Roccat Sova Review: Couch gaming done right

Steve

Staff member

PC gaming in the living room, from the comfort of a couch, and on a big screen has so far been dominated by the game controller. While this works for some games, the experience suffers greatly in others. For instance, a controller is not exactly ideal for first-person shooters, and is completely useless for real-time strategy games.

Recently, Corsair and Razer have both tried their hand at solving this issue with two very different products, and while we enjoyed testing them we ultimately found them to be either to large and pricey or too small for prolonged use.

At the end of each review, we mentioned Roccat’s upcoming Sova, which was announced way back in 2014! The Sova looked like a more promising couch gamer, addressing most of our gripes with Corsair and Razer's solutions in what appeared to be the right size.

Finally, we now have the Sova on hand, so is it everything we thought it would be?

Read the complete review.

It looks favourable. I always prefer soft, quiet membrane keyboards to noisy,clicky mechanical ones.

But there is one thing I don't like about this keyboard. Numeric keypad is very important to me. The additional keys are very helpful in flight sims, and other games, including older games. Sadly this keyboard doesn't have it.

It looks favourable. I always prefer soft, quiet membrane keyboards to noisy,clicky mechanical ones.

But there is one thing I don't like about this keyboard. Numeric keypad is very important to me. The additional keys are very helpful in flight sims, and other games, including older games. Sadly this keyboard doesn't have it.

Problem has already been solved by serfpad.

Why is it that these blogs only post for the Multinational chinese made brands? Roccat, Corsair, Razer (blah blah blah) are by far NOT the only option, and the problem has already been solved years ago by Gamers and HTPC people alike.... Take a bookshelf and make your own custom lap desk for $50 or buy the "SERFPAD TV TRAY" - an all American made company that has the best solution if you do not make your own.... Still, please, someone tell me why these blogs think that chinese companies are the only ones in existence?????? Anyone? Do Gamers simply hate America, or are the bloggers all bought and paid for by the Multinational 1%ers?

If you made this 4 inches wider by adding a numeric pad, it wouldn't fit between the arms of your chair.

Why is it that these blogs only post for the Multinational chinese made brands? Roccat, Corsair, Razer (blah blah blah) are by far NOT the only option, and the problem has already been solved years ago by Gamers and HTPC people alike.... Take a bookshelf and make your own custom lap desk for $50 or buy the "SERFPAD TV TRAY" - an all American made company that has the best solution if you do not make your own.... Still, please, someone tell me why these blogs think that chinese companies are the only ones in existence?????? Anyone? Do Gamers simply hate America, or are the bloggers all bought and paid for by the Multinational 1%ers?

I've made my own before but this looks a lot nicer... wife acceptance factor and all that. Plus the built in mouse port is a nice convenience feature.

I've made my own before but this looks a lot nicer... wife acceptance factor and all that. Plus the built in mouse port is a nice convenience feature.

Look a lot nicer is a matter of opinion. I'd think it would look alot nicer if it was wireless. If your wife is going to nag on you for something not living up to her visual standards because you want to go DIY on something you are using you're going to be screwed.

Back