Regarding Multicore upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrusroe

Hello, I'm a little rusty on the subject and I don't know where else to go for answers, so I'll go ahead and ask.

I am aware that for various AMD mobo's you have to flash the BIOS in order for it to work with multicore CPU's. So, lets say I buy a socket 939 board to replace my current socket 754 machine, along with a dual core proc. I read somewhere that a mobo can't be flashed unless it has a single core proc in there first, then letting it upgrade to dual core. However, since I don't have any skt939 single core cpu's that means that my new mobo/dualcore proc purchase is useless to me unless I buy a single core JUST to flash it and upgrade it to the dual core.

is this true, or am I blowing some random thing i read out of proportion? If it is true, are the makers of mobo and CPU's developing a way to prevent this kind of thing?

Looking forward to reply and thx in advance.
Cyrus

I think I read that someone got a dual core for their current 939 board and put a dual core and put it in without a bios update. It worked, but only on one core(like a normal cpu), until he could flash to a newer bios. Not sure how that'd work, or if it'd work on all boards that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back