Rock Pi 4C mini PC with dual displays support launches this month for $75

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Bottom line: Mini PCs aren't for everybody, but for those who are into them, Radxa has a new version of the Rock Pi coming this month for only $75. It is more of the same from previous versions, but this one has support for dual monitors.

Radxa unveiled a new single-board computer called Rock Pi 4C at the XDC2019 conference on Thursday. The previous iteration, Rock Pi 4, is a tiny Android-powered (or Debian) unit equipped with a Rockchip RK3399 processor, which supports displays of up to 4K at a 60Hz refresh rate.

The Rock Pi 4C is similar in its design, but has two display ports instead of just one, LinuxGizmos notes. Its cousin only had one HDMI 2.0 port, The 4C has a micro HDMI port and a mini DisplayPort, allowing users a dual-monitor setup. However, keep in mind that while micro HDMI supports resolutions up to 3840 x 2160, the mini-DP can only handle monitors up to 2560 x 1440.

For the size, the Rock Pi 4C packs a pretty decent punch. In addition to the dual-display support, the board features the Rockchip 64bit hexa-core ARM-based processor, as previously mentioned, support for 512MB to 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, and support for eMMC modules. For a storage solution, the Rock Pi 4C uses a microSD card reader. It also comes equipped with an M.2 connector for NVMe SSDs.

While neither Rock Pi nor Radxa have updated their sites with the new board, Radxa CEO Tom Cubie said that the mini PC launches later this month for $75.

Permalink to story.

I actually wish there was a device that would allow you to plug in HDMI to some type of wireless transmitter and connect to it with your phone to see the screen on your phone. So basically you could carry around a little dongle with your smart phone, and technically be carrying around a screen with you.

I actually wish there was a device that would allow you to plug in HDMI to some type of wireless transmitter and connect to it with your phone to see the screen on your phone. So basically you could carry around a little dongle with your smart phone, and technically be carrying around a screen with you.
future is now :)

AirPlay works great for Apple phones. Used to be you had to have Apple TV for it to work, but some newer TVs are AirPlay compatible. I just got an M-series Visio and it works flawlessly. I believe my son uses Chromecast for his Android phone.

AirPlay works great for Apple phones. Used to be you had to have Apple TV for it to work, but some newer TVs are AirPlay compatible. I just got an M-series Visio and it works flawlessly. I believe my son uses Chromecast for his Android phone.

Those things typically already have screens though don't they?

I'm talking maybe from a technicians point of view... you go somewhere to work on a PC. Well, find out near the end of wasting all the time that the monitor wasnt working the whole time. Could have just plugged said dongle in to test the video output.

maybe another example... DVRs in back rooms of business that don't always have a monitor attached could use the dongle and phone.

Why doesnt this product already exist? Maybe I should patent it.. hmmm lol

The world doesnt allow for easy access and use, likes to make things difficult and chargable in services, tech or patents. But surely just remote desktop to pc an easier option?

If I hadn't already built a PC for the purpose this would work great as my living room streaming device. I have the PC hooked up to a Dell touch screen monitor and 4K Sony HDTV as well as my sound system (Toslink). I can then stream any source I choose, like Netflix, Amazon, Crave, Spotify, Deezer to whatever device I choose. Well extremely versatile it is large and cumbersome, but then again I can also use it for VR and gaming which this device would falter on.

I bought a Raspberry Pi for $35 to play with. It really worked great and I had a great time with it.

But I still use my laptop with win7 as my main work machine.
But I do see a future in the Pi devices as easy to carry computers for surfing and email plus light work.

Back