Resident Evil Village launches on iPhone 15 Pro and select iPads

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Capcom's highly anticipated mobile adaptation of Resident Evil Village is now available on select late-model iPhones and iPads. The game is free to try but you will want to be aware of a few caveats before diving in.

For starters, RE: Village is only compatible with the iPhone 15 Pro / iPhone 15 Pro Max and iPad Pro / Air with the M1 chip or later. Everyone else need not apply. The game is free to download and try but you'll only have access to the opening story unless you pay up.

Pricing is set at $39.99 for the full base game and an additional $19.99 for the Winters' Expansion DLC but for a limited time (through November 20), you can score 60 percent off which brings the base game and expansion down to $15.99. The DLC can also be picked up for just $9.99 during the sale, and you can get an all-access content voucher for an additional $1.99.

As for storage requirements, that's where things get a bit uncertain. The App Store listing on an iPhone 15 Pro Max says you'll need at least 1.37 GB of space but in the release notes, Capcom says the application is approximately 16 GB. Perhaps the trial is only 1.37 GB and the full game with DLC requires 16 GB? Or maybe that's the full base game before DLC?

Capcom also mentions that while RE: Village supports touch controls, the game is best experienced using a standalone game controller. Don't bother trying to use a keyboard and mouse, however, as Capcom notes they are not supported.

Village looks to be the first game that'll really make the most of the A17 Pro inside Apple's new iPhone 15 Pro handsets. Even if you don't have much interest in Capcom's survival horror franchise, it may be worth checking out the free trial on iPhone or iPad simply to get an idea of what the state of mobile gaming looks like in late 2023.

Permalink to story.

I’ve given it a go, it runs pretty good, you get the odd framerate stutter but generally very stable.

What does stick out is how good MetalFX upscaling is, the game is rendering at 720p but it upscales quite well, not quite as good as DLSS but better than FSR, there’s some shimmering but nowhere near as much as you’d see with FSR.

I’ve given it a go, it runs pretty good, you get the odd framerate stutter but generally very stable.

What does stick out is how good MetalFX upscaling is, the game is rendering at 720p but it upscales quite well, not quite as good as DLSS but better than FSR, there’s some shimmering but nowhere near as much as you’d see with FSR.

Well, the shimmering and other artifacts are much smaller on a 7” screen than a 27-36” screen.

I applaud the AAA game on mobile, but this isn’t my genre of game so I’ll pass and hope for more in the future.

Hope y’all enjoy 720p or lower res at 30fps on a device that cost over a grand. Ridiculous.

You just don't get it. You think it ends here? Take the Apple TV, eventually these SOC's will trickle down to those devices too. Then how would you feel about AAA gaming on a console that consumes less power than an Xbox or PS5 and at less than half the cost? This is only the beginning, MS and Sony should be very afraid should Apple decide they want to go full MS and snap up a bunch of dev studios to produce decent first party content...

You just don't get it. You think it ends here? Take the Apple TV, eventually these SOC's will trickle down to those devices too. Then how would you feel about AAA gaming on a console that consumes less power than an Xbox or PS5 and at less than half the cost? This is only the beginning, MS and Sony should be very afraid should Apple decide they want to go full MS and snap up a bunch of dev studios to produce decent first party content...

I seriously doubt Apple would do that to any great extent - you already get Apple games on your TV I believe

ARM can already run emulators- With Windows ARM - and new SOCs coming why bother with Apple
when you can choose Windows or Linus for gaming

Sure if an Apple TV box is cheap and comes with free games - but I think you need to pay a sub
Most gamers don't want to be controlled and shorn like sheep
We will game outside of Apple thanks - be able to tie our Steam account to our TV, Media boxes , handheld consoles , NUC like devices - be able to plug in whatever we want - not what Apple tells me I'm allowed

Apple has Apple users - then there is everyone else
Apple competing with Sony or MS for gaming is a joke.
You have to go back to 1981 for when Apple was the top gaming PC

You know we can cheaply attach , install memory , hard drives , GPUs on non-Apple stuff

My apple hate speech for the day - live free and unfettered

Anyway - there are those who just have a Ipad , or Apple TV and no other Apple device - Could you imagine the cost of Apples controllers -anything like the VR thingy - won't be cheap

