Random freezes + BSOD error 0x0000009c

Cybermega

Well as the title says My computer has been getting random freezes and random BSOD and also restarts these past few weeks ( it's actually more than a month but let's leave it at that)

Here's the specs of my computer along with other stuff

CPU = Dual-Core CPU E6500 @2.93GHz
RAM = 2.99 GB ( 2 RAM - 1GB and a 2GB)
GPU = Integrated one {Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family}
MotherBoard = P5GC-MX/1333 ( Bios updated with the lastest version)
PSU = ATX-500 500W Switching Mode power supply

I will attach the a couple of BSOD dumps I got since some of the are different.

I also forgot to mention that these freezes happen during bios and on windows

If you need more information just ask.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with this error code give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

Before reading your minidumps and in light of the symptoms your mentioned I suggest running mememtest on your RAM for 7 ormore PASSES.

Have you ever run memtest before?

ANY hardware..? why me T_T anyway I did try memtest before but sometimes I would be lucky if it even reaches 1 Pass since the freeze+restart problem so unless I can somehow stop my computer from freezing doing a memtest and do 7 passes is gonna be hard ..

I hardly think the RAM is the cause since i tried it both Sticks alone ( memtest with only 1 GB and then 2 GB) but on both times It still froze.

Some of the minidumps are not 9C maybe 1-3 of them are different, I put them there just in case they might be part of the cause.

I will try to do a memtest in a few minutes maybe my computer won't freeze ( since sometimes It works fine for hours) if you need more information just ask. I will try to answer from another computer if possible also I will post as well if memtest fails at least twice

Also I don't know if this is relevant but I remember that the freezes started happening a few days after installing my new DVD drive but i tried my pc while it was unplugged but it still froze

Sorry for double post

I tried to do memtest for 6 times ( to make sure ) and on all it froze BUT on the first one it said it encountered an Error ( after 27 minutes). the others sudden restarted after doing the memtest for 30 secs - 3 minutes.

So it's both the RAM or either of them ( since it freezes with each one of them)

@ Cybermega - Not sure what exactly you are asking. Memtest is telling you that you have a memory problem.

A reminder... There may be other possibilities than just the memory sticks themselves being bad...

If your bios timings are not set properly, Memtest will likely show errors...
...reset bios/cmos configuration to factory specs for your memory.
Dirty contacts between sticks and the socket can cause problems.
Bad capacitors on the main board can cause problems.
Mismatched memory can cause problems (especially with ddr2, ddr3).
... (For you, this is not the issue, as you have tested individual memory sticks)
Memory that is not on the HCL for the motherboard can cause you problems.
If all of these check OKAY, then it IS time to replace ram.

Memory is not a major expense today.
If you cannot check for bad caps (look for bulging), it wouldn't hurt to simply swap and see what happens.

Well let's start with what i meant with my earlier post.

Since i don't have any idea how memtest acts when it finds an error i was wondering IF it stops and freezes when it finds an error or just tries again since when it happened I HAD to shut down my pc Manually ( keeping the power on button pressed)

'If your bios timings are not set properly, Memtest will likely show errors...
...reset bios/cmos configuration to factory specs for your memory.'

Timings? If you mean Default settings then the bios SHOULD be in it's default settings unless it was changed by something.

'Dirty contacts between sticks and the socket can cause problems.'

need to check about that but if i find dirt ... how do i clean it? since it's seems too easy to damage motherboard or memory sticks

'Bad capacitors on the main board can cause problems.'

Checked it a couple of times and i didn't find any bad capacitors ( saw a picture as an example and all of them looked fine)

'Memory that is not on the HCL for the motherboard can cause you problems.'

HCL? What do you mean? My memory sticks were there for more than a year now so if they were not compatible then the problem would have happened much earlier

I hope my answers weren't confusing or something :/

1. How memtest will act when it finds an error is dependent upon your circumstances.
2. Timings should not be an issue if your system settings have not been changed (overclocking, etc) since the last time it was working properly.
3. Dirty Contacts... best bet is to use a pink pearl eraser (gently) on the contacts of the memory stick, and compressed air at the sockets. Be careful not to mishandle the air canister so as to allow liquid propellant to be sprayed into the computer case.
4. HCL=Hardware Compatibility List... should not be an issue since you have a history of them working.

So we are back to the original answers.
Everything is pointing at replacement of your memory sticks.

Ok since that's how it looks like. Tomorrow I will see if i can replace my current memory sticks.

P.S I want to point out something that MIGHT be also relevant that- a few months ago ( a month BEFORE the freezes started happening I upgraded my computer ( CPU, PSU and HDD ... maybe more like a replacement for the last one).

I'm sorry If this was something important but since like i said no one asked i didn't bother until now

I replaced the memory sticks with a new one and It still froze after a few hours so they are not the problem.

Anything else?

Given your new information on your replacement parts
  • Have you run Everest to monitor your temps. If your cpu has overheated, it may have failed.
  • Improper handling could have damaged either cpu or mobo (excessive force, static discharge, improper installation of cooling, etc)
  • What is the make / model information on your psu?
  • It is not as likely that a failed hdd would present your problems, but... make sure that all connections a properly seated. If they are, try disconnecting the drive cable AT THE MOBO and see memtest runs successfully. (It would be odd, but worth checking at this point)

Given the results with a new memory stick... Is your new memory on the HCL for your mobo?
1. Different Memory may require going into Bios / CMOS Configuration in order to properly configure your memory settings. Make sure they are set to mfg specs!
2. Run Memtest on the new RAM.
3. Run it again, seated in a different slot.

