Rural hi-speed internet service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this is the right place for this question but I didn't see any other forum that might fit this question.

Does anyone have a RELIABLE hi-speed internet svc. that they can recommend for a rural area? My son lives in the San Antonio, Tx. area and is trying to move out to a rural location but is having difficulty in finding a reliable internet svc. He has to have the hi-speed svc. for his job requirements.
I know quite a few people use satellite but from what I hear they're just not that reliable.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Most good ones simply will not serve rural areas unless they can serve them well and take care of the repairs and maintenance. We like BlueSky for very rural areas...
In southern Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Texas, and New Mexico, there are no truly high speed services.
Just avoid Qwest, and avoid any contracts that require a one-year or two-year minimum. Sometimes you have to switch around to fix what is broken, and the long term contracts are awful. They turn you over to a collection agency if you attempt to protest the inadequate service. Qwest is one of those.

Have you looked into Verizon and/or AT&T Wireless Broadband.. If you can get a cell phone signal you can use any of these two.. They dont offer the same speed as let's say cable, but they are much faster than dial-up.. Another one is Cricket which is also available in the San Antonio area. check out this site for real time info http://www.dslreports.com/

Have you looked into Verizon and/or AT&T Wireless Broadband.. If you can get a cell phone signal you can use any of these two.. They dont offer the same speed as let's say cable, but they are much faster than dial-up.. Another one is Cricket which is also available in the San Antonio area. check out this site for real time info http://www.dslreports.com/

Wasn't aware that Cricket was offering the service and I don't think my son was either. I'll pass the info on to him, might have some possibilities.

Thanks gguerra for the info.

be CAUTIOUS; Web acces over a cell phone link can be very expensive as you pay by the kB downloaded.
If this is the best you can do, try to get an unlimited download data plan

be CAUTIOUS; Web acces over a cell phone link can be very expensive as you pay by the kB downloaded.
If this is the best you can do, try to get an unlimited download data plan

That would definitely be a factor as he spends 10 to 12 hrs./day on the internet. Only way he could afford something like that is to get his employer to pay the bill and they might have a problem with that. He works for a financial institution and they are extremely tight with their money when it comes to their employees.

Appreciate the response.

Thanks

There is prepaid internet cell service works like the pay version except you can get a better deal. I see one family friend who had it rigged up with Magic-link to DECT 6 phone he carries with his $50 a month internet cell service. He can on online and make regular calls at the same time. Though he'll need AC for his DEC. Crazy what guys would do. Note some of these services are 2G and not 3G or 4G.

I learned it thusly;

Went on a business trip and took my nice Nokia cell phone with me. My normal billing is ~$43-$53 USD.
I found some great locations and started taking pictures and then thought
"I didn't get the optional memory chip and will soon run out of memory -- First chance I get I had better email these home".
Worked like a charm, freed up phone memory and I could continue taking pictures.

When I got the bill later, it had grown from $43 to $96 !!! Ouch.
As the kids say MY BAD. Not preplanning to get a good data plan was an expensive mistake. And I only took 10-15 pictures!!
Imagine if I had enabled the browser and downloaded 40-50mB.

I learned it thusly;

Went on a business trip and took my nice Nokia cell phone with me. My normal billing is ~$43-$53 USD.
I found some great locations and started taking pictures and then thought
"I didn't get the optional memory chip and will soon run out of memory -- First chance I get I had better email these home".
Worked like a charm, freed up phone memory and I could continue taking pictures.

When I got the bill later, it had grown from $43 to $96 !!! Ouch.
As the kids say MY BAD. Not preplanning to get a good data plan was an expensive mistake. And I only took 10-15 pictures!!
Imagine if I had enabled the browser and downloaded 40-50mB.

Nothing like an outrageous bill to get a persons attention. Memory chip would be a good investment before the next time you decide to take a bunch of photos.

Have a good day.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back