to make sure everything is attached and enabled. Take a look in your friend's motherboard manual.

Thanks for the help!

Actually it seems to have been a combination of SpeedFan and uGuru that conflicted when trying to control his fans. I told him a few weeks ago to uninstall SpeedFan I as far as I know he hasn't had any problems with BSOD after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back