Remedy crashes website with surprise Max Payne remake announcement

Daniel Sims

Staff
Highly anticipated: Remedy is remaking its early 2000s neo-noir, third-person shooter Max Payne. The game wowed players with action-packed gunfights featuring Matrix-inspired "bullet time." There were three entries in the franchise, but Remedy is only remaking the first two.

On Wednesday, Remedy Entertainment revealed the "Max Payne 1&2 Project." The studio plans to remake the first two Max Payne games for PC and current-generation consoles. The project is undergoing concept development and currently has no release date. However, Remedy has shared a few details.

Publisher Rockstar Games approached Remedy about remaking Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, even offering to finance the endeavor. The production is shooting for a AAA production, running on Remedy's Northlight engine, which powered Quantum Break, Control, and Crossfire X.

Rockstar and Remedy launched the original Max Payne and its sequel in 2001 and 2003, respectively, for PC, PlayStation 2, and the original Xbox. Rockstar-developed Max Payne 3 in 2012 for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 without Remedy's aid. All games were well-received and critically acclaimed for their John Woo-inspired action gameplay and noir-themed storylines.

The announcement generated so much interest it crashed Remedy's investor website, forcing the company to tweet an alternate link to the press release through Cision. It would seem that fans are still quite interested in the 20-year-old games.

Next year, Remedy plans to release the sequel to its 2010 psychological thriller shooter Alan Wake for PC and current-gen consoles. The Max Payne remakes are likely to launch much later.

Permalink to story.

Yes , put it on Max Payne 3 engine and it will be awesome

It'll be using the Northlight engine.

Even says it in TFA.

Which, that being said...Rockstar has nothing to do with Northlight, thats Remedy's engine. Rockstar made the Rage engine.
May want to correct the article here Daniel.

I have actually thought of playing again these two games so I'm glad there will be modernised versions and not just basic remasters, though even such would suffice. I guess remakes are good for teaching new employees fresh out of school many things, since I doubt such would be so common otherwise. Usually creative companies thrive to make something new, which I guess Remedy Entertainment does, but alas, I haven't been very interested in any of their games after Max Payne series. I might try Quantum Break if I get it for like 5 €, since at least that has something cool in it's gameplay, but overall their newer games are too heavy on the story side for me and I guess for many other fans of their older games. Max Payne 1 and 2 are games first and stories next.

Bleah, Northlight. Second slowest engine out there after the Red engine in CP2077, just look at the TPU FPS charts. However who's to say that UE5 won't be even slower?

I have actually thought of playing again these two games so I'm glad there will be modernised versions and not just basic remasters, though even such would suffice. I guess remakes are good for teaching new employees fresh out of school many things, since I doubt such would be so common otherwise. Usually creative companies thrive to make something new, which I guess Remedy Entertainment does, but alas, I haven't been very interested in any of their games after Max Payne series. I might try Quantum Break if I get it for like 5 €, since at least that has something cool in it's gameplay, but overall their newer games are too heavy on the story side for me and I guess for many other fans of their older games. Max Payne 1 and 2 are games first and stories next.
Remake and remaster are becoming very common and will continue to be so because this is the fastest way to make money without having to radically redesign or start a game development from scratch. You save money and time on scripts, story line and gameplay. All you need is to build the graphic/ visuals up from scratch. So it cuts both time to market and costs.

Loved the first 2, but I never had the time to play the 3rd. I will definitely check them out when they release.
The 3rd is also a gem. They went with the story from noir NYC to sunny Brasil and amazingly, it worked out great. You should definitely check it out, a classic.

It'll be using the Northlight engine.

Even says it in TFA.

Which, that being said...Rockstar has nothing to do with Northlight, thats Remedy's engine. Rockstar made the Rage engine.
May want to correct the article here Daniel.
Corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

I loved the Max Payne games when they came out. The first was groundbreaking by being the first game to incorporate bullet time. Yes, I know it was gimmicky, but Remedy made it work. I also really dug the comic-book style cutscenes. Vagrant Story was the first game I recall doing that, and I always thought it was a cool way to transition between levels.

This looks a good news to start the day with. I was in love with these game and it always felt that they were ahead of their times.

Back