Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 6GB Review: Quiet Release, Dodgy Name

"Whereas the original model, released two years ago, is based on the GA107 silicon, the new 6GB variant utilizes the smaller GA107 which is almost 30% smaller."

What?

Do you mean:

"Whereas the original model, released two years ago, is based on the GA106 silicon, the new 6GB variant utilizes the smaller GA107 which is almost 30% smaller."

The bean counters probably came up with this as the optimal mix for this power budget/product stack placement. I reckon it would be more compelling with a fully enabled core and 8GB, and perhaps a slight downclock to compensate, but eh.

I'm sure the resident AMD ferals will have no complaints about a 70 score. Right?

I have seen the video that decides the score setting. It is well reasoned as well. Still it gives a very bad impression when you think back to scoring on the competitors of yesteryear. What did the rx6600 and xt version get?

Just 70 looks a lot better and makes you question the evaluation. It "feels" like a much higher score than 60 for example...

Makes for a weird kind of place... 70 feels more like 5 out of 5 and so on.
Gives a lot of "feelings" ammunition for us red boys you know...

I can see use cases for a low profile version of this card but full size would normally require a full size case and there are options if space isn't limited (even with a low powered 300W OEM PSU). The name is truely bad though and not just the 3050 - a card this low powered shouldn't have the ray tracing implied RTX either. As a replacement for the 1030 and if it was called the 3030 it would probably be a fine entry level card - but to be considered a "50" card when we have had some damn fine "50" cards in the past is an insult to budget conscious gamers.

Reminds me of the 1050ti 4GB which, honestly, isn't a bad thing. Everyone hates these super low end graphics cards andnthing they're just ewaste, but AMD APUs aren't up to snuff just yet. They're usable, but they aren't really that good yet. I don't thing nVidia would have made this card if they were.

This card is a decent upgrade for an older i7 office machine which has a proprietary PSU and no easy way to upgrade it.

Even with an upgradeable PSU, a minimal 500W PSU and 6600 will cost you $240+. The same PSU and a used 5600 XT (faster than this 3060-6GB) is $170 but you're taking your chances with used and DLSS + mesh shaders could tip the balance to the 3050-6GB.

But it would be a much better product listed as a 3040 Ti at $150.

This abomination is only 2 % faster than the GTX1060.
GTFO Nvidia...

You probably meant 20% faster while using 42% less power, but that still isn't great:

relative-performance-1920-1080.png

This card only requires the power supplied by the PCI slot, no PSU power required. The 1060 did.

Apples to oranges.
Also 2016 vs 2024, 16nm vs 8nm, 125W vs 70W, 192bit vs 96bit and $250 vs $170.
I know there are a lot of differences but still...3.6% better in CS2

performance-matchup-gtx-1060.png

Maybe this is the new GTX750Ti slot powered Dell Optiplex friendly card.

Also 2016 vs 2024, 16nm vs 8nm, 125W vs 70W, 192bit vs 96bit and $250 vs $170.
I know there are a lot of differences but still...3.6% better in CS2

And 36% faster in AC:Mirage. Cherrypicking can go both ways.

performance-matchup-gtx-1060.png

Maybe this is the new GTX750Ti slot powered Dell Optiplex friendly card.

There's no 'maybe', slot power is the entire reason this card exists.

750, 750Ti
1050, 1050 Ti
1650, 1650 D6
3050 6GB

And there will likely be a slot power 4060 6GB or similar 2 years hence.

And 36% faster in AC:Mirage. Cherrypicking can go both ways.

There's no 'maybe', slot power is the entire reason this card exists.

750, 750Ti
1050, 1050 Ti
1650, 1650 D6
3050 6GB

And there will likely be a slot power 4060 6GB or similar 2 years hence.
Like 34.2 to 46.7 fps make any difference.

assassins-creed-mirage-1920-1080.png

And 10.8 to 24.6

alan-wake-2-1920-1080.png

Still not playable. If a game loads and run under 60 fps it's a big NO for me.

Who gets this card is for e-sports titles like CS, media center and other low power systems.
And for $170-200 you get better value from used market. RTX2070 Super or RTX3060.

Like 34.2 to 46.7 fps make any difference.

assassins-creed-mirage-1920-1080.png

And 10.8 to 24.6

alan-wake-2-1920-1080.png

Still not playable. If a game loads and run under 60 fps it's a big NO for me.

Who gets this card is for e-sports titles like CS, media center and other low power systems.
And for $170-200 you get better value from used market. RTX2070 Super or RTX3060.

You're missing the point more and more.

Those are at Ultra settings, games have lower settings available than Ultra. If you need to play at Ultra settings, then buy a more expensive card like one that runs from PSU power instead of slot power only. Slot power is the point of this card, one you put in an old Optiplex and play lots of games on.

