Reddit bans r/The_Donald as Twitch suspends Trump's account

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: President Trump has always had a love-hate relationship with social media, but recent times have seen him lean more toward the latter emotion. Things are about to get even more rocky, now that his official Twitch account has been suspended and the Reddit community r/The_Donald has been banned.

Trump has never been one to hide his dislike for Jeff Bezos, but that didn’t stop the president’s team from joining Amazon-owned Twitch back in November. Following the account’s broadcast of Trump’s recent Tulsa campaign rally, Twitch has decided to suspend the channel.

It seems Twitch took issue with the section of Trump’s speech that mentions “many, many, many” cases of “a very tough hombre” breaking into the home of a young woman at night. The streaming site also cited the recent rebroadcast of his 2016 campaign event, in which he said the infamous words: “They’re [Mexico] sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

Twitch never said how long the suspension of Trump’s account will last. “Like anyone else, politicians on Twitch must adhere to our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines. We do not make exceptions for political or newsworthy content, and will take action on content reported to us that violates our rules,” the platform told TechCrunch.

In addition to the Twitch suspension, one of the internet’s most vocal Trump support groups, r/The_Donald, is one of around 2,000 communities banned after Reddit updated its policies on hate speech.

The subreddit, which has been no stranger to controversy over the years, boasted over 790,000 members. It had no official connection to Trump, though he did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) while a presidential candidate back in 2016.

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman writes: “All communities on Reddit must abide by our content policy in good faith. We banned r/The_Donald because it has not done so, despite every opportunity. The community has consistently hosted and upvoted more rule-breaking content than average (Rule 1), antagonized us and other communities (Rules 2 and 8), and its mods have refused to meet our most basic expectations. Until now, we’ve worked in good faith to help them preserve the community as a space for its users—through warnings, mod changes, quarantining, and more.”

Another large community banned under the updated rules is r/ChapoTrapHouse, a spinoff of the leftist podcast. The vast majority of the 2,000 subreddits were inactive.

Trump retaliated after Twitter flagged his tweets recently, so it’ll be interesting to see if the president speaks out against the bans.

Social media giants have been feeling the heat as companies suspend advertising as a protest against the platforms' inaction against hate speech. The ad boycott against Facebook, which said it doesn’t want to be an “arbiter of truth,” has seen its share price fall, wiping $7 billion off CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s wealth.

Permalink to story.

There are a lot of other subreddits that promote actual hate and violence that lean toward the left and they don't get banned. I've followed the_Donald for years and it never promoted hate and violence. You have the occasional comments but those where reported and banned. Just another platform suppressing viewpoints that isn't like their own.

How can I rally my constituents when the social medias have turned on me and are rejecting my hate speech, allusions to violence, threatening, bullying and other cybertrolling efforts?

This is ultimately the reason why no public official in the office of the presidency is supposed to be using social media to send out government edicts.

Imagine for a moment that Donald Trump decided that he wanted to use TECHSPOT as his posting ground.

Imagine that the majority of the tweets that he has sent out: bullying, racist and threatening were put on Tech Spot. He would be putting the administration of the website under extreme pressure because he’d be violating their terms of service and forcing them to have to choose whether or not to suspend, delete his tweets or to ban his account.

Now imagine that he sent some of his Secret Service goons to the techpot offices to unban his account. Or a Imagine he uses the power of government to threaten techspot to either unblock his account or themselves have laws passed directly against the administration of the website.

That would be a violation of Techspot’s constitutional rights to run their business.

If tech spot would not allow this then why should any other social media service? Why should Twitter? Why should YouTube? Why should Facebook?

At the end of the day the person who is in the wrong here is Trump and I’m glad that the social media services have finally decided to stand up to him and tell him what to go do with himself.

If anybody deserves to end up a one-term president it’s him.

Last edited:
There are a lot of other subreddits that promote actual hate and violence that lean toward the left and they don't get banned. I've followed the_Donald for years and it never promoted hate and violence. You have the occasional comments but those where reported and banned. Just another platform suppressing viewpoints that isn't like their own.

Techspot reserves the right to censor comments arbitrarily just as much as they have the right to decide what their stance on the President's racist, bullying and constant abuses of social media are.

How can I rally my constituents when the social medias have turned on me and are rejecting my hate speech, allusions to violence, threatening, bullying and other cybertrolling efforts?

This is ultimately the reason why no public official in the office of the presidency is supposed to be using social media to send out government edicts.

Imagine for a moment that Donald Trump decided that he wanted to use TECHSPOT as his posting ground.

Imagine that the majority of the tweets that he has sent out: bullying, racist and threatening were put on Tech Spot. He would be putting the administration of the website under extreme pressure because he’d be violating their terms of service and forcing them to have to choose whether or not to suspend, delete his tweets or to ban his account.

Now imagine that he sent some of his Secret Service goons to the ch pot offices to unban his account. Or a Magine he use the power of government to threaten tech spot to either unblock his account or themselves have laws passed directly against the administration of the website.

That would be a violation of Techspots constitutional rights to run their business.

