Really low signal for wireless??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Hey all, i tried to search this board but couldnt find an answer. I have an older Linksys wireless-B router (BEFW11S4). My wireless laptop which is 2 floors above the wireless router, has a really low signal and it makes it hard to use the internet. I remember there was a signal booster that linksys made a few years ago, but I cannot find it anymore. If I upgraded to a more current router, would my signal strength improve? Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks!

If you buy a new router, with a wide range, it will help.
You are 2 floors above the router, and plus the router is old. This is why you are having connection problems. I'd would say buying a new router is your best option.

The signal booster made very little difference... I kid you not!

I tried to hack together a Linksys box and signal booster a couple of times for customers hoping for good results. I was always left disappointed... And so were the customers. I vowed never again.

I found the best solutions in those cases were using repeaters and/or hi-gain antennas.

Wireless routers and usb / laptop adapters have arials of 2.4dB which limits length / strength of signal.

You can try replacing these arials with 5dB screw on arials available at ebuyer.com but to gain from this you must have a 5dB in the router AND in the receiving computer otherwise you will recieve no gains in strength. Hope this helps

Wireless routers and usb / laptop adapters have arials of 2.4dB which limits length / strength of signal.

You can try replacing these arials with 5dB screw on arials available at ebuyer.com but to gain from this you must have a 5dB in the router AND in the receiving computer otherwise you will recieve no gains in strength.

You could also try a longer extension cable from the wireless card in you PC to position the receiving arial better.

In all honesty I by the time you've bought the arials I would just go and buy a new router with MIMO technology

Chris
www.pcpoorly.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back