Remember Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafficflow

I hooked up a Dell Dimension 3000 for grandaughter. She is only 6 and has a hard time with signing in. How do you turn on when you type it finish the word? I think this would help. Thanks

I'm trying to understand your question. I think you want to bypass the password prompt. You'll probably just need to create an account without a password, or remove it from existing account. Before we go any further, please tell us what operating system you're using. :)

I hooked up a Dell Dimension 3000 for grandaughter. She is only 6 and has a hard time with signing in. How do you turn on when you type it finish the word? I think this would help. Thanks
I think you are asking about "autofill" where the computer tries to complete certain words??

Though logon passwords can't be "autofill'ed". HOWEVER, you can set the computer to auto logon to a specific user id. Is that what you want to do???

LookinAround you have it. I guess it is called autofill. When she types in the username or what else she uses it will complete after one letter is put in like business use?

LookinAround you have it. I guess it is called autofill. When she types in the username or what else she uses it will complete after one letter is put in like business use?

Yes. Autofill can work for website logons (and some tools even remember/fill in password for you) but

1) If OP is talking about Windows logon, that cannot be "auto-filled"
2) However, the computer might be set to automatically logon to a specific userid (if that's what they mean)

you beat me to the punch.. tho i was going to correct a few things (tell me if you found otherwise)

1. I guess it's actually called "autocomplete" (vs. autofill)
2. Looks like the feature was in IE 7 but not to be found in IE 8
3. However not to confuse "autocomplete" with saved passwords (which i think is what you're really after?
4. Re: Saving passwords, i've found them much easier to control (and correct upon errors) using Firefox. Under Tools->Options->Security, click Saved Passwords and Show Passwords and you can see each entry and selectively delete if incorrect logon entries had been saved

I changed the settings on the computer remotely and I am waiting for feedback. It is actually for the username that she has the problem with. I have windows 7 and it works good. XP not so well. Is there anything else out there for this issue?

I turned on the autocomplete and it doesnot really do a whole lot. To be clear I am trying to make it complete the websiteas you are typing. I cleaned the history to start off fresh. Thanks for the help.

Sorry. I wasn't sure. Last time i thought you were referring to Windows logon but i understand you need userid/password for web site logons?

Both IE and Firefox allow you to save logons for most websites
Firefox
> Click Tools->Security->Remember Passwords for sites
> Note you can click Saved Passwords button anytime to delete the info as well (if a bad user/password gets saved)
> Note you should help her the first time for each new web site as FF will prompt the first time at the website if it should save the password or not

IE
Here's the info from IE 8 help
By default, Internet Explorer is set up to remember passwords automatically if you would like it to do so. When you first type a password into a web form, you will be asked if you would like Internet Explorer to remember the password. If you would like the password to be remembered, simply click Yes.

If you are not asked whether you would like the password to be remembered, you need to turn on the AutoComplete feature.

To turn on the AutoComplete feature

In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
Click the Content tab.
Under AutoComplete, click Settings.
Select the User names and passwords on forms check box.
If you would like Internet Explorer to ask you for permission to save new passwords, select the Ask me before saving passwords check box. If you want Internet Explorer to save passwords automatically and not ask for your permission for each new password, clear that check box.
Click OK twice.
Note

If you want to delete the names, passwords, or other information that is saved in Internet Explorer, you can do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back