Rumor: Intel is working on 10-core Broadwell-E CPU

Scorpus

Staff member

If you're after an Intel CPU with a ton of processing cores, the upcoming line-up of Broadwell-E enthusiast parts may be exactly what you're looking for, if the latest rumors turn out to be true.

According to documents obtained by Chinese site Xfastest, Intel will be releasing a 10-core, 20-thread processor at the top of their Broadwell-E line-up. The part, known as the Core i7-6950X, is expected to replace the existing 8-core, 16-thread Haswell-E Core i7-5960X as the fastest consumer CPU available.

The Broadwell-E line-up will also reportedly include the Core i7-6900K as an eight-core, 16-thread part, as well as two six-core, 12-thread parts: the Core i7-6800K and the Core i7-6850K. Alleged clock speeds range from 3.00 GHz (on the 6950X) to 3.60 GHz (on the 6850K), with the six-core parts running faster than the others as expected.

The documents suggest Broadwell-E will continue to use Intel's LGA2011-v3 socket, although it's not known what chipset will support the new CPUs. Intel's current X99 platform has most of the features a modern platform should have, including DDR4 support and tons of PCIe and SATA ports, but Intel could decide to release a new platform if they so choose.

Intel isn't ready to talk about Broadwell-E officially just yet, so it'll still be a while before we hear whether the information from Xfastest is true. Expect to see more information on the upcoming enthusiast platform in early 2016.

Permalink to story.

"The documents suggest Broadwell-E will continue to use Intel's LGA2011-v3 socket, although it's not known what chipset will support the new CPUs. Intel's current X99 platform has most of the features a modern platform should have, including DDR4 support and tons of PCIe and SATA ports, but Intel could decide to release a new platform if they so choose."

X99 is a little over a year old, by the time this comes to light, Q2 2016?, It'll be getting close to the 2 year mark, with Intel's current track record it would be a safe bet that a new chipset is going to be launched along side. USB 3.1 could be added that's not part of X99, call it X190, upgrade to DMI 3.0, really wouldn't be surprised by that.

It's always going to get better but I'm interested to see if AMD can respond with anything from their upcoming Zen thingamabob.
I wish they were at war with each other again, it made things very good for us consumers. Surely AMD has finished licking their wounds by now and are busy regrouping in order to stage a terrific comeback... OK maybe 'terrific' is a bit optimistic but a meaningful comeback nonetheless.

If Intel listened to x79 outcries after an ivy-e launch, we could get two options. 1. They upgrade the chipset and still make x99 compatible with new cpus, 2. They do the same as with 8 series for desktop, as the h87 and other models in the range don't support broadwell.

Oh my, that sounds tasty! It's really too bad that I couldn't ever afford one of the I-series that interested me. 20 cores would make rendering stuff a breeze!

It's always going to get better but I'm interested to see if AMD can respond with anything from their upcoming Zen thingamabob.
I wish they were at war with each other again, it made things very good for us consumers. Surely AMD has finished licking their wounds by now and are busy regrouping in order to stage a terrific comeback... OK maybe 'terrific' is a bit optimistic but a meaningful comeback nonetheless.
Reports are saying 40% increase for Zen cpu's. Over what, I don't know.

Reports are saying 40% increase for Zen cpu's. Over what, I don't know.
Over Excavator. Since Excavator (Carrizo) is basically a non-event - no desktop, low clocks and power constraints in the few laptops using it, estimates require a high degree of assumption with regards to Zen's ultimate capability based off a single 40% IPC gain figure.
X99 is a little over a year old, by the time this comes to light, Q2 2016?, It'll be getting close to the 2 year mark, with Intel's current track record it would be a safe bet that a new chipset is going to be launched along side. USB 3.1 could be added that's not part of X99, call it X190, upgrade to DMI 3.0, really wouldn't be surprised by that.
I think you'll find that Intel has all but confirmed X99 for Broadwell-E. BIOS update to enable a wider range of options for mobo vendors and backward compatibility. My guess is that most springing for a new $999 10-core HEDT CPU, will in all likelihood also opt for a second revision X99 board when vendors add native U.2 support, USB3.1, and the rest of the marketing bullet points and new colour schemes that consumers flock to.
intel_broadwell_e_overview-400x247.jpg

Last edited:
I know I would, if my top budget wasn't 300 for a CPU.
Bear in mind that while Intel's top part is almost always priced at $1K ( i7-965XE/975XE, -980X/990X, -3960X/-3970X, -4960X, 5960X), their entry level HEDT has usually been priced ~$300 (Haswell-E being the exception due in large part because of die size; 356mm² compared with the preceding Ivy Bridge-E's 287mm² on the same 22nm process). I wouldn't be surprised to see the entry level HEDT part priced more in line with previous series even though the core count could rise from 4 to 6.
i7-920 ($284), i7-930 ($284), i7-3820 ($294), i7-4820K ($310), i7-5820K ($389).

I was under the impression it was 40% increase over their own current lineup. A core for core and clock for clock comparison.

I was under the impression it was 40% increase over their own current lineup. A core for core and clock for clock comparison.
I think so as well but I was just being uncharacteristically cynical. ;) That new Zen of theirs will probablystill be no match for Intel's i5's & i7's but at least lets hope they'll have closed the gap a bit.

I think so as well but I was just being uncharacteristically cynical. ;) That new Zen of theirs will probablystill be no match for Intel's i5's & i7's but at least lets hope they'll have closed the gap a bit.
Given AMD's somewhat overoptimistic predictions in the past, I don't think many people will be pre-ordering their Zen system before some legitimate third party analysis is publicly disseminated. The 40% IPC increase prediction was over Excavator...
AMD_Zen_IPC-pcgh.png

...but bearing in mind processor clock speed overhead has been falling as transistor density (and thus localized heat dissipation and the criticality of current leakage) increases, it might not be a given that Zen sees wholesale performance gains if it cannot reach the speeds of its faster predecessors - although AMD's current CMT design does allow for significant IPC increases simply by moving to SMT and a better organized cache design.

I did try for a rough estimate of what Zen could be (IPC-wise) in relation to the 40% IPC gain claim, but I do have my doubt that an 8-core 14nm product has the ability to sustain 4GHz to the satisfaction of the manufacturer. If it does, I am betting its turbo mode (and overclock ability) will be minimal to say the least.

Last edited:

AMD has nothing I am interested in. They have been a HUGE disappointment for me, performance and otherwise. I don't really care if they go out of business.

AMD has nothing I am interested in. They have been a HUGE disappointment for me, performance and otherwise. I don't really care if they go out of business.

You don't care if Intel and Nvidia raise prices because there is no competition?

Back