If tech spot would not allow this then why should any other social media service? Why should Twitter? Why should YouTube? Why should Facebook?

At the end of the day the person who is in the wrong here is Trump and I’m glad that the social media services have finally decided to stand up to him and tell him what to go do with himself.

If anybody deserves to end up a one-term president it’s him.

Yet there is tons of hate speech, violence, racism, and sexism directed towards Trump and his supporters (where are the "love Trumps hate" from 2016 people because they are the ones spewing hate) but no bans on those people especially from the left on these platforms where the TOS is violated. Lets face it, Democrats and the left want to censor Trump anyway they can to prevent him from winning a second term and that's it.

Reddit and Twitter are so incredibly angry they cant figure out how to stop people from seeing through their lies. They ban these communities for "aggrivation" yet let posts calling for the oppression, doxing (which they claim is a crime against them), harrassment, and culling of white people or anyone else they dont like.

This isnt going to stop him though. All this effort is only going to agitate his base of voters and lose more moderate voters.

Yet there is tons of hate speech, violence, racism, and sexism directed towards Trump and his supporters (where are the "love Trumps hate" from 2016 people because they are the ones spewing hate) but no bans on those people especially from the left on these platforms where the TOS is violated. Lets face it, Democrats and the left want to censor Trump anyway they can to prevent him from winning a second term and that's it.

It's funny that you immediately said "the democrats"...as if "the republicans" who were disgusted by Trump and wanted to keep him out of office don't exist?

Mitt Romney, General Mattis, even John Bolton...

I myself am a "Never Trump Republican" who is ready to vote against him in November for his racist, sexist, incompetent, abusive, conduct unbecoming and dereliction of duty.

And I'll say it again: these social media websites have the right to take whatever side they choose to take. That's their prerogative as corporations. Anyone who doesn't like it is free to go elsewhere.

I'm sure there's a right-wing friendly techspot out there somewhere. And if there isn't: create one.

The free market is always right.

It's funny that you immediately said "the democrats"...as if "the republicans" who were disgusted by Trump and wanted to keep him out of office don't exist?

Mitt Romney, General Mattis, even John Bolton...

I myself am a "Never Trump Republican" who is ready to vote against him in November for his racist, sexist, incompetent, abusive, conduct unbecoming and dereliction of duty.

And I'll say it again: these social media websites have the right to take whatever side they choose to take. That's their prerogative as corporations. Anyone who doesn't like it is free to go elsewhere.

I'm sure there's a right-wing friendly techspot out there somewhere. And if there isn't: create one.

The free market is always right.
Wow, the point of the post is how companies do have the right to censor anything they want. You are proving the point to all of us why they can and should. As long as your opinion is validated you are in perfect harmony, as soon as it is not, you are on the rooftop screaming "racist", "abusive", "sexist"....etc. I really don't care if social media sites censor anything, most people just think that if the rules apply to anyone, they should apply to all. I read the rules on the sites and they do NOT adhere to the rules of "hate speech" equally. Thanks and "Good Day".

Wow, the point of the post is how companies do have the right to censor anything they want. You are proving the point to all of us why they can and should. As long as your opinion is validated you are in perfect harmony, as soon as it is not, you are on the rooftop screaming "racist", "abusive", "sexist"....etc. I really don't care if social media sites censor anything, most people just think that if the rules apply to anyone, they should apply to all. I read the rules on the sites and they do NOT adhere to the rules of "hate speech" equally. Thanks and "Good Day".

I don't think you actually understand constitutional law.

I do however think you're so desperate to win the argument that you'll purposefully misrepresent what I said in order to convince yourself you did.

You have a nice day as well.

I don't think you actually understand constitutional law.

I do however think you're so desperate to win the argument that you'll purposefully misrepresent what I said in order to convince yourself you did.

You have a nice day as well.
My point is, if the owner has rules that apply to the site, then the rules should apply equally to everyone, not just certain people they don't agree with. The "hate" speech from everyone is appalling and it seems only one side gets censored when all should be. Thanks, hope you have a great rest of the week.

I have been sitting here reading all the comments this morning while drinking my fresh brewed cup of coffee and low and behold everyone is talking about my favorite topic The Undisputed Low Life Champion in the World Donald Trump OK OK let me stop before I get started on something else not relevant to the topic at hand, any way I feel anyone regardless of who they are or what they represent who posts comments on any social media site should follow all guide lines, rules and regulations set-forth by that site if you don't you should face the consequences to include being banned up to indefinitely this is my opinion

Lol

"It's a leftwing conspiracy!!"

Nope, it's just private communities exercising their right to weed out a**holes.

Lol

"It's a leftwing conspiracy!!"

Nope, it's just private communities exercising their right to weed out a**holes.

I always knew this was coming eventually. Corporations are focused on profit. There is no profit gained in "exclusion". These hate mongers online promote exclusion and tribalism and the corporations aren't going to stand for it. If they are seen as enablers, they will be boycotted.

As The Civil Rights movement proved: "if you hit them in their pockets - their hearts will follow".

