Researchers develop nanoparticles that may soon give humans night vision

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Bottom line: Researchers have created an injection that allows mice to see in the dark. The solution is comprised of nanoparticles and may eventually be used in humans for various applications.

Scientists from the University of Science and Technology of China and the University of Massachusetts have developed nanoparticles that when injected into the eyes, gave mice near-infrared (NIR) vision allowing them to see in the dark.

“Mammals cannot see light over 700 nm in wavelength. This limitation is due to the physical thermodynamic properties of the photon-detecting opsins,” the study published in Cell reads. “To break this limitation, we developed ocular injectable photoreceptor-binding upconversion nanoparticles (pbUCNPs).”

The pbUCNPs, also called “nanoantennae,” attach themselves to retinal photoreceptors and act “as miniature NIR light transducers.” In other words, the particles convert infrared light into green light. This allows the retinas to register images in NIR the same way infrared goggles do.

The scientists confirmed this by studying the behavior and physiological reactions of mice treated with the particles. Examination of the pupils showed them constrict when exposed to near-infrared light, even from a very low power source. The control mice pupils did not react at all to the NIR light.

They also used single-photoreceptor recordings, electroretinograms, cortical recordings, and visual behavioral tests to confirm that the mice saw in the dark.

“We demonstrated that mice with these nanoantennae could not only perceive NIR light but also see NIR light patterns,” the team explained. “Excitingly, the injected mice were also able to differentiate sophisticated NIR shape patterns.”

Even more impressive was the discovery that the particles did not interfere with normal daylight vision. The mice were able to see NIR light and visible light simultaneously.

The scientists said the injections lasted about 10 weeks and showed no signs of any adverse side effects. They see a variety of applications in humans, including correcting color blindness and military use in nighttime combat.

“This new method will provide unmatched opportunities for a wide variety of emerging bio-integrated nanodevice designs and applications,” they concluded.

The team did not mention whether it was pursuing approval for trials on humans.

Permalink to story.

Great application for military and those forced to work at night but other than that, what would the application be? Lasting for only 2 months the expenses could be huge and I wonder how many people would volunteer for a needle in each eye every couple of months? Still, it is an excellent example of science at work .... something that the current administration doesn't seem to understand, believe, or even appreciate .....

Great application for military and those forced to work at night but other than that, what would the application be? Lasting for only 2 months the expenses could be huge and I wonder how many people would volunteer for a needle in each eye every couple of months? Still, it is an excellent example of science at work .... something that the current administration doesn't seem to understand, believe, or even appreciate .....

Sir, I have some bad news. You've tested positive for Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Useless fact, the human eye can see more shades of green than any other color. that's why most night vision goggles are green. when it comes in eye drops, sign me up.

Another useless fact : everything green will now still be green too. Also there are only two actual colors, red and violet, and the rest are just spin combinations our brain generates for us.

Cool tech, but something has been lost in translation here. It sounds to me that this doesn't give "night vision" at all, it just allows the eye to also see some of the IR spectrum. The IR spectrum is just as useless at night as human-visual or mammal-visual perception is in the dark. You'd still need an IR light source to illuminate the area with which you wish to see in the dark.

And how do they know these particles convert IR light into visible green light? You can't see what the mice were seeing... and this is nothing like "infrared goggles", which generally means thermal imaging as far as I'm aware. Perhaps thinking of some sort of night vision and IR illumination-assisted goggles combo - I don't know. Anyway, just some confused interpretation going on here...

I'll volunteer to have one of my eyes injected with this stuff and I'll tell you what I can see with it, assuming I don't start convulsing and die shortly after the injection.

Useless fact, the human eye can see more shades of green than any other color. that's why most night vision goggles are green. when it comes in eye drops, sign me up.

That's due to the eyes evolution with a sun that has the peak of it's spectral output in the green. If our sun were hotter or cooler our eyes would have evolved to be more sensitive in the bluer or redder part of the spectrum respectively.

This is EXTREMELY interesting find. Having NIR receptors change entire vision - normal human eye has 'detecting' proteins which give signal to optic nerve when and how light of the different wavelength is projected on eye (I'm a medical professional, so this is not something very interesting - normally).

Some kinds of tropical fishes have 6 types of wavelengths receptor, and they see insanely coloured pictures which we can't imagine. Some insects see UV.

But in HUMAN EYE, adding functional NIR receptor which transmits signal to the brain, it kinda doesn't give 4th primary colour. Eye sees typical 3 colours, but WITH NIR modifications - NIR is totally common and actually seeing it may results in... Well, we have no idea.

What is basically thermal-based receptor may result in changing drastically or constantly (or both) the picture the brain sees - it's now also heat-dependent. Your house seems different on 20 C, then on 0 C, or 30 C - ALL the normal colours are affected, what's more the same uniform green colour looks different depending on heat.

Night vision is just one of the consequences - most colours aren't seen, but NIR detect temperature, so it's kinda existing technology - which is removable or can be turned off, unlike injected nanoparticles. Day vision is probably hugely influenced. Or perhaps brain can learn to differ NIR picture from visible specter. Or only kid brain can learn it.

But, as always bloody mices have all the fun. I'd volunteer for this, even immediately - but external eye simulator probably can and will be made at some time. Theme is quite Lovecraftian...

Wrong way again. As usual. The proper way is genetic treatment to make our body add such particles from the food, into the retina, the natural way. No need for needles, no wearing off, no side effects. But when did biologists EVER do things the right way?

Back