Reclaim D partition?

Hello,

I have a 320Go Hard Drive & 2 partitions: C: system et D: Boot, with XP SP3 Home.
is it possible to modify D in order to reclaim C for just data ?

Cheers

What do you mean specifically "reclaim" C for data, you can still store data on it even if it is seperate from your boot drive.

Message me if you still need help

Right click on computer and choose manage, choose disk mangement and delete the partition you dont need.

Expand your boot partition to the empty space.

FWIW I agree with alexe3831 as far as being able to store data on C drive. However, unless you have or plan to have a dual boot system and/or create a recovery partition, partitioning a hard drive, when you only have one drive, really has no advantage. There are circumstances in which creating a partition specifically for pagefile can show performance improvements but, that really only applies if you have two physically separate drives. Even then there is not a lot of gained performance.

But, if you insist on "reclaiming" the partition, which I perceive meaning to delete it and expand D, fimbles instructions should work just fine.

partitioning a hard drive, when you only have one drive, really has no advantage..

Not true, since if you partition a drive and install OS only on one partition and personal data on the other in case of OS failure you can do a re-install of system and be up and running in no time without the worry of data backup. I always set my computers and might be a zealot but on my main machine, I'm running seven hard drives - all that have a minimum of two partitions.

That's extreme but the question is what is more valuable, your personal data or OS? OS failure or problems will always happen, so just an opinion.

Not true, since if you partition a drive and install OS only on one partition and personal data on the other in case of OS failure you can do a re-install of system and be up and running in no time without the worry of data backup.

Actually, my statement was geared more toward performance. But, even on different level there is no advantage to having a partition for your OS and another for your personal data. Anyone who waits until their OS fails to backup their data is asking to loose it. In addition, having your OS and backup on the same physical drive is foolish anyway even if it is on a separate partition. Having a separate partition will be of no help if the drive fails. But, then again, a corrupt operating system is something I never have to worry about. But, I do understand that noobies do have those concerns.

Back