Redesigned Google Glass will be out soon says eyewear partner Luxottica

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google glass coming eyewear giant luxottica google nest labs visor google glass headset eyewear augmented reality tony fadell oakley ray-ban luxottica ivy ross wearable

Not much has been revealed about the second coming of Google Glass after it was essentially discontinued earlier this year. One thing we have learned recently, however, is that Google’s partnership with Italian eyewear maker Luxottica remains intact.

During a recent speaking engagement in Milan, Luxottica chief Massimo Vian revealed that the new version of Glass is indeed in the works and will be released soon.

Google initially partnered with Luxottica a little over a year ago to develop exclusive frames for Glass under two of the company’s popular brands, Oakley and Ray-Ban. The idea was to create something that’s not only technologically advanced but also fashion-friendly.

google glass coming eyewear giant luxottica google nest labs visor google glass headset eyewear augmented reality tony fadell oakley ray-ban luxottica ivy ross wearable

Glass was one of the hottest products in technology following its April 2012 debut. Although a true consumer model was never produced, Google offered prototype eyewear to developers through its Glass Explorer program at $1,500 each.

As units slowly worked their way into population, privacy concerns quickly derailed all the hype that Google managed to generate. Ultimately, the search giant decided to shutter the Explorer program and cease all sales of Glass in a move to completely redesign the product under the tutelage of Nest Labs founder Tony Fadell.

In January, fashion veteran and Glass boss Ivy Ross said the revised model would be cheaper and offer better battery life, a higher quality display and improved sound quality.

Image via Dan Leveille

Permalink to story.

The first generation required a facial change, because most look way too dorky wearing them. And the very conspicuous design reassured they got banned in most public places.

I wonder how they address those two major issues.

The technology is great, I could see some innovative work applications. Security personnel checking cameras, Technical support workers checking a helpdesk portal, warehouse management with package scanning, Insurance examiners, etc. The device itself has a lot to offer.

The problem as usual is people who misuse it.

Can't wait for the cases to start alleging that the design keeps poking people in the eye.

I have a much better idea, the micro-PC Hat. Does more, keeps your head warm and looks just like a hat!

Much better than looking like a complete tool who is trying so hard to be cool.

The sort of invention easily made fun out of on shows like 'Silicon Valley' etc.

"Wait babe, I need to recharge my GG before climax"

Maybe things might've worked out better for Google if they gave developers/testers $1500 plus the glasses instead of trying to squeeze $1500 out of them, at least it would've helped ease the pain of looking & feeling ridiculous.

Maybe things would've worked out better for Google if they gave developers/testers $1500 plus the glasses instead of trying to squeeze $1500 out of them, it would've at least help ease the pain of looking & feeling ridiculous.

$1500 isn't high enough a pay to let people around start hating you.

Back