Ribbon Cable Connectors & Circuit Boards

Hello!

I hope this is the right place to ask; if not, please direct me to the appropriate forum section.
For a little bit of context, I'm an artist and have recently stumbled upon some issues with my tablet. I opened it up to look and, sure enough, one of the ribbon cables is no longer connected to the circuit board. Problem is the connector itself is completely detached and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, assuming I can at all. I've done a few hours of research, but all it tries to tell me is how to place the cable in the connector, not how to attach the connector to the circuit board itself.

Can I use Kapton tape, specific glue, or is this only solved via soldering?
I'll leave images below, where you can see where it was previously attached, what the connector looks like, and its counterpart which is intact. The damaged connector looks pretty different in comparison, but I'm not knowledgeable in tech hardware at all so don't know what to make of it.

InkedIMG_0393_LI.jpg IMG_0401.JPG IMG_0398.JPG IMG_0389.JPG

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who gives this a look and can provide some insight! I'm aware this isn't exactly a computer problem, but I figured this is my best shot at a proper lead. Any help is tremendously appreciated.

Unfortunately the camera isn't focused on the correct area in the first picture, so it's too hard to tell whether or not there are any connections remaining in the circuit board. However, it does look like it was originally just glued on, and this would explain why it's simply detached (as soldering hardly ever just does this). If so, and there are clear connection pads on the board for it to sit on, it may well be possible to clean the board and the connector (using rubbing alcohol or similar), putting it back in place, then using Klapton tape to hold it down.

Unfortunately the camera isn't focused on the correct area in the first picture, so it's too hard to tell whether or not there are any connections remaining in the circuit board. However, it does look like it was originally just glued on, and this would explain why it's simply detached (as soldering hardly ever just does this). If so, and there are clear connection pads on the board for it to sit on, it may well be possible to clean the board and the connector (using rubbing alcohol or similar), putting it back in place, then using Klapton tape to hold it down.

You're right, it's unfortunately not the best image to work with. Your analysis makes a lot of sense though! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I'll see about gathering the necessary materials and will do a status update further on.

Last edited:
Update 02/02/2021: I used Kapton tape in an attempt at a reconnection, but was unable to resolve the issue. Based on @neeyik's assessment, I'm led to believe this is because the connections themselves are damaged. Sadly my country is currently in confinement so I can't pop over to a tech shop and confirm these suspicions, but either way I've learned a little more and am thankful for the help!

( If anyone knows whether or not I can edit my original post to reflect these developments, I'd appreciate it. )

Back