Re-installed XP but can't network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, need some help with this one please.

I have used my recovery disk to re-install windows as my PC was running so slowly but now I can't network it or connect to the internet.

I use a BT Home Hub and a Phillips peg thing. When I plug the peg in windows asks me to install the software for it, so I have. It also automatically installs it's own wireless config screen, but it won't pick up any networks. The light flashes on the peg, so I know it is working.

I have also tried using the original Phillips hub that came with the peg but still no joy. I have also tried hard wiring to both hubs but Explorer tells me it can't find the search page.

I know the equipment is fine so I am thinking it might be because I have gone back to SP1, but I can't get online to get any updates.

Any suggestions??

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers and other drivers after installing Windows?

Check the Device Manager to see if the drivers need to be installed.
Press > Win logo key + r > type devmgmt.msc when the device manager opens check to see if there are any yellow exclamation next to the device in question.

Your service pack theory may also be true. try downloading the driver for your device from the manufacturers website (from another computer of course). Another thing you could try is installing sp2 you can find it here;http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en. I am assuming that you have access to another computer with internet connection.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I have downloaded SP2 onto my laptop and transfered it onto my desktop via memory stick. It has successfully installed and as soon as I restarted it automatically connected to the internet. Yay!

I have also had a look in Device Manager and there are 2 things with yellow exclamation marks ....Ethernet Controller and Multimedia Audio Controller. Do I need to do anything with them?

Thanks for your help :)

The yellow exclamation marks mean those devices have a driver problem, usually a lack of them. The ethernet controller is one of the ways you can connect to the internet and the multimedia audio controller is your onboard sound. You should go the the computer's manufacturer's website to download the most recent version of these drivers. If the computer is self-built or custom built, you should go to the motherboard manufacturer's website for the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back