Real VNC Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamut0o1

Hello I was wondering if someone else has has this problem with Real VNC. For some reason when I try to VNC into a machine with the machine name ex:
pc-oregon
I get a connection error; but if I use the ip of the machine I connect right away.
is there a setting that I need to configure on VNC or in my PC's in order for this to work. Please let me know.

thanks!

this is very typical. The problem is public vs private naming.

Your pc (and mine) are attached via some ISP and our ip-addresses (at the modem)
are owned and named by the ISP itself. Beyond our mode (and maybe a router) is our LAN
and we name OUR systems anything we wish. However, our LAN addresses
are private and duplicated on thousands of routers around the world.

VNC needs an public ip-address of the target system, or a public domain-name that is associated
with a public ip. For you and I, this would be the public ip-address of our modem. To get beyond
the router and into one of our LAN systems, the VNC port
needs to be forwarded to a specific LAN address of the target system.

If you can use the IP address and not the system name, then you do not have the port forward issue noted above.

There are two solutions:
  1. register with DynDNS.org
  2. live with the ip-address

Real VNC Issue

thank you for the response; I'm just trying to vnc within the network (LAN). I don't understand why this can not work. By the way it works with some PC's but not all of them.

any other ideas?
thanks !

i'll make it simple:
if run->cmd /k nslookup systemname fails, then so will VNC​
if nslookup will return an IP addres, as in nslookup google.com, then vnc will be able to access that system name

btw: the firewall must allow port 5900 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back