Rockstar confirms release date for Red Dead Redemption 2

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Rockstar has delayed the release of Red Dead Redemption 2 yet again. This time, the delay comes with an officially announced and solidified launch date. Unfortunately, it’s not just a push into the summer season as we will now have to wait until October 26 to get our hands on the game.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of those rare titles that was being anxiously anticipated before it was even announced. When Rockstar did finally hint that the game was in production, fans were eager for more news. Rockstar is the master of the tease and only slipped us a few screenshots before ever releasing a trailer.

Rockstar is also the master of the delay and could just be trolling fans to generate hype. Let's look at the timeline.

The game was originally due out in fall 2017 but got pushed back to spring 2018. At that time, they said, “Extra time is necessary to ensure that we can deliver the best experience possible for our fans.”

Then, just days after Christmas 2017, Danish retailer Coolshop posted a product page with a solid release date of June 8, 2018, which is debatably still in the spring season, but to me, school is out, so that’s a summer release.

That date could have been a placeholder except the site quickly removed the page once the news got out. If it was just a placeholder, why remove it? Placeholders are used all the time. In my opinion, this was a delay from spring to summer. Or at the very least, it was a leak of the actual launch date.

We are now looking toward a mid-fall launch. Rockstar apologized for the delay, again citing that it needs more time for “polish.”

“While we had hoped to have the game out sooner, we require a little extra time for polish,” the developer says. “We sincerely thank you for your patience and hope that when you get to play the game, you will agree the wait will have been worth it.”

As is customary with Rockstar delay apologies, they tossed us some new screenshots which look pretty incredible.

So, a full year and three delays (some would say two) after the official announcement, we will finally see a finished Red Dead Redemption 2. It sounds a bit like another Rockstar release as I recall (GTA V).

All I can say is that when October 26 rolls around, RDR2 better be so polished, I can see my reflection in it.

Permalink to story.

WHy do people get upset about delays, who cares, get it right rather than releasing half-finished crap. There are billion games to keep you going. Also why sort of ***** races out and buys news releases given the pitiful track record of many of the game companies. Even if released tomorrow I wouldn't touch it for 12 months, until they've patched the **** out it.

Hopefully it gets released on PC. I don't mind waiting a year or 2 like they did with GTA5.
It is. Last I had it was coming to all platforms not just consoles.
They haven't officially said there is a PC version, they have only confirmed Xbox and PlayStation releases.
After the announcements in the Techspot article they do go on to say they "look forward to sharing a lot more information with you in the coming weeks." So hopefully we'll get concrete info on a PC version.

As far as a PC version goes, I wouldn't get your hopes up for it to release anytime soon - certainly not alongside consoles - nor would I expect any info on it for at least a few months. My guess is October 2020, a full year after the game's console release.

I'm fine with it. It's essentially a timed exclusive, and I just can't deal with console controllers (Nothing against them otherwise) so I'll hold off on buying it for the foreseeable future.

WHy do people get upset about delays, who cares, get it right rather than releasing half-finished crap. There are billion games to keep you going. Also why sort of ***** races out and buys news releases given the pitiful track record of many of the game companies. Even if released tomorrow I wouldn't touch it for 12 months, until they've patched the **** out it.

It's kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. I rather wait for a polished game.

During E3 I believe it was said there is a pc version. Thats was ive always known. Untill I hear rockstar say there isnt one which ive never heard. ive also never heard them say consoles only.

During E3 I believe it was said there is a pc version. Thats was ive always known. Untill I hear rockstar say there isnt one which ive never heard. ive also never heard them say consoles only.
Don't worry I can help you with finding the answer! :p

I CBA to Google everything for you but multiple sites (Amazon, Game & Gamestop for example) do not have it listed for Pre-Order on PC, only Xbox One and PS4 and Rockstar have never said it is on PC.

Most likely though, they'll release it to PC a year later or so. Reason for this theory is the fact the Denuvo database was temporarily accessible to the public.

During this brief window of opportunity, eagle-eyed fans (via RD2) spotted that Rockstar would be using the service in the future.

Still very strange you thought they said something at E3 about a PC version though? When they actually did the complete opposite and only announced the game on Xbox One and PS4?

Back