ReShade support is reportedly coming to GeForce drivers next week

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Bottom line: Nvidia reportedly has a new driver for GeForce cards that will integrate support for ReShade post-processing injection filters. Hopefully, the drivers will not wreak havoc on frame rates or get misidentified by cheat detection solutions as the standalone software sometimes does.

VideoCardz notes that Nvidia has confirmed it will be adding ReShade filters to its next set of GeForce drivers. The updates should be available starting next week after the launch of the GeForce GTX 1660 Super GPU.

Nvidia said the ReShade filters would be supported by the GeForce Experience software using Nvidia Freestyle and Ansel technologies.

ReShade is an open-source post-processing injection tool that allows users to make custom filters to change a game’s appearance. It is mostly used to add graphical enhancements that are not in the game natively, like SMAA antialiasing, screen-space ambient occlusion, depth of field, and others — sometimes sacrificing frame rate.

It can also be used to simply change the tone of the game by increasing saturation, skewing the hue, or sharpening the image, which has no impact on game performance. Nvidia claims that “hundreds of filters” will be available.

TechPowerUp points out that the driver-level ReShade feature is likely to be a bit more bare-bones than the standalone software. However, Nvidia will likely “curate” more ReShade tools into future drivers. That is assuming that games do not suffer performance-wise from the integration.

ReShade is not without its issues. In some games, it gets falsely flagged as cheat software resulting in auto-bans. This problem is easily resolved by not running ReShade in games known to do this. Whether it can be disabled at the driver-level is unclear.

The software can also lower frame rates depending on what filters and settings are used. Hopefully, this would be where Nvidia curation would come in to ensure only ReShade settings that have negligible to zero impact on game performance are allowed.

Regardless the caveats, the ReShade project is likely to see a huge increase in gamer interest in the software with a big name like Nvidia providing support.

Permalink to story.

ReShade is the best thing that happened to gaming. It really makes everything pop although it does tax your grfx card quite heavily depending on the game. *looking at Skyrim*

ReShade is the best thing that happened to gaming. It really makes everything pop although it does tax your grfx card quite heavily depending on the game. *looking at Skyrim*
Any good ReShade tools? The ones I've used didn't really like me.

I love using ReShade in 8-bit and 16-bit indie retro-style games as a CRT filter with added blur, color enhancements and scanlines. Many of these games don't have any sort of filters, and in most that do, their native CRT filter preset created by the devs look terrible (they often make the mistake of using very exaggerated filters with scanlines that are too thick and too dark, and/or too much blur, among other problems).

Honestly, I'd rather not have Nvidia mess with this and keep ReShade as a separate application.

I love using ReShade in 8-bit and 16-bit indie retro-style games as a CRT filter with added blur, color enhancements and scanlines. Many of these games don't have any sort of filters, and in most that do, their native CRT filter preset created by the devs look terrible (they often make the mistake of using very exaggerated filters with scanlines that are too thick and too dark, and/or too much blur, among other problems).

Honestly, I'd rather not have Nvidia mess with this and keep ReShade as a separate application.

Yeah. Remember Ageia. Nvidia overtake them and by making PhysX contemporary they essentially killed it.

If the black rectangle below the wing is supposed to be a shadow, then they have it completely wrong :)
It's not. That's a Mercedes. They have hydraulic spoilers that raise and lower. What you are seeing is the lower compartment where the mechanism is housed. ;) That's a high-res pic, so if you open it in a new tab you can better see that it's not a shadow.

It's not. That's a Mercedes. They have hydraulic spoilers that raise and lower. What you are seeing is the lower compartment where the mechanism is housed. ;) That's a high-res pic, so if you open it in a new tab you can better see that it's not a shadow.
Used-2018-Mercedes-Benz-AMG-GT-R.jpg

wtf are you talking about man?
2mercedesamggtr.jpg

Yeah. Remember Ageia. Nvidia overtake them and by making PhysX contemporary they essentially killed it.
I have trouble understanding what you said? What does "making PhysX contemporary" mean cos translates to me as - they made PhysX modern / for now times. WHich I dont see as an issue nor would that mean they killed it.

Ageia was so good NVIDIA bought them and acquired their tech. Hence we now have PhysX. Thats the opposite of killed it off.

Back