Revisiting the GeForce GTX 1070 in 2021: The Little Old GPU That Could

Wtf? many years the market and reviewers pressure was to "buy a new card" now it is "you are ok with a 5yr old one"

Oh come on: we're probably 1 to 3 months max away from a Desktop 3050 ti that will match or surpass the 1070 and should be 200-250. And no it won't be as attractive to Eth because it probably will have both less and slower gddr than the 1070

Among the foolish "Should you buy an old GPU?" series this is probably the least good idea given that we know a direct equivalent in performance for half the price is around the corner and can already be tested in laptops.

In Europe, we can find RTX3080Ti today for around 1,400 euro (without VAT), which in my opinion is a way better investment than those obsolete cards. The scalping surplus has gone way under 50% at this point, which makes it somewhat bearable. I personally purchased MSI RTX3080Ti X TRIO from this list.

Today prices from www.computeruniverse.de

prices.png

Last edited:
Not sure where they found one at that price but the GeForce GTX 1070 is selling for right around $700 as a renewed item on Amazon & a few other sites ..... what's with that?

Oh come on: we're probably 1 to 3 months max away from a Desktop 3050 ti that will match or surpass the 1070 and should be 200-250. And no it won't be as attractive to Eth because it probably will have both less and slower gddr than the 1070

Among the foolish "Should you buy an old GPU?" series this is probably the least good idea given that we know a direct equivalent in performance for half the price is around the corner and can already be tested in laptops.
yeah, but then gamers who are priced out of the tier above by ETH will bid it up and the market distortion will just waterfall down the stack :-(

Just have to hope those Chinese ETH farms liquidate and flood the market with used $300 3060s!

That GTX 1070 in the photo is, uh, shagging or listing downwards. Looks really bad, isn't there a bracket to fix this?

yeah, but then gamers who are priced out of the tier above by ETH will bid it up and the market distortion will just waterfall down the stack :-(

Just have to hope those Chinese ETH farms liquidate and flood the market with used $300 3060s!
I mean yeah, this is probably what's going to happen you're right, but it doesn't needs to: If Nvidia produces enough 3050ti's for everyone then the prices wouldn't go up even with many more customers than usual on this tier of cards.

Not that I think Nvidia will be able to produce sufficient 3050tis though, my guess is that a paper launch is coming soon in hopes to get decent volume by end of the year but even that is up in the air they might not be able to manage even that much.

That GTX 1070 in the photo is, uh, shagging or listing downwards. Looks really bad, isn't there a bracket to fix this?

Most of them don't come with brackets. Father time, you know?

I sold my 1070 when the mining craze hit (the card was worth more than when I bought it).

It also had a sag due to not having a brace on it (MSI model). But the buyer didn't care. It worked.

1,400 Euro is still a foolish price for most, even in this market. I could purchase one, but I'd feel like I'm being ripped off big time (which let's face it, it is a rip-off price), luckily I sold my GTX 1070 for £220 beginning of last year as I saw a 1080TI going for £360 on eBay, so £140 for a bit of an upgrade 😁 it's been a fantastic card & I'm staying with it until the market changes from Rip-off mode 👍

1,400 Euro is still a foolish price for most, even in this market. I could purchase one, but I'd feel like I'm being ripped off big time (which let's face it, it is a rip-off price), luckily I sold my GTX 1070 for £220 beginning of last year as I saw a 1080TI going for £360 on eBay, so £140 for a bit of an upgrade 😁 it's been a fantastic card & I'm staying with it until the market changes from Rip-off mode 👍

I do totally agree with you! Did the same last year, sold my MSI 1070 and bought a nice 1080 which I'm gonna cling to until it falls to pieces, unless prices come waaaayy down.

Did the d!cks at nvidia ported dlss to it?

Nah, anticonsumer companies dont do that, but it will have FSR, thanks to AMD!

This is more of a: "should you upgrade from a GTX 1070"?
Honestly, this whole "Covid-19" shortage though me (and many others around me) to appreciate the hardwaree I have, ane manage video settings in games. And trust me when I tell you, going from an RTX 2070 to GTX 1070 and then to GTX 1050 Ti (long story), I had no less fun in games. For the first 30 minutes you notices lower quality settings and then you forget about it. Plus when the time comes you will notice an upgrade from the aforementioned GPU, rather than forcing an upgrade for those 50-70% more fps. If you double or triple your framerates, that is an upgrade. Chill and play games for fun and not for the looks.

For 1080p gaming, the GTX 1070 is still not only very capable, but actually it remains a great card. If you own a GTX 1070 and don't play at higher resolutions there's no need to upgrade. (Maybe if GPU prices return to MSRP someday you could replace it for a similarly performing 3050Ti, for the smaller power draw and heat dissipation).

I definitely would still be happily using my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X if it hadn't died a sudden and spectacular death in smoke, sparks and flames just a week after the manufacturer's warranty expired (never overclocked, not heavily used). MSI video cards, never again. Might have been a blessing in disguise though, since this happened just a few weeks before GPU prices began skyrocketing last year and I replaced it with a Zotac RTX 2060 Super purchased at a sane price.

Was using my GTX1070 until a few months ago, but with the all new PC build it was gone. Got a great price selling it locally and now run a 2080 Super OC. I only do 1440p gaming and 1070 was going to struggle with the newer games that I had been putting off.

My other PC is still using a Zen1 1700X + 1080 Ti and I may replace them after RDNA3, RTX4000 and Zen 4 come out, based on prices and availability.

When I bought my G9 Odyssey last autumn I had planned to swap my 1070 for a 3080.

I'm still rocking my 1070...

A 980Ti/1070/2060 comparison review was done last year that shows the 980Ti and 1070 are mostly neck and neck. This comparison wasn't really needed, but interesting to look through.

Spending the around $500 on ebay for a 1070 or around $300 for a 980Ti is just stupid. If you have one and you aren't looking to max everything, even on 1080p and require 120+ fps, the cards are solid 1080p gaming cards, even 5+ years after they've been released.

I'd still be using my 980Ti if it wasn't having high, random fan spin ups on it. I needed to replace it before it mechanically failed, luckily I was able to snag up a 3060 for under $400 about a month back. Otherwise, the 980Ti card still ran everything I threw at it, but also with it 6 years old it's near it's EOL for driver support and the 1070 won't be far behind.

Folks, don't buy a 1070 or 980Ti unless you're absolutely that hard up for a card and can't get anything new.

Not sure where they found one at that price but the GeForce GTX 1070 is selling for right around $700 as a renewed item on Amazon & a few other sites ..... what's with that?
Umm, I haven't checked closely, but I'm quite sure the average ebay price is now around $400. I sold an extra EVGA 1070 for $460 ($445 net to me) but that was 3 months ago. Prices are easing now.

Nvidia probably won't make too many of those for DIY market while they're still selling all the higher margin GPUs as fast as they can produce them.

Back