This is why they fear globalism so much. Globalism and Corporatism punish racism, nationalism, tribalism, sexism, misogyny and any other "exclusive" behavior you can think of. Same goes for trans-rights and gay-rights.

The punishment is swift, severe and financially devastating.

These people are mad that the government itself has no power to regulate free speech, but highly popular internet community's administrations do.

I would go so far as to say that democratic republic government allows their exclusive practices to exist moreso than private corporation does - the main difference being, they'd be able to derive their funding from tax dollars by force of IRS rather than being forced to answer to shareholders.

God I love being a "true Republican capitalist".

Bullcrap. Trump does not need any help preventing himself from being elected to a second term. He has had almost four years of doing that himself. People are sick of his pedantic antics.

As to any of these social crap sites not banning hate speech from anyone, do you have a link to a reputable site that has found this to be true?

BTW - right-leaning "news" sites have proven they are more likely to embellish news stories than left-leaning sites https://cyber.harvard.edu/publications/2017/08/mediacloud and we have seen several instances of arrests of known right-wing extremists, during BLM protests, trying to blame their antics, even killing police, on the left - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ogaloo-follower-charged-policemans-death-blm/

Democrats and the left want to censor Trump anyway they can to prevent him from winning a second term and that's it.
No, it's because Donald Trump is a vile man. All that he spews forth is nothing less than napalm on the fires that is America. He needs to be removed from office by the people of the United States before this whole nation burns to the ground because of his racist BS.
Exactly. I don't care who wins the election as long as it's not Trump.

Please save www sites to hdd in europe. if he turn for internet it would be like living with dinos all over again.

If we are speaking about the law then we need to say that banning any social group or account has to be under the USA court jurisdiction. Social media giants can change or impact to opinion of millions. Also they can mislead people or hide some part of an information. And it doesn't work like it's my business and me and my investors do what we want. If they want to be independent then they must to limit an amount of registered accounts. The social media giants got too much power having the ability to overthrow the government in any aspect.
It must be a special law for the social media giants regulating their activity and responsibility. So they won't manipulate by any opinion as long as they got money for that. Today anybody can claim you as racist just because that one think so or paid for that.

I watched yesterday how the McCloskey defended their properties and perhaps only one thing stops YT to remove the video just because that McCloskey's action is under the 2nd Amendment. The Constitution of the United States is The Last Thing that the social media giants and big money still can't trample. But it's not for so long.

Also I do not trust such software companies like Mozilla anymore. Because it can open doors and reveal any your private information taking you as racist or sexist for example.

Freedom of speech is cancelled out by the Terms of Service that you agreed to when signing up for the service in question. If you didn't agree with the TOS, why did you sign up in the first place? And if you do manage to break the TOS you agreed to, don't be surprised if you're banned.

And yes, I do believe it should be applied to those on the left as well but that will come with time when we've finally weeded out the worthless racist garbage that the right spews.

If we are speaking about the law then we need to say that banning any social group or account has to be under the USA court jurisdiction. Social media giants can change or impact to opinion of millions. Also they can mislead people or hide some part of an information. And it doesn't work like it's my business and me and my investors do what we want. If they want to be independent then they must to limit an amount of registered accounts. The social media giants got too much power having the ability to overthrow the government in any aspect.
It must be a special law for the social media giants regulating their activity and responsibility. So they won't manipulate by any opinion as long as they got money for that. Today anybody can claim you as racist just because that one think so or paid for that.

I watched yesterday how the McCloskey defended their properties and perhaps only one thing stops YT to remove the video just because that McCloskey's action is under the 2nd Amendment. The Constitution of the United States is The Last Thing that the social media giants and big money still can't trample. But it's not for so long.

Also I do not trust such software companies like Mozilla anymore. Because it can open doors and reveal any your private information taking you as racist or sexist for example.

The McCloskey's...? you mean the couple who terrorized a protest by going outside their home while pointing an assault rifle and a handgun to them while no one was armed on the other side?

So for you, exercising your 2nd amendment is great even though it is used to diminish your 1st?

Last edited:
Trump and his minions have plenty of other avenues to spill their nonsense. No company is obligated to put up and have their TOS violated left and right. Plenty of other places where he can reach his constituents Gab, Stormfront, fox news, Parler, etc.

My point is, if the owner has rules that apply to the site, then the rules should apply equally to everyone, not just certain people they don't agree with. The "hate" speech from everyone is appalling and it seems only one side gets censored when all should be. Thanks, hope you have a great rest of the week.

If the rules were applied equally Trump should have been banned years ago from social media. He's violated twitter TOS hundreds of times.

Free Speech unless I don't agree with you.

Freedom of speech has only ever applied to only the government. When you are using a private service, you have zero expectancy of free speech.

Mind you, freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences. If you are being inflammatory, you reap what you sow.

This isn't surprising in the least. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Reddit is a leftist cesspool and the left has an infantile inability to hear contrary points of view.
All leftist speech = virtuous
All non-leftist speech = hate and must be banned/made illegal

Back