I seriously doubt Apple would do that to any great extent - you already get Apple games on your TV I believe

ARM can already run emulators- With Windows ARM - and new SOCs coming why bother with Apple
when you can choose Windows or Linus for gaming

Sure if an Apple TV box is cheap and comes with free games - but I think you need to pay a sub
Most gamers don't want to be controlled and shorn like sheep
We will game outside of Apple thanks - be able to tie our Steam account to our TV, Media boxes , handheld consoles , NUC like devices - be able to plug in whatever we want - not what Apple tells me I'm allowed

Apple has Apple users - then there is everyone else
Apple competing with Sony or MS for gaming is a joke.
You have to go back to 1981 for when Apple was the top gaming PC

You know we can cheaply attach , install memory , hard drives , GPUs on non-Apple stuff

My apple hate speech for the day - live free and unfettered

Anyway - there are those who just have a Ipad , or Apple TV and no other Apple device - Could you imagine the cost of Apples controllers -anything like the VR thingy - won't be cheap
Sure it costs money to get Apple Arcade..but so too does GamePass. Apple already allows whatever Bluetooth controller you want use with Apple TV. Apple does have to really want to compete, the current game selection on Arcade is awful compared to even MS catalog. Apple is known for it's simplicity...something Linux and even Windows sometimes aren't known for. It's a console and if I have to explain why consoles are attractive to gamers...I don't know what to tell you.

You are absolutely delusional if you think Apple is going to make a gaming console or use Apple TV to compete with consoles. Apple can’t get devs to make games on MAC as it is. Maybe 1 percent of PC games get ported to MAC. Good luck thinking Apple truly cares about gaming. If you don’t believe me look at their history of gaming. Every 10 years they come out saying how important gaming is and then gives up on it in a few years and after about 10 more years they bring it up again. The 90s and early 2000s were actually way better gaming for a MAC than it is now.

You are absolutely delusional if you think Apple is going to make a gaming console or use Apple TV to compete with consoles. Apple can’t get devs to make games on MAC as it is. Maybe 1 percent of PC games get ported to MAC. Good luck thinking Apple truly cares about gaming. If you don’t believe me look at their history of gaming. Every 10 years they come out saying how important gaming is and then gives up on it in a few years and after about 10 more years they bring it up again. The 90s and early 2000s were actually way better gaming for a MAC than it is now.
I don't know if they are or aren't. Nor would I personally be interested in such a device. But I acknowledge the possibility now exists if Apple wants to take that market. Especially in a few more years as their silicon gets even more advanced. All I'm saying is that Apple could create an Xbox/PS killer with Apple TV if they actually wanted to. Denying that the possibility even exists is absurd.

Sure it costs money to get Apple Arcade..but so too does GamePass. Apple already allows whatever Bluetooth controller you want use with Apple TV. Apple does have to really want to compete, the current game selection on Arcade is awful compared to even MS catalog. Apple is known for it's simplicity...something Linux and even Windows sometimes aren't known for. It's a console and if I have to explain why consoles are attractive to gamers...I don't know what to tell you.
Cheers for the update about BT controllers - just remember I hate Apple ( kind of fake hate ) = I think Apple has 3 advantages money, cloud ability and captive audience - that's it
Epic is struggling to build a game empire

Bid AAA games can cost a couple of hundred million smackers - getting it to Steam, Xbox, PS is the the normal way -even Sony is releasing many of the biggies delayed to Steam

MS seriously stuffed up with it's phones - not enough cajones to spend 5 Billion to boost their app store

Cheers for the update about BT controllers - just remember I hate Apple ( kind of fake hate ) = I think Apple has 3 advantages money, cloud ability and captive audience - that's it
Epic is struggling to build a game empire

Bid AAA games can cost a couple of hundred million smackers - getting it to Steam, Xbox, PS is the the normal way -even Sony is releasing many of the biggies delayed to Steam

MS seriously stuffed up with it's phones - not enough cajones to spend 5 Billion to boost their app store
You won't hear any argument from me about Windows Phones...I actually rather liked them. I laugh when I saw they are actually still supported on ATT network. Seriously, nobody should use them today after how many years without OS updates. Apple would have to really want the market to muscle in but they certainly could make a contender for the Xbox and PS crowd.

Back