Running Fan at 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

princeton

Hi,

So I've got a GTX 260 216. I heard the GT200 Stock cooler is pretty good at keeping the card cool. I've heard with the fan around 80% you can get the clocks up to 800core 1600shader and 1100memory. Would running the fan at 100% severely reduce the fan/cards lifespan. I know saying "will making my card cooler by putting fan higher make it die faster" sounds dumb but would it reduce the life of the fan quite a bit or just a little bit. I'm just hoping to have it for 9-12 months. I don't really care about sound as I have an antec 900 running all fans at highest.

fans these days have a lifespan of 40,000 hours and up, so as my gramps used to say....let'er rip

I wouldn't worry about the fan's lifespan: should be longer than necessary.

Same goes for your graphic card's lifespan, assuming it doesn't burn up first because of some reason or another. Do keep in mind that before it even gets near that kind of temps, you should start seeing weird stuff on your monitor. What kinda stuff? You'd know when you see it. Usually the PC starts to lock up if it still gets hotter: kinda like a protective thing.

Also, if you're just using the card as it is expected to run (not overclocking, not changing any of the hardware on the card itself, nothing other than playing games) the card should work 100% fine, at least as long as the warranty, which I'm sure is longer than 12 months.

I wouldn't worry about the fan's lifespan: should be longer than necessary.

Same goes for your graphic card's lifespan, assuming it doesn't burn up first because of some reason or another. Do keep in mind that before it even gets near that kind of temps, you should start seeing weird stuff on your monitor. What kinda stuff? You'd know when you see it. Usually the PC starts to lock up if it still gets hotter: kinda like a protective thing.

Also, if you're just using the card as it is expected to run (not overclocking, not changing any of the hardware on the card itself, nothing other than playing games) the card should work 100% fine, at least as long as the warranty, which I'm sure is longer than 12 months.

Actually I will be overclocking it but the sucker isn't meant to last very long

If you're overclocking and using EVGA's Precision remember to disable the "Auto" in fan control when you set your graphics card profile (set manually) as the card's fan can either stay at 30% (stock 2-D desktop setting) or can jump up and down between 30 and 100% when you meet loading screen of map changes in some games. The changes are more irritating than having the card's fan set to one setting (80-100%) and will cause the cards PCB temp to fluctuate when the hot card is suddenly deprived of airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back