Random Re boot problem in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

newners

Problem.
My computer randomly re starts, mostly when browsing on the internet. When the PC restarts it starts normally with no messages or warnings while going back into windows. The PC is a new build as follows:

Sempron 2300+
400W PSU
PC Chips mobo M851 ver 1.3a
512Mb DDR 400
On board graphics
SCSI card
CDRW
DVD
Floppy
Win XP Pro

After the PC was built I ran memtest and CPU stability test for 6 hours with no probs. All temps and voltages seem to be ok and no crashes or restarts. The only thing that has changed since running these tests is that the SCSI card now has an HP 4P scanner and a Zip drive attached and via a USB hub there is an HP 6p laser jet and a canon i9000 A3 printer. Also the PC is now attached to a different ADSL router (netgear) than the test set up (belkin).

Could these additional devices, which are rarely used and never at the same time, be demanding too much power causing the re starts or is this more likely to be a software issue? I have heard that the HP 4P scanner struggles to work with XP however I loaded all the software and it works fine on this PC.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Is that USB-hub a powered version, or is it draining from the PC?
Disconnect the hub, and see if that could be the problem. A powered hub might be needed.

Or try a parallel-cable with first only one printer, then the other.
You could get an electronic automatic parallel switch-box, if those printers still have a parallel port. I used one, before I put my printers on the home-network via a printserver.

Hi thanks for the reply.

Is that USB-hub a powered version, or is it draining from the PC?

It's a powered hub. The canon printer is USB direct to mobo and the laser jet via parallel. The strange thing is that the system exactly the same above was working fine with Win ME. But since doing a clean install of XP Pro this problem has occurred. The installation of XP pro wasn't seamless either. On the first couple of attempts various files couldn't be copied by win xp setup. After running memtest loads of fail tests occurred so I changed the RAM stick and upgraded to 512Mb. Still had stability issues after loading so I removed the old 32mb nvidia graphics card and am now running 64 Mb on board graphics. Re ran memtest and CPU stability test ( whole system test ) with no probs.

If it is a power issue, does win XP really use much power than win ME?

Or is this just a bad Mobo?

Will try all your ideas and get back to you.

I set this machine up with XP Pro for a neighbour and I'm pretty sure I used all the latest drivers. However, I have not checked the BIOS for an update. I will look into all this over the W/E and get back with the results.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back