Random BSODs on newly build computer

rmelbye

Hi since I build my computer 6 month ago I have experienced BSODs different onces(0x0..050, 0x0...019 etc.) a couple of times a week, in the beginning they only came after restarts but after I have reinstalled win7 (64bit) it now also comes when I'm browsing or just writing in word.

my specs are:
iCore 5 3.2GHz 32nm
4gb 1333Hz ram
nvidia GTX 460 1gb
3 hard drives
Asus P7P55D-E PRO motherbord
older(5years) LITE on dvd burner

when it first came I ran a mem86+ test for 5 hours at least on both ram sticks alone without any faults, it usually never comes when I game, but mostly when the computer is doing nothing. also I have bought a new hard drive and installed win 7 on this and formatted the old one (but not removed it as I somehow couldnt get the computer to start without it?) I have attached my resent mini dumps

plz help I'm going nutz xS

sorry (I made them .rar ;) )

Attachments

• mini dumps.zip
    132.2 KB · Views: 5
i have attached my resent mini dumps

No you haven`t, follow this guide. Please zip the files into one zip file and then attach that.

Below the reply box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.

Click on the Browse button, find the minidump files you wish to attach on your PC and doubleclick on it. Normally found in C:\Windows\minidump (or browse to the zip file).

Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button.

Enter your message-text, then click on Submit Message.

There is nothing specific named in the crash dumps which are all different. This usually indicates a memory problem and one of the dumps does specify "Memory Corruption" as the cause.

I appreciate you have run Memtest but this can miss minor faults as it does not test the memory in the same way that windows uses it. Run the PC on one memory stick for several hours using memory intensive software, watching video, playing games, etc.

If you are overclocking set it back to default. Check that the correct voltage is set for the RAM.

You could also run Driver Verifier to eliminate a driver as a possible cause. Follow this guide.

For windows XP - Click on Start and then Run. Type verifier into the box and hit the Enter key.
For Vista and Windows 7 - Click on Start and type verifier into the search box then click on verifier in the list that pops up.

Driver Verifier Manager will open.

Select the first choice "Create Standard Settings" and click on the "Next" button.

Now select "Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer" and click on the "Finish" button.

A box will appear asking you to restart the PC for the changes to take effect. Click on "OK" and reboot the PC.

To stop Auto reboot so you can read the error message do this for Windows XP:
Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Failure, uncheck the "Automatically restart" check box.

And do this in Windows 7 and Vista:
Click Start, select 'Control Panel' select 'System' in the left pane select 'Advanced System Settings' in the box select the 'Advanced' tab then under 'Startup and Recovery' select 'Settings.' In the box under 'System Failure' uncheck 'Automatically Restart'.

If the PC reboots normally then there is no problem with any of the drivers. If you get a blue screen straight away it will name the faulty driver. If you are absolutely certain that the named driver is OK then make a note of it.

You will then have to go back into the Verifier and instead of selecting all drivers select "Select drivers from a list". Click on "Next" and the list of drivers will appear. Select them all apart from the one you know to be OK. Click on "Finish" and reboot.

Once you have identified the faulty driver or confirmed that there are none go back to the first page of the Driver Verifier Manager and select "Delete Existing Settings" and click on "Finish"

okay so i did the driver verifier and had a bsod just after restart, but it didnt name a driver, a now my computer is attempting to repair it self as it couldnt restart after i tried a couple of times doing it normally. would this indicate a driver fault ?
edit: i cant get it to restart at all now, have tried with the win7 cd and everything, not even in safe mode, it just restarts when attempting to start,.

OK, try this, remove the connections to the hard drive and then boot from the windows disc and see what happens. If it crashes again then you have a hardware fault. Romove all but one of your memory sticks and try to boot again, then swap them if it still crashes.

If it boots with one of the sticks then recconnect the hard drive and try to boot again.

Okay, so i have no problems loading the windows cd, it just cant repair my installation it just turns out an error and asks if i would like to send the information to Microsoft, i think something has corrupted my windows installation, i have tried boot with no hard drives, one ram stick at the time and it still just BSODs when it tries to show the "starting windows" logo.

(stop: 0x0000001E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002EE3416, 0x00000000000000000 0x00000000000000000)

I think that a format and a clean install is needed, as i think my motherboard would have complained if it was a more severe hardware malfunction, it has LEDs indicating when hardware doesn't work.

any thoughts about this?

OK, without the CD in the drive and both hard drives disconnected from the motherboard, try to boot and tell me what happens, make a note of what message you get on screen and put it in your next post. (leave just one memory stick in place, if it BSOD's try another stick).

Then try to boot from each hard drive in turn (with the other disconnected from the motherboard) and post back the error message you get.

I'm looking back at your first post and wondering why you could not get it to boot without the old drive connected so please do the above to give me a better idea of what is going on.

Also, when you have booted with the win7 CD (with the hard drives both connected) and then selected "Repair your Computer" on the next screen you will have selected Use Recovery Tools and clicked on Next, after that does it show the installed OS in the list of operating systems?

