Researchers find backdoor in thousands of generic Android set-top boxes

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Caveat emptor: We all love a good deal, but sometimes, when pursuing them, we prove the adage, "You get what you pay for." Security researchers discovered thousands of cheap Android streaming boxes with firmware backdoors actively connected to command-and-control (C2) servers in China.

In January, security researcher Daniel Milisic found that a cheap, unbranded streaming box, only designated T95, was infected with unremovable malware seemingly straight from the factory. Several other researchers confirmed that the Android-based system was infected with a backdoor installed sometime before reaching retailers. However, more recent research claims that the problem may be more widespread than expected.

Human Security just revealed it has discovered seven Android streaming boxes with similar backdoors to the T95. It also found one tablet and the signs of at least another 200 Android device models that may be compromised. The research firm told Wired that it had tracked the devices and found them in US residences, schools, and businesses. It also found and took down an ad scam that likely funded the criminal operation. And what these devices do is illegal.

"They're like a Swiss Army knife of doing bad things on the Internet," Human Security CISO Gavin Reid said. "This is a truly distributed way of doing fraud."

Human Security has designated the infection as Badbox and the malicious advertising campaign as Peachpit.

The seven boxes impacted by Badbox are unbranded equipment manufactured in China. The researchers say the hackers could have installed the firmware backdoor sometime after the devices left the plant and before reaching resellers. The only real identifying markings on the devices appear to be model numbers rather than names. They include the original T95 found in January, T95Z, T95MAX, X88, Q9, X12PLUS, and MXQ Pro 5G. The generic Android tablet is simply identified as J5-W.

The malware is based on Triada, first discovered by Kaspersky in 2016. It slightly modifies the Android OS to allow it to access apps installed on the device. Then, it sets up communication with a C2 server.

"Unbeknownst to the user, when you plug this thing in, it goes to a command and control (C2) in China and downloads an instruction set and starts doing a bunch of bad stuff," Reid says.

Some of the "bad stuff" Reid mentions specifically includes advertising fraud, creating fake Gmail and WhatsApp accounts using the connections, and remote code installation. The bad actors also sell access to compromised home networks so other criminals can use the node as a proxy for illegal activity.

Human Security notes that the hackers were selling access to nodes on the dark web and claimed to have access to over 10 million home IP addresses and seven million mobile IPs. Fortunately, Milisic reports that the C2 hubs the malware connected to have been taken down, so the backdoor is effectively neutered for now. However, the malware is still in place and could conceivably be reactivated with new servers.

Additionally, the are several million similar cases unrelated to Badbox. Trend Micro studied a similar malware campaign with as many as 20 million impacted devices, which shows just how widespread the problem may be when looked at as a whole.

Buyer beware: That cheap streaming device could turn your home network into a hacker hub without you even knowing it. A good rule of thumb in this case would be if it doesn't have a brand name, it's probably best to take a hard pass.

Permalink to story.

So many clueless consumers, so little time.

so when back doors are discovered in main stream chips, will you feel the same? Outside of the chip mfr, I doubt anyone knew there was a backdoor. This is going to be continue to be a problem as most chips are made in China. Brand names or not, streaming boxes or a Tesla. The chips can have so much built in that is impossible for even a tech savvy buyer to not fall prey. I wish it was as simple as don't buy Chinese stuff, but nothing is made here in the USA,---and even if it was--no telling what back doors are built into things.

so when back doors are discovered in main stream chips, will you feel the same? Outside of the chip mfr, I doubt anyone knew there was a backdoor. This is going to be continue to be a problem as most chips are made in China. Brand names or not, streaming boxes or a Tesla. The chips can have so much built in that is impossible for even a tech savvy buyer to not fall prey. I wish it was as simple as don't buy Chinese stuff, but nothing is made here in the USA,---and even if it was--no telling what back doors are built into things.
Are you defending thieves???

Are you defending thieves???
No he's not he's simply stating that even the tech savvy can be caught out with this type of bad actor malware and it's getting hard to trust anyone these day even device made in the U.S.A could contain backdoors that you don't know about. One only has to look at how badly the Pegasus and Pegasus II malware has been misused to realize bad people do bad thing to everyone because they don't care

Need a streaming front end? Seems simple.
In no particular order, get a Roku, Apple TV, Xbox or PlayStation.

From what I hear, the only trustworthy Android device is the genuine Android TV
and Nvidia Shield TV.

