Recent problems downloading file share sites using TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie23

Using latest stable Vadilia / TOR / Privoxy bundle for Windows (on Vista x64), with Tor Button for Firefox.

When trying to d/l ANY type file from many file sharing sites, incl Rapidshare, always get message:

Your IP address xx.xx.xxx.xxx is already downloading a file. Please wait until the download is completed
I'm not downloading a file from the stated address, & often haven't downloaded anything from that site - in days, or EVER (someone else may be).

Even if I get a NEW IP address (by various means), clear Firefox & the page & try again, get same message.

Any ideas what's going on & how to get around it?

Thanks.

Have you got Tor set to allow other Tor users to use your internet connection as a node in the Tor network?

mrturtle,

Don't think so. I believe you're referring to setting up your (my) computer as a server on the TOR network? If so, that requires going through specific steps to "setup relaying?"

Under my Tor Settings > Sharing, it is checked to "run as client only."

I never had it set up at any time (AFAIK) to act as a relay (server).

Hmmm, does anyone else have access to your router/internet connection.

I'm assuming that you have it set up securely and that no one else is piggybacking off your connection?

No, there's no way anyone gained access to my router (TIKO) - Linksys WRT54GL.

My desktop that use TOR on is wired. Have a wireless network (one laptop), but it was setup w/ WPA2 - AES security, and using a 25 random character network PW.

Neither PC has been infected w/ anything - AFAIK & never had any problems.

I'm thinking it's more of the filesharing sites - rapidshare, etc. - not playing nice w/ proxies in general or TOR / onion network specifically.

This is just a quick link I grabbed to d/l from rapidshare to show what was happening & the message. I blanked the IP address, though I assure you it's one from Onion network, not real ISP (dynamic) address.
Error
You want to download the following file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/10041072/RaidenII.zip | 11963 KB

Your IP address 192.xxx.xxx.206 is already downloading a file. Please wait until the download is completed.

NOTE: Rapidshare also has this message at bottom of error page:

Notice
Our system checks your IP-address in order to count the downloads. If you are getting an error message that you are already downloading while no downloads where made, then your IP is being created by a proxy-server. Proxy servers are placed by ISP's or network administrators to save IP addresses. This can lead to multiple downloads from one IP.
Are they saying if you use a proxy, you probably won't be able to d/l from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back