RTX 3080 spotted in database: 10GB of GDDR6X, 2.1GHz maximum clock speed

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We’re just two weeks away from Nvidia’s Ampere GPU launch event, which means leaks and rumors about the RTX 30xx cards are arriving thick and fast. Following on from Micron’s premature listing of the RTX 3090, what appears to be the RTX 3080 has appeared in an online database, revealing some of the high-end card’s specs.

The listing, discovered by Twitter user @_rogame, reveals a 10GB (GDDR6X) graphics card clocked at 4,750MHz, giving it a memory speed of 19Gbps. It also lists the maximum clock speed as 2.1GHz. The details match a previous leak from @kopite7kimi, who wrote that the RTX 3080 would have a bandwidth of 760Gbps. The RTX 2080 Ti, for comparison, has a 14Gbs memory speed, a boost clock of 1,635MHz, and a total bandwidth of 616Gbps.

According to Videocardz, the maximum core clock speed will be lower than the listed 2.1 GHz; instead, it will be just under 1.7 GHz, making it closer to Turing GPUs. The publication also notes how the database entry lists the device ID as 2206. According to the maintainer of the TechPowerUP GPU database, T4CFantasy, this belongs to the RTX 3080. We’ve also heard that the card will be around 35 percent faster than the RTX 2080 Ti.

In Micron’s listing of the RTX 3090, it revealed the card as having 12GB of GDDR6X, 19-21 Gb/s/pin, 76-84 GB/s/placement, 912-1008 GB/s/system and a total frame buffer of 12 GB.

The RTX 3080 rumors should be taken with a pinch of salt, of course, but the similarity between all the leaks suggest they won’t be too far off the mark. We’ll find out for certain in a couple weeks.

Permalink to story.

I'll reserve judgement for the real life benchmarks done on games when it's released. So far, so good. I only expect it to outperform the 2080 Super and hopefully cost the same or not very much more (initially). Let's see the 3080Ti and 3090!

So basically clock speed is potentially not going up by much (if at all since Videocardz say that Turing has about the same limit).

On the other hand, we do get a lot more cores / EU, so clock speed staying the same does not matter much. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Either way, launch is not too far away and I am pretty excited to see what the next gen GPU will bring.

I want to upgrade my 1070, but I'm not sure there 3070/3080 pricing will make me want to jump ship.. Really painful to watch what there doing.

I'll reserve judgement for the real life benchmarks done on games when it's released. So far, so good. I only expect it to outperform the 2080 Super and hopefully cost the same or not very much more (initially). Let's see the 3080Ti and 3090!
If they are doing the 3090 I dont see them doing a 3080 Ti

10GB won't cut it for long in 4K, at this prices it should be no less than 12GB
10 GB = 10 memory controllers. The only way to have more memory is either going with 20 GB, which isn't going to happen on general consumer cards for a while, or the GPU has more controllers, and that would be a different model.

Besides, 4K is ROP/ALU-bound, not VRAM limited.

I'm puzzled at all this. Would I want this if I had a monitor the size of a wall - would I really see a difference in 4k vs lesser resolutions? Perhaps. Does it give us a spectacular result in ray tracing or allow a clean stream free of any stutter at higher than perceptible fps? That might be nice.

I have an idea that the 'ultra/ultra' board is more about bragging rights, stirring attention in the market and setting the high water mark so that prices for lesser boards can be pulled up - still appearing as 'bargains'.

I will be quite happy with a 6GB DDR6 capable of 60 fps in 1k ultra - like the GTX 1660 Super. Wonder what Intel and AMD will cook up next.

What app do you regularly run that would tax the $270 board above? Or are you like me - running FC5 on a 1050 Ti 4GB DDR5?

Really ? :confused:
I'm not playing at 4K, but I never saw any game asking for more than 8 Gb of VRAM in the requirements ...

Yes really, I've been gaming in 4K for almost 2 years and 10GB won't be too little but if you buy a GPU to last 2 - 3 years it might start limiting the card at some point plus considering the card will cost like $799+ 10GB it's a bit of a joke, even if I was to never use more than 10GB a card at this price should have more of it, I mean RX470 had a 8GB variant 4 years ago and it cost $200........

Yes really, I've been gaming in 4K for almost 2 years and 10GB won't be too little but if you buy a GPU to last 2 - 3 years it might start limiting the card at some point plus considering the card will cost like $799+ 10GB it's a bit of a joke, even if I was to never use more than 10GB a card at this price should have more of it, I mean RX470 had a 8GB variant 4 years ago and it cost $200........
Makes me wonder if the joke is on us.

It will beat 2080Ti by at least 15%

Good chance there wont be a 3080Ti at launch if they're going with the 3090 branding.

Back