No he's not he's simply stating that even the tech savvy can be caught out with this type of bad actor malware and it's getting hard to trust anyone these day even device made in the U.S.A could contain backdoors that you don't know about. One only has to look at how badly the Pegasus and Pegasus II malware has been misused to realize bad people do bad thing to everyone because they don't care
I know you're both using an article about shady Android boxes and companies to bring up what Snowden already told us for some reason. I'm not interested in your "Us vs Them" stuff. We're all being spied on. This is not news.

People giving money for illegal content via no name electronics boxes from no name manufacturers, and they themselves get what they deserve as thieves.

"Buyer beware: That cheap streaming device could turn your home network into a hacker hub without you even knowing it. A good rule of thumb in this case would be if it doesn't have a brand name, it's probably best to take a hard pass."

Agreed.

Last edited:
I know you're both using an article about shady Android boxes and companies to bring up what Snowden already told us for some reason. I'm not interested in your "Us vs Them" stuff. We're all being spied on. This is not news.

People giving money for illegal content via no name electronics boxes from no name manufacturers, and they themselves get what they deserve as thieves.

"Buyer beware: That cheap streaming device could turn your home network into a hacker hub without you even knowing it. A good rule of thumb in this case would be if it doesn't have a brand name, it's probably best to take a hard pass."

Agreed.

I dunno this article screams that a China mode got caught out doing shady stuff on cheap streaming boxes.
Amazon fire, nvidia shield also streaming boxes.
Also made in China.
Also a potential red flag.
Everyone's a potential issue.
If we have stuff built by our own? Perhaps?
Countries in this day and age need to be self sufficient.

Need a streaming front end? Seems simple.
In no particular order, get a Roku, Apple TV, Xbox or PlayStation.

From what I hear, the only trustworthy Android device is the genuine Android TV
and Nvidia Shield TV.
Some shared hosting sites can stream ;)

What about other electronic devices made in china like phones, etc?

All risks

However, China cannot make advanced chips so stick with iPhone or if you want to avoid China for the assembly then you can use Samsung which is more detached from China than Apple is yet, even though more and more apple phones are being made in India now

Exactly-- I own Roku boxes as well as streaming boxes. Brand names or not, always a risk. I wish there was a brand name box, though, that had a USB slot. I like to use YouTube on the box and need to add a USB wireless keyboard. Can't do that with any of the 'brand name' devices, that I know of. I would hope some kind of app is released so we can check out our boxes for this back door.

My friend had a generic tablet (probably from Wish.com, he loved that site even though the electronics from it were god-awful) that did this stuff. He powered it up and it started autoinstalling all kinds of crap. I did manage to find the malware installed on that one and rip it out using adb, as far as I could tell. It also falsely and fraudulent said it had like Android 7, it really had Android 4.4 just modded to lie in the menus, and claimed it had more storage than it really had. I didn't bother to tell him that part, since at the time the games and such he wanted ran fine on it either way.

I dunno this article screams that a China mode got caught out doing shady stuff on cheap streaming boxes.
Amazon fire, nvidia shield also streaming boxes.
Also made in China.
Also a potential red flag.
Everyone's a potential issue.
If we have stuff built by our own? Perhaps?
Countries in this day and age need to be self sufficient.
I think this article went over your head.

It's too bad nvidia has allowed the shield TV to rot as long as it has. An updated chip and M.2 SSD could breathe new life into that box.
I have 3 TV Pros and the only thing I came up with (just an opinion of course) is that since the TV pro is just for streaming any game more complicated than Zuma, faster internals were not a necessity.

My friend had a generic tablet (probably from Wish.com, he loved that site even though the electronics from it were god-awful) that did this stuff. He powered it up and it started autoinstalling all kinds of crap. I did manage to find the malware installed on that one and rip it out using adb, as far as I could tell. It also falsely and fraudulent said it had like Android 7, it really had Android 4.4 just modded to lie in the menus, and claimed it had more storage than it really had. I didn't bother to tell him that part, since at the time the games and such he wanted ran fine on it either way.
What did you find? I'm reading that the FOTA malware is part of the system and can't be removed, but can be disabled. I'm going to be installing adb and try to use it. I'm comfortable with command line input, but not familar with android on this level. (I've reinstalled ROMs but that is about it)

All risks

However, China cannot make advanced chips so stick with iPhone or if you want to avoid China for the assembly then you can use Samsung which is more detached from China than Apple is yet, even though more and more apple phones are being made in India now
You are kidding, right? Apple products safe from spying and malware...really.

Back