RemoteCtl.exe error at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first log on to my Dell desktop running XP home I get the message "RemoteCtl.exe has encountered problems and is shutting down" or something very close. When I click not to send the issue to MicroSoft the box goes away and I don't see anything else weird but I'd sure like to get rid of it. I only set the computer up yesterday and I can't believe I've already found a way to screw it up.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to TechSpot

That program is normally associated with a TV-tunercard. Do you have that?
If not, click on Start/Run and type in msconfig and hit enter.
See if it is mentioned anywhere in the start-options. If so, UNtick it and reboot.
Check if everything else still works OK.

Wow addict, you nailed it. The boot up/login goes without a hitch now. I had just installed a USB tuner device but didn't associate remote.ctl with it for some reason. I feel a lot better having a clean startup. Now I'm ready to muddle with it again. Stay tuned.

Thanks again.

Incidentally, thanks for the welcone, and sorry for confusing your ranking with your handle, realblackstuff.

Kevin

RemoteCtl.exe error

I am facing similar problem.
After log on to my desktop running 2000 prof I am getting the message "RemoteCtl.exe has encountered problems and windows is shutting down this program and you have to restart the program". I have TV tuner card in my system. after this message tv will not work.
i want to get ride of this problem
it will be great if you can help me
thanks in advance

When I first log on to my Dell desktop running XP home I get the message "RemoteCtl.exe has encountered problems and is shutting down" or something very close. When I click not to send the issue to MicroSoft the box goes away and I don't see anything else weird but I'd sure like to get rid of it. I only set the computer up yesterday and I can't believe I've already found a way to screw it up.

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back