Okay,

So i actually have 3 hard drives:
2TB seagate 6gbs (new one) with newest installation of windows 3-4 weeks ago
divided into a 100gb windows partition and the rest for files

1.5TB samsung just 3gbs - this had the old installation of windows, and i first formatted this a couple of days after the installation of windows on the 2TB meaning that i actually had 2 windows installed at the same time but on different hard drives.

300mb samsung 3gbs - random files

Testing;:
with both ram and the 2TB:
massages before the windows loading screen:
"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

with ram(a) and the 2TB
Same messages as above^^

with ram(b) and the 2TB
same again

win both ram and only the 1.5TB
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings and the click "next"
3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufactor for assistance

info: The boot selection failed becuase a required device is inaccessible

(ENTER = continue) (ESC=Exit)

this i find quite interesting??

with ram(a)
same as above

with ram(b)
same again

with the 300gb only:
massages before the windows loading screen:
"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

with ram(a)
same as above

with ram(b)
same again

and when i insert the windows cd with only the 2TB and both ram i cant see the operating system on it, but if i choose the "find driver" (i think its called) i can see the partition with the windows and i can copy files and paste etc.

and the reason why i bought a new hard drive was because i thought it was the 1.5tb that caused the BSODs.

a little more info to work with ;)

Phew, I just put together a guide, took some doing but something I have meant to do for a while for this kind of situation.

I think what has happened is, with two identical installations installed that the boot sectors have been messed up. This guide will correct and repair the MBR on any one of the disks with windows installed on it. I suggest you perform this on the new one and do it without the other drives connected. It should get it going again.

After that tell me what you want to do with the old drive that still has an OS on it. Do not reconnect it without further instruction or you will probably have to go back and do this all again.

1.Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
2.Press any key if you are prompted to boot from the DVD.
3.Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4.At the next screen click on Repair your computer (do not click on Install now).
5.Next screen select Use Recovery Tools at the top of the box. (Ignore the message about the operating system not being listed. If it is listed select it). Click on Next.
6.In the System Recovery Options box, click Command Prompt and a box will open.
----------------------------------------------

Then follow this to get the disk set to active. Each command you type at the diskpart prompt will receive confirmation.

7. At the prompt type diskpart Hit Enter and wait for DISKPART > to appear.

8. Then type list disk Hit Enter (It will show a list of the disks, 0 through to how many disks are installed).

9. Now type select disk # (the '#' represents the number of the disk e.g. you would type select disk 3 to edit disk number 3) Hit Enter

10. Now type list partition Hit Enter

11. Select which partition to use by typing select partition # (you need to select the partition that the operating system you are trying to repair is installed on, again replace the # with the appropriate number).

12. Now type active Hit Enter (typing inactive will reverse the setting)

13. Now type exit Hit Enter then type exit again to close the command prompt.

Then remove the windows disc and click on Restart at the bottom of the System Recovery Options box.

If it still fails to boot you will have to go back and repeat instructions 1 through to 6 and click on Startup Repair under System Recovery Options and let it run.

If that also fails to get it booting you will have to go back again through the instructions 1 to 6 and select the Command Prompt. Then follow this next stage, type each command as follows, hitting Enter after each line.

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Type exit to close the box and click on Restart.

That should do the trick! However if you still can't start Windows, then follow step 1 to 6 again and type this command.

Bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
Type exit to close the box and click on Restart.

Make sure you type all the command lines exactly as written including any spaces between characters, all can be typed in lower case.

Hi okay, thanks for taking the time at first :) i didnt have time to do i yesterday, so i have done i now.

So first i removed all disk but the 2TB with new windows installation on.

So i did the steps 1-13 and after restart it said that the Mbr was missing, so i continued the guide and this time it shows the operating system when i boot the windows cd so i tried to get windows to repair but without luck.

now i followed the next steps that should repair the mbr, and after that i rebooted and i tried to start windows but BSOD'ed when it reached the screen "starting windows"

So i went back and tried the last step but the same thing couldt start,.

but when i did the command

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
it tells me:

Please wait, since this may take a while....

Successfully scanned windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully

should't it say 1?

Okay so this I strange, I tried booting in safe mode and it booted all the way to the login screen and I typed pw and it said loading and then it restarted, but if I dont do it in safe mode it still BSODS when it tries to load windows.

Edit I have thrown in a boot log, which I could drag out when pressing the "load drivers" button when booted from the windows cd
but I dont know if its of any use,.

Attachments

• ntbtlog.txt.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried the final command: Bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force If not give it a go but it sounds as if the MBR is repaired or it would not boot at all.

I think if this fails you should do a clean install on that disk as there must be some kind of corruption to be causing the BSOD at startup. As microsoft in their wisdom have made it impossible to run a Repair Install unless you can boot to the dektop (why else would you need it, lol) there isn't much else you can do.

should't it say 1?

I have not had to complete that part of the process myself but your OS installation is identified as 0, if you had a dual boot the second OS would be 1.

so i tried to get windows to repair but without luck.