If you have a bad ram, I believe the point at which memtest fails should be the same regardless of slot.
If you have a bad mobo, then the point at which memtest fails will likely change each for each slot.
If you have a bad mobo, then the point at which memtest fails COULD Possibly change each time it is run in the same slot.
If memtest fails at exactly the same point, regardless of the stick being tested, this too would be a pointer toward your mobo.

Again..
Route44 said:
this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with this error code give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any.

Do you have any additional dumps?

1) Yes I did. the CPU temperature is .. low as far as i see

2) wouldn't that mean that the motherboard WOULDN'T even start up? that's how i see it

3) stated in the first post 'PSU = ATX-500 500W Switching Mode power supply' that's what it's written on it's left side

4) what is a drive cable? I did try memtest by only having my DVD/R plugged but still froze

5) same type as my other memory so they are compatible

6) Tried to set it again as default settings on Bios just incase

7) I will do that later Can't do any testing ATM

Edit forgot about the dumps

No i don't have any additional dumps since so far since my first post I didn't get a BSOD but as I said before along with the dumps I posted before they had different types ( NOT 0x9C) so you could check them out if they are relevant

1. if you say so
2. no
3. Sorry... but I was looking for a BRAND! Not only a model number. No brand/"No-name" = not trusted!
4. :confused: - Please explain how you can have this question and then make this statement?
5. Should I assume that you are not just assuming here?
[lecture]Hint... assumptions always give problems. Don't just assume. Check, Verify, and double-check. In carpentry it is "check twice, cut once!"
In otherwords... if you don't check you will be doing it over, costing yourself time and money... blah blah blah... [/lecture]

6. Default BIOS settings may not be adequate. see 5.
7. :confused: - will try what later?

:( I think we are experiencing a failure to communicate.
I will see if Route44 would like to resume working with you.

1) Oh sorry I forgot to post the image i took when i checked the CPU

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa42/beastZero/CPU.png

2) i see

3) Well i can give you the link of the PSU ( where i bought it since i went there)
I don't know if it helps

4) If the drive cable is one of the cables that connects the HDD and mobo and please forget my question but if not then tell me what it is and ignore what i said

5) My memory modules were DDR2 as when I got my motherboard it came with a memory stick ( 1 GB ram) and when i got the second one I took it so it would be the same type. When i got the one I have I specified for it to be the same one since both other 2 worked for a year. I have to say that the speed between both of them were different but if THAT was a problem it would have happened far more earlier. If this is not enough then I guess i can't do nothing about it since I have no other idea on what differences are there between each RAM except what type they are and their speed

6) Don't want to mess with it. I don't want to increase the damage by using the wrong settings.

7) memtest what else? Can't do it though In the last 20 minutes I tried to do this post my pc froze 15+ times NONstop ... it's so annoying

I'm sorry if we are failing to communicate. I reply the way I understand it which most of the time is pretty much random and also I'm kinda on speed writing to at least write everything before my pc decides to freeze

Did another Memtest Run but after 3 minutes It stopped saying it encountered an error and showed various numbers below the test and it froze. I guess the problem is the Ram slots on my motherboard or rather the whole motherboard ..?

Sorry, but I've been out of the loop. Did you check your RAM voltage and timings as specified by the manufacture and compare them to what the BIOS reports? Do they match?

Is your memory configuration as given in the motherboard manual?

How do I check the RAM voltage and timings , the bios reports AND the configuration? SO that i would check

Edit:
ALSO when i get the freezes RARELY i get an overclocking/overvoltage error

Just a few minutes ago I suddenly got a BSOD and it was a 0x0000000A ( I guess 0x0A for short ?) this is the first time I got this error so here's the minidump

Attachments

• Mini110510-02.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 1
Well since no one replied ... or maybe they are too busy to check I'm gonna update with my findings on any problems that occur along with any new questions.

@route44

I searched where I would find the Voltage of the memory (RAM) and it seems it's called Vcore? Is that right? If yes here are the values that is shown in the bios AND on the manual.

IF it's not Ignore the values below

Bios = 1.1288V
Manual = 1.8V

Is that how it should be? ( I think not ...)

If it's not then can you please tell me what is it? So that I can check and clearly compare the values?

Also My motherboard has various things installed on it ( Onboard) which are NIC card , graphic Card (VGA) and Soundcard. I thought I let you know just in case.

Also About my 2 other memory sticks. As i replaced them a few days ago I also asked that they would do a memtest themselves just in case and just yesterday they called me and as far as i saw no errors happened so I guess IF the voltage is all correct then it's not the memory. I will see maybe in a couple of days since I'm still searching for stuff.

If you for any reason have any trouble trying to understand what I'm trying to say then please tell me so I could try and explain clearly as Bookwyrm encountered that problem when we talked if you checked the earlier posts.

ALSO 1 last thing. In these last 2 days ( yesterday AND today) I encountered 2 new BSOD errors. 1 is attached in my earlier Post AND a new one but I might try to attach later if I can as my pc freezes very often with anything but if the code was something like 0x0000007F

Back