Rockstar's PC games are still inaccessible 17 hours after launcher goes down, GTA Trilogy...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition arrived yesterday in the midst of massive anticipation from fans of the series. Sadly, the release has been far from smooth. Not only has Rockstar’s games launcher been offline for more than 17 hours, but the PC version has been removed from sale.

The GTA Trilogy arrived on November 11, but just a few hours after the remaster landed, Rockstar tweeted that its Games Launcher was down for maintenance, meaning those who bought the PC version have been left unable to play it.

At the time of writing, the Rockstar Games Launcher is still offline, around 17 hours after the firm's initial tweet. It appears that the issues have prompted Rockstar to remove the PC version of the trilogy from the company’s store. Interestingly, VGC reports that data miners have since discovered the PC version of the GTA Trilogy reportedly contains all the music that’s no longer licensed, as well as uncompiled code with developer comments.

The launcher’s issues mean other Rockstar games are also unplayable on PC, including Red Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto V, and their online elements.

Given the enormous number of people who play Rockstar’s games and the amount of money the company will be losing every minute these titles are inaccessible, we can expect the launcher to come back online soon enough. The latest tweet it posted, which was three hours ago, read: “We thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to work on restoring services for the Rockstar Games Launcher and supported titles.”

Permalink to story.

Problems with the launcher was why I deleted GTA V from my PC after getting it free (legally in a giveaway - I support developers). Still never played it.

There are more games than I have time to play. BS has no place in my life.

I reckon they ****ed the licensing, hence swiftly pulled it from sale.. easiest way was probably just to pull the entire network, until they can sort it.

Some devs probably ****ed up big time, but we've seen that before from ol Rockstar

I reckon they ****ed the licensing, hence swiftly pulled it from sale.. easiest way was probably just to pull the entire network, until they can sort it.

Some devs probably ****ed up big time, but we've seen that before from ol Rockstar

The funny thing is that I recall some weeks back how a lot of the work they were doing was probably just removing the expired licensed music because they've been down this road before, actually many times before, but nope I was totally wrong they don't care even that little: This confirms for everybody that has never been an active GTA Online player should know: Rockstar is into making all of the money and spending absolutely NONE OF IT on actually coding or improving their stuff after initial development is done. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire team behind this ports was just 5 to 10 guys hired by a temp agency with contracts that expire literally a few days before the game launches and now they might have maybe 1 or 2 guys in charge of pushing quick fixes but this one well, it's a bit bigger than what such small crews can pull off timely so just take the entire thing offline.

Seems like good old Rockstar to me.

Yeah, they should have completed all this "maintenance" before launching the new package .... the Operations Manager is wearing a nice coat of mud after this one!

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire team behind this ports was just 5 to 10 guys hired by a temp agency with contracts that expire literally a few days before the game launches and now they might have maybe 1 or 2 guys in charge of pushing quick fixes but this one well, it's a bit bigger than what such small crews can pull off timely so just take the entire thing offline.

Seems like good old Rockstar to me.

I saw a picture of the Grove Street Games staff, if everyone was there, it's less than 20 people.

But if they're competent and have proper deadlines, that's more than enough people to take care of a remaster.

I saw a picture of the Grove Street Games staff, if everyone was there, it's less than 20 people.

But if they're competent and have proper deadlines, that's more than enough people to take care of a remaster.
Devs are competent, Rockstar isn't and it shows: you can have the best coders in the world like, clone Carmack 20 times and have em revolutionize your game forever and this would have still happened because coders and devs are not lawyers and shouldn't be in charge of checking the licensing of assets that are notoriously litigious like popular music.

So I agree that it would be enough but I doubt Rockstar had a single lawyer or licensing professional even take a look at their music library before releasing the game it's just 100% mismanagement.

That being said even if it was exactly 20 people it would be enough to take care of, like you said, A remaster as in 1, not 3 of them simultaneously.

My first experience playing GTA was on the PSP (I think it was Vice City Stories?) so I've never played these games originally; they were before my time. I later played San Andreas on mobile phone but it had some issues. I was hoping they wouldn't mess up this release but they did.
Rockstar is turning into Bethesda and Ubisoft when it comes to messed up game releases.

Hopefully the GTA 6 release will be a lot better.

Literally the only reason I am not buying it is because they refuse to put the content that was there originally. I want the full experience of what I played back in the day with the added bonuses of GFX update and controls. But they screwed the pooch and decided they didn't want to waste their money on updating their music licenses. So I decided I won't be wasting my money on buying a game I already bought years ago.

If they wanted to change the content, they should of remade it. Not remastered it.

Back