At this point did it give an error message saying it could not repair? or did it just finish and fail to reboot? You could try the Startup Repair option again, (leaving the windows cd in) and keep repeating it, sometimes it needs as many as three attempts before it completes, just follow the prompts. (I need to add that to the guide)

Hi, yes, did that, actually i did it all a couple of times just to be sure. but nothing seems to work, yeah im doing a clean install now, seems the best, should i do it with only the 2TB connected? or with all 3 hard drives connected?

The windows repair said it had finish attemting to repair the system and i should restart, and if it didnt work contact manufactor or administrator,

So clean install coming up, luckily i have started using gmail and firefox synch, hated taking backup of that i the older days., after the clean install should i then try the driver verifier or is that a no go ? ;) last time i did the clean install i took a week before BSODs showed up,. :S

Probably best to do the install with just the one disc installed. Then add the others once it's all working again. With only windows installed there will be no point in running driver verifier again.

After the clean install you should install your motherboard chipset drivers followed by drivers for any other hardware, then check in the Device Manager to be sure no devices are showing any yellow warnings.

Once it's all up and running make sure you have Windows Update turned on and let it get up to date.

Then start putting back your software and give it a good run after each one is installed.

--------------------------------------------

should't it say 1?
I have not had to complete that part of the process myself but your OS installation is identified as 0, if you had a dual boot the second OS would be 1.

I just had to run this part of the process on an old laptop that failed to boot and got exactly the same message it then rebooted successfully. I followed my own instructions and it worked like a charm. I only had to use the three Bootrec.exe commands.

okay super i'm on the clean install now,. and againg thanks for the guide and help,

Okay nice that i works, something major must have been messed up when i tried to run the driver verifier, but as i normally save all my important files on another harddrive og partition than c: , a clean install is no big deal it only takes time :D

i will reply when i am finished to let you and others know if it works xD

Hi so I did a clean install and installed drivers in the order you suggested and put my computer to update while I went to do some different things. When I came back it had recovered from a BSOD, and this is with only the drivers and some updates installed,. I have included the minidump I start suspecting my ram to be faulty or maybe its a driver issue (all drivers where downloaded from Asus own page excluding the nvidia driver)

cheers :)

Attachments

• 051611-67891-01.zip
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
The dump file is error 3B which points at: System service, Device driver, graphics driver, or memory. The named drivers were all windows drivers so there should not be a problem with them on a clean install.

Looking back through the dumps again (using new debugging software) it does highlite a graphics driver. May be this might suggest a fault on the card. Have you got onboard graphics you can test with and remove the card. Otherwise uninstall the graphics driver and then reboot and let windows install a driver and see if that improves anything.

I am also wondering at this point, considering the tests run in this thread, if you have a fault on the hard drive, I appreciate it is fairly new but new parts can have errors. Just to eliminate it download the diagnostics CD for dos from the manufacturers site and give it a full test.

Also try running the PC on one memory stick at a time for a good few hours and use different slots.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

Hi again, so after first clean install where the bsod came i couldt download win updates, and i suspected it to be because i installed all the asus and the nvidia drivers before letting the computer update, i then did a clean install again and this time i didnt install asus and nvidia drivers and i had no probs with windows updating to sp1 and all. wiered,.

Through the night i ran the seagate seatools "long" and "short" harddrive test and both passed without any error codes. so no harddrive probs for the moment :)

i'm now running on pure drivers from windows update including the nvidia driver, and i will do so for a couple of days just to see if this is better,

Do you have any stress test that i should run that could force a bsod if faults with drivers or ram? or should i just use the computer as normal a couple of days to see?

i have to run Inventor on, to do some school work, so this will stress it, but i havent experienced any bsod related with that before.

cheers =)

okay will do the prime95 then, but dont now if i dare to do the driver verifier, or should that be okay now ? lol

Well, if the verifier does kick off again I will be completely confused, I'll leave it up to you but it may be worth the risk. As you have very few drivers installed it should be ok. On the other hand, you could leave it and see if you get any more BSOD's before using it again.

Hi im back again after a while, so at first I didnt get any bsods and then I got one saying 3b (I have included mini dump files) and then I ran the driver verifier to chek and I bsod'ed on start up and I had to recover windows to get it to start again, after this I have only had 2 bsods but it comes when I'm starting the computer, not when I'm using it.

thanks

Attachments

• mini dumps.zip
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
OK, the plot thickens.

These latest BSOD's point to a selection of possible causes most of which have been ruled out. System Services have not been tested but that is extremely unlikely on a clean install. Your graphics driver was hinted at but I would imagine you have the latest already. This leaves only a few other possibilities, your Bios needs to be updated, there is a fault on the motherboard or memtest missed a fault in your RAM.

Try removing one of the RAM sticks and boot a few times to see if the BSOD repeats then do the same with the other stick/s.

Check on the site of the motherboard manufacturer to see if there is an update for the Bios avaailable. Your present version will be on the Bios screen.

Have you run Prime95, if not give it a go. These are the most recent instructions I have found.

Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could also run this to test the graphics card. Be carefull with the temperatures.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/f...AGE your video card!!! - Click "Quit" to exit

Back