Realtek AC97 driver woes. please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everybody, new here. I recently downloaded and installed the Realtek Ac97 v. A3.94 sound drivers onto my XP running laptop, and i am experiencing pretty bad popping and distortion in some types of audio. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Try reverting back to the old driver and see if the sound returns to normal. Make sure next time, to get a driver update for your laptop from you laptops website only

Tmagic650 said:
Try reverting back to the old driver and see if the sound returns to normal. Make sure next time, to get a driver update for your laptop from you laptops website only
I have done this for the time being, but without the update, i am experiencing sound problems with some applications. The updated drivers solved these problems, but resulted in the aforeentioned new ones. unfortunately toshiba does not seem to offer direct driver downloads.

What is the model number of your Toshiba laptop? Drivers for laptops are a bit different than the ones for desktop models. In laptops, we can't easily "see" the sound chip on the motherboard. It is sometimes necessary to get these numbers to ensure the proper driver is applied...

the model is a Toshiba Satellite P30- RV2. it may be that i have been installing the drivers wrong. i am a bit a of a newbie when it comes to this stuff. i have just been downloading the executable file from realtek's website and installing it as i would any other program. do i need to do anything else? (like uninstall old drivers manually?). the instructions on realtek's website are crap. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back