Yeah, you're probably going to avoid taxing 2022-2024 games because buying a few $60-70 games for a $180 card in a free/cheap chassis is not what sane people do. Think of the entire use case here, not just that it gets ### FPS in a brand new game at Ultra.

It turns out that tons of great games from 2021 and earlier are still available to play, they haven't disappeared and are now available for ~$20 which makes sense for this card and the system it's going in to.

Used 2070S or 3060 are great but don't fit in a PC with a proprietary PSU or you'll be adding another $50+ if you can swap the PSU out.

WTF with The A580 power usage ?

The power consumption of Intel's Arc series graphics cards is terrible throughout the line. It's not the fault of Intel's process technology, unlike their CPUs; it's built on TSMC's N6 process node. Now that Intel has made massive improvements to the drivers, Arc is competitive on performance if you have a modern computer (it still takes a big hit on systems without Resizable BAR support), but lags badly on power consumption.

Intel's Battlemage series, coming later this year or early next year, will have performance and power gains because it's being made on TSMC's N4. Hopefully Intel will also make progress on the design issues leading to high power consumption of their graphics cards; it would be good to have a third serious player in the business.

Last edited:
Although Techspot tested a full height card, there are also low profile versions. All the ones I have seen are two slot cards, so they won't fit in some really small cases. (At 70W it should be possible to build a single slot card, but to date nobody seems to be offering one.) That aside, the RTX 3050 6GB should be a good card for small form factor systems and HTPCs, as most of those have no simple option for a power supply upgrade.

The GPU can drive four outputs, making it more desirable than the Radeon 6400 and 6500 series cards that can only handle two, and it has hardware video encoding if you're looking to stream. Some brands are only putting three outputs on their cards; if you're buying one to drive a video wall you'll want to avoid those. For example, the low profile card from MSI has two HDMI and one DisplayPort; Gigabyte's card has two of each.

I wanted to comment how does this stack up against the GTX1060 or the 1660 Super/Ti since most folks would be looking to swap those out with a 'RT' model. And it's marginally faster than those cards. Thanks to the comments section for sharing that information.

Techspot, Can we also look at a comparison of what GPUs would a new GPU replace and performance vs that?

I wanted to comment how does this stack up against the GTX1060 or the 1660 Super/Ti since most folks would be looking to swap those out with a 'RT' model. And it's marginally faster than those cards. Thanks to the comments section for sharing that information.

Techspot, Can we also look at a comparison of what GPUs would a new GPU replace and performance vs that?

The regular 3050 8GB is about the same speed as the 1660 S/Ti so this 3050 6GB should be about 20% slower, though it's 20% faster than the 1060. There was a pretty big jump in performance from the 1060 to the 1660 S/Ti, especially for DX12 games.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the naming? But I am a fan of the 70W power limit.

I had a GTX650 in my Sandy Bridge system; the computer blew caps, I got a low-cost Ivy Bridge ($40! with no RAM or HDD, but I could move everything over from the Sandy Bridge system). Went to move everything over only to find the thing had NO extra power connectors!!! I went to look for a GPU that did not require extra power, and (ARC was not out yet) the ONLY GPUs I could find were the GTX1650 (only in some variants, it's underclocked about 5%, the "regular" GTX1650 uses about 85W) and like ancient Geforce4-era cards that places still had for sale for $20 or whatever. I now have a Coffee Lake system I got at a good price, but again found it had no PCIe power connectors (which is surprising because it's a workstation...), so having the 1650 to move over into it was convenient.

So, the RTX 3050 6GB would be a nice upgrade for a system like this! My GTX1650 (4GB) is still serving me fine, but it's good to know for a system like this instead of the choice a year or two ago of "GTX1650, but make sure you get the right variant", you now have a choice of GTX1650, RTX 3050 6GB, or Arc 380.

"For instance, those who have picked up a cheap Dell Optiplex or similar OEM system, will find the 6GB 3050 revolutionary."

The problem is all the low profiles cards thus far are double slot. If you look at the popular Dell Optiplex SFF range from the past 6 years the 16x PCI-E port is the bottom one next to the PSU. Which doesn't allow you to install it... If someone releases a single slot version then it will be a good cheap option for ex-lease Fortnite style builds or Plex boxes... I was very interested to convert some Lab PC's at work in basic 3D gaming boxes but can't quite yet.

Not a fan of the naming? But I am a fan of the 70W power limit.

So, the RTX 3050 6GB would be a nice upgrade for a system like this! My GTX1650 (4GB) is still serving me fine, but it's good to know for a system like this instead of the choice a year or two ago of "GTX1650, but make sure you get the right variant", you now have a choice of GTX1650, RTX 3050 6GB, or Arc 380.

Also RX 6400 with HH SS form factors available for ultra small cases/spaces. But lacking video encoders for those who need them.

Back