Rumor: Nvidia might delay the RTX 4000 launch until December

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Is Nvidia preparing to delay the RTX 4000 series to December? While it's only a rumor, the oversupply of current-gen cards coupled with frugal consumer spending as the cost of living rises does suggest AMD might beat its rival to market by a month or two.

According to YouTube channel Moore's Law is Dead, which cites industry sources, Nvidia is considering delaying the launch of the RTX 4000 (Ada Lovelace) cards until November or even December. While most rumors from anonymous industry sources should be taken with a heavy dose of salt, there have been signs that a postponement could be on the cards.

The first indication came last month when we heard Nvidia could kill off the RTX 3080 12GB GPU. The move is believed to be due to an excess of unsold RTX 3080 10GB cards, which, thanks to falling prices, now cost the same as the slightly more powerful 12GB variant; a price parity that has left consumers opting for the latter card. Nvidia wants to shift the remaining RTX 3080 10GB GPUs before Lovelace arrives, and the best way to do that is by killing off the 12GB variant, of which there are fewer units.

Furthermore, a recent report from Asia claimed that Nvidia is facing lower demand for the RTX 4000 series in light of more restrained consumer spending, the result of rising inflation and fuel prices pushing up the cost of living. The company has returned to TSMC from Samsung for its next-gen consumer cards, but it now wants to delay those 5nm orders.

Another factor is the crashing crypto market flooding eBay with cheap former mining cards. Lovelace is expected to carry a hefty premium, and price-conscious consumers may prefer to save a few hundred dollars by opting for a used Ampere card.

If Nvidia really does wait until December to launch Lovelace, it would mean AMD's Radeon RX 7000-series cards arriving first, possibly sometime between October and November.

Permalink to story.

If Lovelace is another mining beast like Ampere it may be lower demand from a specific type of ‚consumer‘ that‘s the issue.

Makes little sense to delay. The majority of consumers have already caught on to this game so they are only delaying sales and profits .....

Lol..even when miners aren't mining, they're still screwing things up for everyone by dumping their unwanted crap.

A truly parasitic bunch of scumbags.

Lol..even when miners aren't mining, they're still screwing things up for everyone by dumping their unwanted crap.

still on nvidia imo, they coulda easily setup ways so miners didnt buy every card they made, but theyre greedy and wanted all the money and led themselves to this spot.

People are buying that have no plans on waiting for rtx 4000 due to the prices being so low. I've been tempted with 3090 a few times but my 3080 is fine until the new cards come out.

Nvidia was late on making enough 3000 cards to deal with the crypto farmers in China. Now they are stuck holding the bag, and don't have enough 4000s made.

Makes little sense to delay. The majority of consumers have already caught on to this game so they are only delaying sales and profits .....

Card makers have warehouses full of Ampere cards that Nvidia made them pay outrageous amounts for that are unable3 to be sold at anywhere near what they paid. Good idea to p!ss off the people that you rely on to make your cards and burn them by bringing out Lovelace before that inventory is greatly reduced. They'd have a riot on there hands. Nvidia gouged the crap out of these makers with their ludicrous prices, so I hoipe they get smashed.

Card makers have warehouses full of Ampere cards that Nvidia made them pay outrageous amounts for that are unable3 to be sold at anywhere near what they paid. Good idea to p!ss off the people that you rely on to make your cards and burn them by bringing out Lovelace before that inventory is greatly reduced. They'd have a riot on there hands. Nvidia gouged the crap out of these makers with their ludicrous prices, so I hoipe they get smashed.

I think this is 100% incorrect

Any FE cards that were sold during the last year direct from NV or Best Buy were all at MSRP. It was the AIB’s themselves that increased prices to take advantage of miners.

If you were dumb enough to pay a miner price for a card over the last year you have no one to blame but yourself.

Nvidia is a business, they can see the writing on the wall, inflation is real, and they have left over product to sell. They are making the smart move.

People posting they are gonna lose them as a customer? lol, like they care, they know you’ll come crawling back to buy a face melting 4090ti cause your a fool whose money is easily parted.

Any FE cards that were sold during the last year direct from NV or Best Buy were all at MSRP. It was the AIB’s themselves that increased prices to take advantage of miners.

If you were dumb enough to pay a miner price for a card over the last year you have no one to blame but yourself.

Nvidia is a business, they can see the writing on the wall, inflation is real, and they have left over product to sell. They are making the smart move.

People posting they are gonna lose them as a customer? lol, like they care, they know you’ll come crawling back to buy a face melting 4090ti cause your a fool whose money is easily parted.

What FE cards????? Nvidia makes the card makers pay a certain price for the cards and then sets an MSRP barely above that price, so leaving tiny margin. Now the arse has fallen out of the market and the crypto crash, inventory is not moving. What ***** would pay full price for a Ampere.

might be literally face melting, maybe even house melting too

The FE cards were only available in some jurisdictions, and they sold out fast. I couldn't get hold of one, so I skipped the whole gen.

But I agree with you, there are a small number of people who'll pay anything, and Nvidia seem to know precisely how the gouge the hell out of them.

There are headwinds though. The mining bubble has popped. The whole consumer electronics industry is slowing down, AMD supposedly have a promising architecture in the works, and even with an underwhelming product Intel still have enough clout to gobble a chunk out of the OEM market. Nvidia also look to be bizarrely pursuing a power requirement strategy that could force a lot of enthusiasts into a pricy PSU upgrade.

Even with a delay to Lovelace I think there will be a lot of last gen stuff on the second hand market. I'm not holding my breath for price drops or anything, but I'm hoping Lovelace will at least have much better availability on launch.

This could also mean that the yields and profits of the ampere cards are really good that they are willing to milk it one quarter more. You don't hear them slowing down production of Ampere cards ( besides the 12 gig vram 3080) ; could mean they want to compete with the second hand market directly as well as Intel's Ark. Seems they really want to prevent Intel to gain any significant market share this time around. The mid to low end market is still selling above MSRP and has room to improve in terms of pricing. The ball seems to be in AMD's court. Rumors are 7000 series gpu have tensor cores and are more efficient and less power hungry but RT performance crown will go to Nvidia for next gen. In a recent Interview AMD was boasting about its next gen position in terms of multi chiplet design, Historically Nvidia would answer back or does the boasting but I have not heard anything yet.

Last edited:
Back