Replaced power supply, cd/dvd drives not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi -

Very inexperienced in computers - but I replaced my power supply and my video card. But when I boot up it says that the cd and dvd drives are not recognized. Can anyone give me any guidance?

Shelly

Make sure that the 4-pin connector is connected back into the cd/dvd drive and that the either SATA or IDE cable is connected also

The 4-pin connector is plugged in. Please forgive my ignorance - but the SATA or IDE cable - is that the grey ribbon connected to the cd, the dvd and then into the motherboard?

Ok well check that
And that would be your IDE cable. and yes thats it.
I wasn't sure if you had a SATA or IDE. lol
So it is hooked in also?

That is plugged in as well. When I replaced the power supply I didn't do anything to that ribbon cable.

BTW - thank you so much for responding! I am so frustrated by this. :)

I got it from dell. From their website I was redirected to startech.com. "ATX12V 2.01 power supply for dell pc's" 400 watts. The old one was 250 watts. I am looking at the box of the new one - and where it says "compatible dell systems: dimension series models" - there is no 8400 - which is what I have. Could this be a/the problem? I just noticed that.

You can use the edit button to edit previous posts.
And no that wouldn't be the problem. Its getting enough power but its starting to sound like to me is you cd/dvd drive is bad. I had this happen to me when i was working on an old dell.
When you push the button on the drive does it come in and out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back