Right hand side of Start menu black

Jazsy

Hello, I have a PC desktop HP Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor, 37000+1.GB of RAM, Windows XP Version 2002, Service Pack 3.
A week ago the start menu under start menu on the right hand side went completely black!! When I switch it to Classic Start Menu and go to Programs the list is there; icons visible, but the description is missing. Only way to know what the program is is I scroll my mouse over each individual icon.
In tried a system restore but that did not make a difference.
Is it to do with my graphics card??

Try this post for some suggestions https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/start-menu-all-program-not-showing-empty.50959/ OK, it's a 2006 post, but your OS dates from before that ! :)

It is worth finding where icon size is defined, and changing it (then change back). This forces a rebuild of the icon cache.

Unfortunately, other reasons for this behaviour can be a malware infection. https://www.techspot.com/community/forums/virus-and-malware-removal.28/ In that case you can be in a world of pain, but our malware help people are very good - it helps a lot if you are fairly expert though !

There are several very active rootkits now that can cause programs, icons, file, etc. to appear to be missing. You can run the following, but please note the disclaimer:

1. Download Unhide.exe and save to the desktop.
  • Double-click on Unhide.exe icon to run the program.
  • This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives.
Note: This does not remove the malware- only the attribute that hides icons and programs. It is important that you continue.
---------------------------------------
Additionally, Some items may not show on the Start menu. To add them back:
  • Right click on Start> Properties
  • Taskbar and Start Menu Properties screen appears
  • choose Start Menu tab> Click on Customize
  • For Windows XP> Choose Advanced tab
  • Check the items you want back on the Start Menu
  • When finished> click on OK> Apply and close.
--------------------------------------
Please note: If the problems have been caused by malware, the above are only 'cosmetic' help. I recommend that move to the Virus and Malware forum as suggested, start a thread there with the logs you get after running the scans

Back